Should the MI use tanks

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.

Should the Mobile Infantary use Tanks?

Yes
18
40%
No
17
38%
Whatever, I don't care this is retarded
10
22%
 
Total votes: 45
User avatar
MaxSteiner
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1594
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Superman or Green Lantern ain't got a-nothin' on me
Contact:

Should the MI use tanks

Postby MaxSteiner » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:00 am

Ok, as predicted this stupid tank arguament's gonna continue, and as usual neither sides going to conceed a single point ( Even though everyone knows MI with tanks is stupid and pee's all over the source material :lol:).
Since both camps have elaborated at great length theres no point going into any actual detail. so lets just have a vote and leave it at that.

And lets not hear anyone saying the forum isn't indicative of the SST fanbase when their side loses ok? :D
Quark wrote:EGADS! When did MAX BECOME THE VOICE OF REASON AROUND HERE?! :shock: :lol:
User avatar
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 7098
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 3:02 am
Location: TFCT Michael Fleming Folland
Contact:

Postby Hiromoon » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:29 am

Well, which source material? Even the one that forms the basis for the primary models we play with have things like IFVs and there was heavier vehicles on the drawing board by the creative staff.
ImageImage
Thanks Veon and ScipioAmericanus!
www.zupandevelopment.com
User avatar
MaxSteiner
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1594
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Superman or Green Lantern ain't got a-nothin' on me
Contact:

Postby MaxSteiner » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:30 am

OMG if it has a smiley emoticon its a joke! I'd have :evil: or :x if it was a bitchy comment :D
Quark wrote:EGADS! When did MAX BECOME THE VOICE OF REASON AROUND HERE?! :shock: :lol:
User avatar
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 7098
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 3:02 am
Location: TFCT Michael Fleming Folland
Contact:

Postby Hiromoon » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:32 am

My question still stands. :lol:
ImageImage
Thanks Veon and ScipioAmericanus!
www.zupandevelopment.com
User avatar
Lieutenant Rasczak
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3404
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:07 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK

Postby Lieutenant Rasczak » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:35 am

I vote Yes.

The idea that conventional Armour would be abandoned is illogical, in the same way Tanks would have limited applications - M.I. find would no doubt find situations where Tanks would be more use and more efficient.

Responding to Plasma Bug Barrages for example (especially knowing how reliable Fleet can be).
Last edited by Lieutenant Rasczak on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
S.I.C.O.N Command THE Place for SST Fans!
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/sicon/index.php?mforum=sicon
Image
User avatar
MaxSteiner
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1594
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Superman or Green Lantern ain't got a-nothin' on me
Contact:

Postby MaxSteiner » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:36 am

Ok, Im gonna counter that questtion with my own, how does a couple of brief snippets of footage IFV's, an episode where they requisition a civilian vehicle, and a piece of rejected concept art equal Mobile Infintary using tanks as standard piece of equipment? :D
Quark wrote:EGADS! When did MAX BECOME THE VOICE OF REASON AROUND HERE?! :shock: :lol:
User avatar
Lieutenant Rasczak
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3404
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:07 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK

Postby Lieutenant Rasczak » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:37 am

MaxSteiner wrote:Ok, Im gonna counter that questtion with my own, how does a couple of brief snippets of footage IFV's, an episode where they requisition a civilian vehicle, and a piece of rejected concept art equal Mobile Infintary using tanks as standard piece of equipment? :D
Because thats actual evidence, not lively opinion for a start.
S.I.C.O.N Command THE Place for SST Fans!
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/sicon/index.php?mforum=sicon
Image
User avatar
MaxSteiner
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1594
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Superman or Green Lantern ain't got a-nothin' on me
Contact:

Postby MaxSteiner » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:38 am

How is it evidence? Its conjecture supported with a piece of concept art.
Don't accues the other side of it and act like theres none of that going on in the tank camp :D
Quark wrote:EGADS! When did MAX BECOME THE VOICE OF REASON AROUND HERE?! :shock: :lol:
User avatar
Lieutenant Rasczak
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3404
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:07 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK

Postby Lieutenant Rasczak » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:43 am

MaxSteiner wrote:How is it evidence?

Because you see them, they are there.

Ground Vehicles and APC's are used, where there is one there are more (see, I can make assumptions too :p).

Although I agree the introduction of Tanks WOULD have a tendency to make for static game play, the easiest answer would be to have them but have specific scenarios for them to be used in.

Simple really.
S.I.C.O.N Command THE Place for SST Fans!
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/sicon/index.php?mforum=sicon
Image
User avatar
MaxSteiner
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1594
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Superman or Green Lantern ain't got a-nothin' on me
Contact:

Postby MaxSteiner » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:45 am

:roll:
Quark wrote:EGADS! When did MAX BECOME THE VOICE OF REASON AROUND HERE?! :shock: :lol:
User avatar
Gauntlet-
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:35 am

Postby Gauntlet- » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:48 am

One point I have not seen brought up is the sheer complexity of motor vehicles. SST the novel points out the relative complication of suits of course, but they are Much Much Much lighter and smaller. Adding their overall superiority to the tank they are very preferable for transporting via space ships.

I personally see tanks as local defense force units for police work, and militias. The MI may look into using them for their other forces against the Skinnies, but I think any attempt to use them against the bugs would be disastrous.

Concept Art Really Shouldn't Count. I say give the Power Suit MI a IFV it makes sense as something not usually seen in drop missions but in extended battles its a mini-barracks and suit recharge station...

But a front line battletank seems out of place when troopers have Javelin Launchers AND equivelent if not superior mobility. Also I think we should consider the possibility that air and orbital transport is simply not as expensive to their society as it is to ours. Making the need and value of the Tank less so.

Just 2 Cents.
Im Gauntlet
Joined: 25 Dec 2004
Posts: 412 + Current (900) = 1312:

Heres my Bugs and MI!

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/ ... 0Troopers/
User avatar
MaxSteiner
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1594
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Superman or Green Lantern ain't got a-nothin' on me
Contact:

Postby MaxSteiner » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:49 am

MaxSteiner wrote: ... and a piece of rejected concept art equal Mobile Infintary using tanks as standard piece of equipment? :D
Lieutenant Rasczak wrote:
Ground Vehicles and APC's are used, where there is one there are more (see, I can make assumptions too :p).
[/color]
Not a tank :D
Once again, noone is suggesting that there are no vehicles in the world of SST, nor are they saying that the MI are above using onsite assets in the completion of their missions.
If we're using clips from the cartoon to support conjecture, you never see any tanks in any of the transport vehicles suggesting they dont transport them between worlds :D
Quark wrote:EGADS! When did MAX BECOME THE VOICE OF REASON AROUND HERE?! :shock: :lol:
User avatar
Col_stone
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 592
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:47 pm

Postby Col_stone » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:02 am

Is there any limit to the amount of jumps a PAMI can get out of his jump-pack?

I wouldn't mind an APC for the LAMI, but the power armour and marauder-platoons should probably stick to their jumping around ;)
Image
User avatar
cOwgummi
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Stuttgart Bad Cannstatt, Germany
Contact:

Postby cOwgummi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:04 am

Col_stone wrote:Is there any limit to the amount of jumps a PAMI can get out of his jump-pack?

I wouldn't mind an APC for the LAMI, but the power armour and marauder-platoons should probably stick to their jumping around ;)
according to the rpg, yes. the standard powersuit reaches its fuellimit after a distance of 1000feet is jumped


edit:
also who is calling us retarted? come out and face the united wrath of pre- and antitank-nerds!!!
In the beginning, God created the rock.
And God said to the rock:
"Let you be Infantry"
and the rock replied:
"Alas, I cannot, for I am not hard enough."
User avatar
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 7098
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 3:02 am
Location: TFCT Michael Fleming Folland
Contact:

Postby Hiromoon » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:36 am

MaxSteiner wrote:How is it evidence? Its conjecture supported with a piece of concept art.
Don't accues the other side of it and act like theres none of that going on in the tank camp :D
How is it evidence? Easy.... it shows that they were looking at alternatives to simple IFVs. I mean, you should see the Marauder concepts they did, along with the Heinlein-esque suits too. Plus, it's a picture you can point to and say 'See, tank in SST'.
ImageImage
Thanks Veon and ScipioAmericanus!
www.zupandevelopment.com
User avatar
MaxSteiner
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1594
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Superman or Green Lantern ain't got a-nothin' on me
Contact:

Postby MaxSteiner » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:38 am

But the fact that it was rejected, and didn't make it into the series (Probably for much the same reason this arguament is happening), means it isn't in the source material, and hence cannot be used to support their existance as standard MI kit.
Quark wrote:EGADS! When did MAX BECOME THE VOICE OF REASON AROUND HERE?! :shock: :lol:
User avatar
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 7098
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 3:02 am
Location: TFCT Michael Fleming Folland
Contact:

Postby Hiromoon » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:40 am

Not really. Even though it was rejected, the concept was still there, and since they didn't really destroy it, it really does exist. Even better, those Heinlein suits were rejected, and since you didn't specify which source material... turn in your exosuits.
ImageImage
Thanks Veon and ScipioAmericanus!
www.zupandevelopment.com
User avatar
MaxSteiner
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1594
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Superman or Green Lantern ain't got a-nothin' on me
Contact:

Postby MaxSteiner » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:44 am

:roll:
Ok, I give up, you've been arguing for all this time, with a single piece of REJECTED concept art as one of your two arguaments!

You say that the fact that it was drawn is shown that it was considered.
Well it was considered and REJECTED , doesn't that ring alarm bells?
Theres a hell of alot of stuff thats considered and rejected. In none of those cases does that mean its in use :)
Quark wrote:EGADS! When did MAX BECOME THE VOICE OF REASON AROUND HERE?! :shock: :lol:
User avatar
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 7098
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 3:02 am
Location: TFCT Michael Fleming Folland
Contact:

Postby Hiromoon » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:49 am

Is that your best argument against having tanks in the game? Considering we've argued out the transport capabilities of the fleet, the fact that undermining doesn't seem to be that real of a danger for any semi-static group (given that the MI use trench warfare against a burrowing insect, along with, ha-ha-ha, fortifications like land mines and tank traps)..... Seriously, Max, you don't want tanks in the game, that's fine. There are those who DO want tanks or at least think there's room for tanks in the game. In fact, in Mongoose they have several APCs and variants with one that comes pretty darn close to being a tank (as ugly as it seems). So let us enjoy the SST Tank concept and give it a break.
ImageImage
Thanks Veon and ScipioAmericanus!
www.zupandevelopment.com
User avatar
MaxSteiner
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1594
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Superman or Green Lantern ain't got a-nothin' on me
Contact:

Postby MaxSteiner » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:51 am

No its not my best arguament.
You've heard plenty of arguaments durring the course of all this, and you've ignored them all, in favour of mentioning that theres a piece of rejected concept art, over and over again.

I can't be bothered.
If you're not willing to conceed a single point, bearing in mind that pretty much everyone who's argued against the MI having tanks is perfectly willing to see them use them if they're on site, or even let the LAMI use them, then theres no way its possible to reach agrement with you.

And if you can't even argue in an interesting manner I honestly can't be bothered. I'll argue with the Lt, and Pietia, but you're boring :D
Last edited by MaxSteiner on Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quark wrote:EGADS! When did MAX BECOME THE VOICE OF REASON AROUND HERE?! :shock: :lol:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests