Does it really matter who the NDA Co. is at this point?

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
JayRaider
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1747
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:41 pm
Location: Dublin Ireland

Does it really matter who the NDA Co. is at this point?

Postby JayRaider » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:53 pm

Just wondering, this NDA company, most believe its a software game company with lots of licences and connections.
Does it really matter to you who it is at this point?
For me, BFE appears dead from Mongoose's point of view. Some mutated EVO games with the new licences will appear.
These don't interest me.
I liked BFE.
The NDA Co. carrot just ain't working for us BFE gamers and we're showing this by hitting Mongoose with the stick (from my reading of the net). :)

P.S. To moderators: if you feel this post needs to be removed? Have the manners to give me an explanation (not like the last few times!!!). I think i deserve it after spending so much money with you on ACTA/BFE!
Armchair_Marine
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:21 pm

Postby Armchair_Marine » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:47 pm

Personally I always felt BFE models needed A LOT of improvement. And if this mystery company will help achieve that it will be worth the wait.
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2422
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:43 pm
Location: Gloucester, UK

Postby DM » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:08 pm

When its all done and dusted it will be interesting to see whether there was actually any good reason for all this NDA mularky, or whether it was all just hype.
DM's naval website, now moved to the NWS site
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/nav ... links.html
Co-author "Order of Battle"
Author, "Age of Dreadnoughts"
Bloke who paints VAS ships for Matt
Bacon Number of 4 :D
Lorcan Nagle
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2404
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:46 am
Location: Ireland

Postby Lorcan Nagle » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:26 am

I'm pretty sure it'll be worth it. Mongoose have taken a total ass-kicking these last 18-odd months and I do believe them when they say they're trying to sort it out.
Image
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2422
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:43 pm
Location: Gloucester, UK

Postby DM » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:33 am

No, what i mean is whether the whole NDA element of the current situation is worth it, or whether there is a lot of corporate "willy waving" going on (I've experienced this many, may times working with "precious" companies and corporations - perhaps it is someone along these lines with whom MGP is currently negotiating).

I'm sure the end result will be worth waiting for
DM's naval website, now moved to the NWS site
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/nav ... links.html
Co-author "Order of Battle"
Author, "Age of Dreadnoughts"
Bloke who paints VAS ships for Matt
Bacon Number of 4 :D
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose
Posts: 19697
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:27 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Postby lastbesthope » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:21 pm

Well someone obviously is of the opinion that the company's name is important enoughto be kept secret or said information wouldn't be covered by the NDA.

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
Xorrandor
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Postby Xorrandor » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:53 pm

lastbesthope wrote:Well someone obviously is of the opinion that the company's name is important enoughto be kept secret or said information wouldn't be covered by the NDA.
And that's the question: is it someone with a legitimate concern, or just someone who just reflexively slaps an NDA on everything?
Aussie-Richard
Stoat
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:10 am
Location: Southwest Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Postby Aussie-Richard » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:39 am

lastbesthope wrote:Well someone obviously is of the opinion that the company's name is important enoughto be kept secret or said information wouldn't be covered by the NDA.

LBH
Oftentimes, the fact that 'someone' thinks that something is important or true, doesn't always make it so... Can we all say WMD?

Besides, people taking their secrets, opinions and beliefs (and most probably, themselves...) altogether too seriously is why this world is as screwed up as it is!

On the bright side, though... we get a hobby! :D
"It's better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees." Midnite Oil: The Power & The Passion.
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose
Posts: 8845
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:58 am
Location: Kettering UK
Contact:

Postby Greg Smith » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:43 am

I think what the OP means, is that,whoever the NDA partner company is, BFE as we know it will no longer be supported. The ultra-modern, quasi-realistic, 15-years-in-the-future wargame will be replaced by something new and different.
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
Xorrandor
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Postby Xorrandor » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:03 pm

Greg Smith wrote:I think what the OP means, is that,whoever the NDA partner company is, BFE as we know it will no longer be supported. The ultra-modern, quasi-realistic, 15-years-in-the-future wargame will be replaced by something new and different.
I'm actually not taking that as a given yet. It sounds to me like we might get a connected series of quasi-realistic, 15-years-in-the-future minigames that are interoperable. "Riot in Bagdhad" matches US Marines against rioting Iraqis, with rules for hidden insurgents and explosives. "Orient Express" matches teams of spies as they try to steal vital information without getting caught. And now you have the option of sending a team of spies into a building guarded by US Marines, if you combine the sets.

It could work, but I'm not sure about the sliding skirmish<->squad scale. That would seem to call for SFB-levels of rules organization, which kind of ruins the whole simple vibe that Evo has now.
Wishbone
Mongoose
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:58 pm

Postby Wishbone » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:30 pm

thats the pic i've got in my mind too. I think BE as we know it will still be there, but as a supplement to a greater and more encompassing game.

well, fingers crossed anyway.
Lorcan Nagle
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2404
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:46 am
Location: Ireland

Postby Lorcan Nagle » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:28 pm

Rereading the state of the mongoose address suggests that BF:Evo is going to continue just with unpainted minis, and the games produced with the NDA company (and maybe more mongoose-specific ones) will be the later games mentioned. Presumably it'll be the later games that are lower-level and have the more detailed rules.

That said, there's no reason why the more detailed rules will negate the current stat cards, or that Mongoose can't just publish free stats (or include them in a rulebook) for the existing models.
Image
PilGrim
Mongoose
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:17 pm

Postby PilGrim » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm

I pretty much gave in on BFE and moved to AT43 a couple of months ago. While there are still problems over in AT43land, the difference in approach has been most welcome.

As for BFE, well, this message may as well have RIP at the end. Without the prepaints it becomes just another set of modern skirmish rules. I can't honestly see MGP bothering with metals - the whole modern metal thing is so well covered by others.

Anyway, good luck
shotgun-toting chipmunk
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 816
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 8:19 am

Postby shotgun-toting chipmunk » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:57 pm

I do prefer the idea of prepaints for BF:Evo. Made it a lot easier to get into the game.

However, there is something else that makes BF:Evo models stand out from the rest, and what has kept me from looking at other companies to expand on my forces: Realistic proportions. Pretty much every modern line I've seen is too beefy, cartoonish, or has really big heads and/or weapons in relation to the body. BF:Evo models actually look proper for actual humans, and I like that.
www.zupandevelopment.com
-------------------------------------------------------
"Lord I pray for the eyes of an eagle, the heart of a lion, and the balls of a combat helicopter pilot." -Fighter Pilot's Prayer
darklord4
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:45 pm
Location: Chandler, AZ

Postby darklord4 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:17 pm

PilGrim wrote:Without the prepaints it becomes just another set of modern skirmish rules.
I have several armies worth of minis from other sources. The most annoying thing was keeping the scale the same as BFE in the off chance I would meet another BFE player besides my stepson. I wonder if MGP has considered taking the same approach as Victory at Sea and just provide the rules/stats and let the players come up with their own minis.
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose
Posts: 8845
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:58 am
Location: Kettering UK
Contact:

Postby Greg Smith » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:29 pm

They have kind of done that with the stat cards in S&P.
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
dsfrankevo
Mongoose
Posts: 184
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:17 pm
Location: Cinci OH area, Erlanger KY

Postby dsfrankevo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:07 pm

darklord4 wrote:
PilGrim wrote:Without the prepaints it becomes just another set of modern skirmish rules.
I have several armies worth of minis from other sources. The most annoying thing was keeping the scale the same as BFE in the off chance I would meet another BFE player besides my stepson. I wonder if MGP has considered taking the same approach as Victory at Sea and just provide the rules/stats and let the players come up with their own minis.
That looks to be the path they are taking with the WWII version of the game and possibly a WWI version as well.

Truth is we can pretty much do that with the BF Evo stuff as well - pick a scale & go - most of the gang on Evocommand.com are moving towards 1/72 - a few of us will stick with 28mm BIG stuff - there are lots of options & different cards for modern stuff on evocommand.com & the main card poster - Pietia - will do custom requests if you need something that doesn't yet have a card
"You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity. Farewell!"
Buzz Lightyear

Image
kodiak155
Weasel
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:01 am

NDA company - who cares?

Postby kodiak155 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:05 am

Besides from general curiousity, I could care less about who the NDA company is. It's not the reason I liked the game. The proposed plan for metal minitures is a HUGE mistake. Some of the folks that I've played table top games with in the past have given up on it entirely - the store I went to doesn't even carry the minitures anymore. Instead, they're playing a game called AT43 produced by Rackham. Different premise - scifi based table-top strategy game; but similar idea in producing and marketing pre-painted game-pieces. Rackham has not only produced several different units for the original three different factions, it's expanding it game with introducing a fourth faction - and I'm not kidding about this - they're space monkeys. So, Mongoose needs to sh*t or get off the pot! There are already several companies that are producing metal minitures that can be used in BFE (Devil Dogg Designs, for instance); and there are already a couple of games requiring models to be assembled and painted (shall I say Flames of War and ......OMG.......WARHAMMER & 40k?) So, to whomever works at the company who may chance to read this, I say to you this...........Keep It Simple and Stupid!!!!! The more complex you try to make this.......and yes, Mongoose IS trying to make it more complicated......the more likely it is to fail; to be forgotten by the side of the road like a dead animal.
demonllamma
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:06 am
Location: London, England (for a few months anyhow)

Re: NDA company - who cares?

Postby demonllamma » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:38 am

kodiak155 wrote:Besides from general curiousity, I could care less about who the NDA company is. It's not the reason I liked the game. The proposed plan for metal minitures is a HUGE mistake. Some of the folks that I've played table top games with in the past have given up on it entirely - the store I went to doesn't even carry the minitures anymore. Instead, they're playing a game called AT43 produced by Rackham. Different premise - scifi based table-top strategy game; but similar idea in producing and marketing pre-painted game-pieces. Rackham has not only produced several different units for the original three different factions, it's expanding it game with introducing a fourth faction - and I'm not kidding about this - they're space monkeys. So, Mongoose needs to sh*t or get off the pot! There are already several companies that are producing metal minitures that can be used in BFE (Devil Dogg Designs, for instance); and there are already a couple of games requiring models to be assembled and painted (shall I say Flames of War and ......OMG.......WARHAMMER & 40k?) So, to whomever works at the company who may chance to read this, I say to you this...........Keep It Simple and Stupid!!!!! The more complex you try to make this.......and yes, Mongoose IS trying to make it more complicated......the more likely it is to fail; to be forgotten by the side of the road like a dead animal.
From what I understand, the nonpainted stuff is something of a holdover until they can get everything squared away with the mysterious Company X (cue dramatic music).
I am a proud citizen of California and the 48 lesser states. Florida, you dont count because we used the EXACT SAME BALLOTS FOR YEARS!
tiepilot1138
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: NDA company - who cares?

Postby tiepilot1138 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:28 pm

demonllamma wrote:From what I understand, the nonpainted stuff is something of a holdover until they can get everything squared away with the mysterious Company X (cue dramatic music).
The problem with this is that the wargame crowd (and hobbyists in general) are a fickle crowd. They aren't going to wait 2 years (and by the time the pre-paints come out again we'll be going on at least 18 months, assuming that they actually meet this estimate). They are going to move onto something else. By the time BFE gets back on it's feet, gamer's money will be invested in something else.

I'm not getting rid of my stuff, but I'm looking for the next thing out there now too. I'm getting real tired of waiting.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests