So... why should I get B5 ACTA?

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Aussie-Richard
Stoat

So... why should I get B5 ACTA?

Postby Aussie-Richard » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:42 am

Ok, so I'm normally an historicals gamer, who got hooked into WoTC Star Wars prepaints, and thus into the Starship Battles. I have watched SOME B5, and enjoyed it. (I own the lot, courtesy of a friend who upgraded his VHS tapes to DVD. Got distracted 3/4 way through the first season by another friend who loaned me 'Firefly'. Now with a 3 year-old at home, any TV that doesn't have talking animals in a winner!) And I LOVE BFEvo!

This game calls to me, as I have been a Sci Fi fan for too many years. (Grew up on a steady diet of Doctor Who... scarred me for life, and yet still I watch!)... BUT do I need another game? And will I enjoy it MORE than Starship Battles? (I figured out how to trounce the enemy everytime in that one... kinda sucked the fun out!)

Oh, and I can paint, so not being pre-paints doesn't scare me off. Previously mentioned 3 year old daughter & her little sister mean that anything pre-painted is a bonus... but I have played with "Black Watch" units before!

So fans of the game... should I shell out?
"It's better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees." Midnite Oil: The Power & The Passion.
M1ndr1d3rs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby M1ndr1d3rs » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:49 am

Quoting G'Kar (rest in peace, Andreas): "Why Not?
What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so.
Mark Twain
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:54 am

If you start by getting the books and counter set, you can play any number of different fleets. There is definitely no single "...and I win." strategy and being able to try all the different fleets first without spending $1,000 on every miniature Mongoose produces makes learning the game immensely more fun.

It's simple, flexible, and copes with different 'scales' of fight well;
from a half-dozen patrol ships to several dozen mega-destroyers-of-doom-laden-with-alien-technology (TM).

I can't really compare it with Starship Battles, not having played that game. But it's very good fun.
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
CheesyRobMan
Banded Mongoose

Postby CheesyRobMan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:56 am

I would say go for it. The models are easy to paint although you can put as much detail as you want into them, and the rules are simple enough with just the odd strange one here and there. If you don't fancy shelling out for or painting lots of models, you can use the counters that (used to) come with the game - they're still available afaik. Most of all, it's a fun game - I don't think I've come away from any game of ACTA thinking "man, that was boring" or "that sucked".

But then, I may be slightly biased :D
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!"
steelvow
Mongoose

Postby steelvow » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:56 am

To stay simple:

Nice rules, not too complicated, but not too simple (such as SWSB, wich is simply "let's roll dices and see what happens"), ACTA is a real strategy mini game.

LOTS of minis, differents fleets, nearly every B5 ship is here, and many more that haven't shown on TV...

On the con side, they are having big trouble distributing the latest minis (I need a Cidikaaaar !!!), so some of those nicely done new ships are not yet available.

But frankly, it's a GREAT game, not THAT expensive (try a fleet box, it contains every ship necessary for a 5 Battle (the point system here) ship engagment.) and very rich.
A+
Steelvow

"Behold the Queen, The Queen of Queens,
On your Knees, dog !"
"Time to play the GAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIM"
Aussie-Richard
Stoat

Postby Aussie-Richard » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:02 am

Ok.... That works for me! Many thanks, one and all... time to give the credit card a beating!

(At least now, when The Financial Controller questions the sudden increase in Defence Budget spending, I can say that I did do the research first!)
"It's better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees." Midnite Oil: The Power & The Passion.
H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:05 am

Well good luck with it, feel free top ask daft rules questions, and tactical tips for various fleets. we are always ready with a snarky comment, as well as well meaning and useful advice. We can be a weird and Quirky bunch, but I notice you are in Australia, so you should feel at home ;-)
I AM RONIN!
Banichi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Banichi » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:17 am

I would diffinately recomend getting the counters and giving ACTA a go. Using the counters lets you have a go with most of the fleets in the game, so you can decide which fleet suits you before shelling out for minies. Or you can stick to counters. ACTAs is an easy game to get into as the rules are not overly complex, or tricky, and most games flow along quite nicely. And, to quote CheesyRobMan, I don't think I have ever had a game that sucked. Even in games were I've gone down in a screaming heap,(theres been a few) I've had fun.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!!!
ImageImage
Aussie-Richard
Stoat

Postby Aussie-Richard » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:17 am

hiffano wrote:Well good luck with it, feel free top ask daft rules questions, and tactical tips for various fleets. we are always ready with a snarky comment, as well as well meaning and useful advice. We can be a weird and Quirky bunch, but I notice you are in Australia, so you should feel at home ;-)
So.... lots of Aussies here, or Aussies are weird & quirky?

And no, I don't have a pet kangaroo... and my wife is not a ewe. (That's the Kiwis!)
H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:19 am

could be the weird and quirky bit ;-)

as for Aussie on here, I think we have 1 other.
I'd love a pet kanagaroo, i'd teach it to box all the chav's who walk past my house!
I AM RONIN!
Aussie-Richard
Stoat

Postby Aussie-Richard » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:20 am

Aussie-Richard wrote:
hiffano wrote:Well good luck with it, feel free top ask daft rules questions, and tactical tips for various fleets. we are always ready with a snarky comment, as well as well meaning and useful advice. We can be a weird and Quirky bunch, but I notice you are in Australia, so you should feel at home ;-)
So.... lots of Aussies here, or Aussies are weird & quirky?

And no, I don't have a pet kangaroo... and my wife is not a ewe. (That's the Kiwis!)
Reads location of helpful player above his last post... :oops:
Banichi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Banichi » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:21 am

Aussie-Richard wrote:And no, I don't have a pet kangaroo... and my wife is not a ewe. (That's the Kiwis!)
:lol: I don't know. Have 29 million (around about) sheep in your country and people make all sorts of assumptions :lol:
ImageImage
Aussie-Richard
Stoat

Postby Aussie-Richard » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:24 am

hiffano wrote:could be the weird and quirky bit ;-)

as for Aussie on here, I think we have 1 other.
I'd love a pet kanagaroo, i'd teach it to box all the chav's who walk past my house!
Lack of Aussies: No prob.. I will always happily recruit/pressgang friends into playing!

Pet Kangaroo: Bugger to take for a walk tho! And not so easy to house train. You may think that it has been raining sultanas for the first few days... until you eat some.........
Aussie-Richard
Stoat

Postby Aussie-Richard » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:28 am

Banichi wrote: :lol: I don't know. Have 29 million (around about) sheep in your country and people make all sorts of assumptions :lol:
I have heard that Kiwi's have a good sense of humour... I suppose it helps! If we Aussies didn't have the Kiwi's to pick on, we might have got around to doing something useful in the world!
Banichi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Banichi » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:41 am

Aussie-Richard wrote:
Banichi wrote: :lol: I don't know. Have 29 million (around about) sheep in your country and people make all sorts of assumptions :lol:
I have heard that Kiwi's have a good sense of humour... I suppose it helps!
It does. I did a bit of an oe about ten years ago, and the amount of people who said things to the tune of "the place with the sheep" or "do you farm sheep" suprized me a bit. At times it seemed that all the rest of the world knew about NZ was 'we got sheep' :lol:

That aside ACTAs is a very good game.
ImageImage
H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:47 am

nah, we also know lord of the rings was filmed there, and you used to be good at rugby.
I AM RONIN!
Banichi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Banichi » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:50 am

hiffano wrote:nah, we also know lord of the rings was filmed there, and you used to be good at rugby.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImage
Taran
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Taran » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:03 pm

Anyway, you could also get into ACTA the way I did:

Upon seeing a starter box for B5Wars I rushed over to the owner of my local games store and said, breathlessly, "There's a B5 mini game?!"
"um, yeah. Has been for awhile."
"Got any more than just this box?!"
"No, but I can order some."
"Get me 1 of everything!!"
"sure. $300 please..."
"Well, if it isn't, then it's not.
But if it is...
Well, there you are."
walkerd
Shrew

Postby walkerd » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:11 pm

<===== Also in Sydney

I have only recently purchased the rules, but have to say these seem worth the money. I have yet to paly but am an avid sc-fi fan, B5 in particular and have played Star Fleet Battles and B5 Wars.

Just a short note on miniatures. Regardless if I ever play the game I intend to purchase a couple of fleets. Being such a huge fan of the series it will be worth the effort just to own the models.

The rules look really good. There are certainly some minor issues but nothing that can not be worked out.
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:14 pm

Taran wrote:Anyway, you could also get into ACTA the way I did:

Upon seeing a starter box for B5Wars I rushed over to the owner of my local games store and said, breathlessly, "There's a B5 mini game?!"
"um, yeah. Has been for awhile."
"Got any more than just this box?!"
"No, but I can order some."
"Get me 1 of everything!!"
"sure. $300 please..."
Talk about enthusiastic! :lol:

ACTA is fun and tactical. It doesn't have masses of record keeping, or take masses of time to pick a fleet. It is a simple and straightforward game that rewards thoughful play. The models are stunning.
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral