Miniatures or not??

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Gollum9
Shrew

Miniatures or not??

Postby Gollum9 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:01 pm

I picked up a signed copy of the 2e books at Gencon UK and am really looking at getting back into the game. I had a chat with one of the guys running the demo (really helpful) and the changes really seem to remove some of the things that annoyed me in 1e. I always played 1e with counters but am now considering getting some miniatures. What would your advice be?

I could keep playing counters and have access to most of the fleets. I am also aware that fleet action models are available from AOG but the new mongoose models are at the bigger scale. I am also wondering what is used in tournaments as although I have only played a few games, I would like at some point to come to one of the tounaments (possibly Swindon as it seems to be the nearest to me).

Any help would be much appreciated!
JayRaider
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby JayRaider » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:10 pm

Fleet action scale is allowed for tourneys.
Its upto your personal taste on what scale you prefer.
I think the majority of players in tourney use ACTA scale but there is still alot of FA scale players. :)
Triggy
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Triggy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:24 pm

If you're experienced in the game and thinking about getting miniatures now then it may be a good chance to dive in with some of the new stuff - maybe Gaim or Psi Corps (they blend into an EA fleet too), or some of the fleets with less choice in 1st ed. such as Vree or Brakiri.

Of course, the staples of EA, Minbari, Centauri, Narn and ISA are always good too :)
"Sir, the enemy have us completely surrounded."
"Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

ACtA Playtester

Triggy's Fantasy Formula 1
David, Anla Shok'
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby David, Anla Shok' » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:47 pm

If you go with FA scale ships, you will miss out on many ship types that never appeared while AOG was producing, not to mention the new new fleets.
Regards,
We are Anla Shok. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. "David. From nowhere in particular. Shok'Na, Captain. I'm looking for something."
Arch Lector Petrovski
Banded Mongoose

Postby Arch Lector Petrovski » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:01 pm

That and the new box sets are actually really good value, especially for a starting fleet. I'm largely counters at the moment, due to low founds and a multitude of other life based issues such as time. However a miniatures fleet has always been on the cards and looks a thousand times better than the counters, plus they don't get blown around or caught on sleeves and move several inches from where they were. I suggest you use the counters, if you still have them, to play test the fleets you're interested in and use that to decide which one you like the best and suits your style the most and then order that box set.
wkehrman
Banded Mongoose

Postby wkehrman » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:03 pm

David, Anla Shok' wrote:If you go with FA scale ships, you will miss out on many ship types that never appeared while AOG was producing, not to mention the new new fleets.
Regards,
AHHHH! My Eyes! Where's a melon baller when you really need one?
Captain_Nemo
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Captain_Nemo » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:15 pm

Go with the New minis. Even the counters available do not have all the ships in existence. I don't think that there is any Marathon Cruisers, Nemesis Destroyers, Adira, or several other ships ships of varying Priority Level that only exist in miniatures form for now.
I said,"Qapla! Baaaaby!"
darknight
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby darknight » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:35 pm

yea def go for minis, you cant beat the look of all your ships on the table fighting the enemy, but use your counters till you get em, replace as you can afford
si vis pacem para bellum
David, Anla Shok'
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby David, Anla Shok' » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:44 pm

"We" use the counters when the game gets up to eight or ten Armageddon points.. you can never have enough fighters ;)
Regards,
We are Anla Shok. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. "David. From nowhere in particular. Shok'Na, Captain. I'm looking for something."
Arch Lector Petrovski
Banded Mongoose

Postby Arch Lector Petrovski » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:07 pm

Good point, I wouldn't worry about getting enough fighters for all your ships when you start getting the minis. Use counters or rely on the fact that enough of them should die so that they will never all be out at one time anyway. Unless you choose the Gaim in which case about 90% of the models in your force couldwell be fighters.
Lord David the Denied
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Lord David the Denied » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:37 pm

Get some models, it's far better to have a painted fleet you've worked on yourself for games rather than printed card counters. There's no soul in counters, and being gamers, we're more superstitious than sailors and farmers combined... :P
David, Anla Shok'
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby David, Anla Shok' » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:41 pm

Lord David the Denied wrote:Get some models, it's far better to have a painted fleet you've worked on yourself for games rather than printed card counters. There's no soul in counters, and being gamers, we're more superstitious than sailors and farmers combined... :P
Yes, remember, it is important to paint them beginning at the stroke of midnight, during the full moon, while chanting something appropriate and don't forget to guzzle large quantities of scotch. :>
Regards,
angelus2000
Banded Mongoose

Postby angelus2000 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:46 pm

Generous sacrificing of chickens to Joeboo helps too. I was consuimng chicken strips during my Command Omega building, they've been lucky ever since
"And what will you do then?"
"I will push that button over there and then I will pray very,very fast.

"It won't be pretty, but it might be fun!"
David, Anla Shok'
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby David, Anla Shok' » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:26 am

angelus2000 wrote:Generous sacrificing of chickens to Joeboo helps too. I was consuimng chicken strips during my Command Omega building, they've been lucky ever since
Indeed. A bucket of chicken and some beer before a game will ensure that Joboo blesses your dice ;)
Arch Lector Petrovski
Banded Mongoose

Postby Arch Lector Petrovski » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:56 am

I think that actors are slightly more superstitious, but only slightly based on my experience. *MacBeth!*
Banichi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Banichi » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:09 am

If you enjoy painting at all I'd recomend collecting a small fleet or two. Painting and assembling minies is as much a hobby as gamning, and can be just as rewarding. Also, if you are used to painting figures for something like a gw game, painting ships presents a different set of challanges. They are more forgiving to paint than some ultra detailed fugure, but you can still go to town and do a prize winning job if you like. Also it is kind of cool watching your ships, that you have worked on, sweep your enemy off the table. (or not, as in the case of my last game. dratted vree :lol: )
These pretzels are making me thirsty!!!
ImageImage
Shallowain
Weasel

Postby Shallowain » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:19 pm

Arch Lector Petrovski wrote:I think that actors are slightly more superstitious, but only slightly based on my experience. *MacBeth!*
Let me guess, Black Adder?
Lorcan Nagle
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Lorcan Nagle » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:28 pm

Shallowain wrote:
Arch Lector Petrovski wrote:I think that actors are slightly more superstitious, but only slightly based on my experience. *MacBeth!*
Let me guess, Black Adder?
It's actually a real acting tradition. someoen mentioned it to Michael York when filming "A late delivery form Avalon" and he did the ritual

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries ... 51.html#JS has some details.
Lord David the Denied
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Lord David the Denied » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:07 pm

Yeah, actors refer to MacBeth as "The Scottish Play." Not sure what the origin of the superstition is but it's meant to be bad luck to say the name aloud if you're an actor. Bizarre stuff.
David, Anla Shok'
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby David, Anla Shok' » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:22 pm

No! No! Call it the "scottish play"!!

(doing the chant and dance from Blackadder episode)