Good Quality Models I Say!

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
JayRaider
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Good Quality Models I Say!

Postby JayRaider » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:44 am

I just started at BFE and i wanted to take this opportunity to say how good the models are.
I've read alot of stuff about the models being poor quality with equally poor paint jobs etc.
So, i wanted take a few moments to counter this perceptiion.
I got some ETFT yesterday.
My friend was present when i opened them and the both of us were totally impressed with them especially the Challenger, its awesome, it excudes menace.
The MEA Technicals are super too and all my friends thought that they rocked when they saw them.

Heres my rating for the paint jobs : 8/10 on the infantry (which is better than i can paint, besides i'm sick and tired of painting).

Any things that can do improved?
Some Machine gun barrels are slightly warped out of the box.
Can't think of anything else right now. :)
The Old Soldier
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby The Old Soldier » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:07 am

You can straighten them with the hot water, cold water method. So that is NO BIG DEAL. :D
"On the Bounce"
shotgun-toting chipmunk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby shotgun-toting chipmunk » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:52 am

Good to see I'm not the only one that feels that way :) I haven't been very vocal on my opinion of how good the models are, but I guess I can go ahead and say I agree with you. I even like the original Wave 1s I have, although the Wave 2s are even better.
www.zupandevelopment.com
-------------------------------------------------------
"Lord I pray for the eyes of an eagle, the heart of a lion, and the balls of a combat helicopter pilot." -Fighter Pilot's Prayer
Richgo22
Banded Mongoose

Postby Richgo22 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:24 pm

My opinion too. The models are good. Good enough for me as a gamer! I am no artist!!!
Me and my friend got Brit infantry and a Challenger, and Technicals and Fedayeen. All are great!
War disgusts. Art inspires. The art of war has to balance both.
CaseyGMU
Weasel

Postby CaseyGMU » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:53 pm

I'm an avid painter, I paint a LOT, but I have no desire to paint camo.

That being said, the models are rather quite good. They're definately tabletop quality, which shouldn't be a bad word, and they look really keen.

I'm a fan and can't wait to see what Mongoose comes out with next when they switch factories.
Rob_A
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rob_A » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:43 pm

I think they are great for the lazy ones among us.
I am repainting mine for that personal touch. I play MEA though, so in the case of the foot sloggers, I am less likely to bother with them. Just touch them up and highlights. :)
I just wish there was more stuff. :?
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:29 pm

Not trying to hijack your thread, but here is a questoin:
which is better quality, if you have seen them in person that is:
AT43, or BFE?
The Old Soldier
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby The Old Soldier » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:46 am

Then don't Hjack the thread!!! :lol:

If you want prepainted 28/39mm Sci-Fi now, buy AT43. If you wait though you will get a better game with SSTevo.

If you want near future ultra modern 25mm, then BFE is the ticket.

Both are good for what they are. 'Nuff said.
"On the Bounce"
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:00 am

Wel the ideas is that I play and buy all of them, once I aquire the funds, but I have som eAT43 already, only the Damocles box. I was just wondering if anyone had put some minis from each game beside one another and thought 'Which one is the best paint job'.
I like BFE, and I was considering getting it, but this question at the moment is more out of curiosity than 'what should I buy?'.
I will probably end up getting both, but as I have so many sci fi minis as it is, BFE seems like the more immediate choice.
Chiwie
Banded Mongoose

Postby Chiwie » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:07 pm

the evo figs are quite good, a little on the pricey side thou.

and with a repaint they look great. i gotta get pics of my mates EFTF online one day.
brook
Banded Mongoose

BFEVO infantry are better.

Postby brook » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:20 pm

The paint job on my BFEVO miniatures are good. As for Evolution v. at-43, the vehicles in at-43 are topnotch, but you pay for it. Evolution has better painted and more realistic infantry. But at-43 is a threat to SST because by the end of the summer, it should have 4 books out and a ton of miniatures.
CaseyGMU
Weasel

Postby CaseyGMU » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:05 pm

I prefer the BF:Evo figures.

They have better proportions and they have more details painted.

The AT43 figures have been given a coat of paint and then a wash on top and it makes them look very dirty. Plus the proportions of the weapons are ridiculous and make 40k weapons look realistic by comparison.

I also don't want to paint camo so the BF:Evo figures get a huge boost in my eyes.
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:17 pm

Ah, I forgot about the cammo. that makes BFE one up in my book.
I suppose if I just happen to have some cash to spare I may just have to buy some Marines and an Abrams. But then I'll have to get some PLA to fight against them with. What an ordeal... :D
Lorcan Nagle
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Lorcan Nagle » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:09 am

The Wave 1 minis were passable to good, but the wave 2 and 3 stuff showed a marked improvement. I love my Warriors and SAS team (and my Fedayeen and Tunguska!)
Xorrandor
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Xorrandor » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:36 pm

Honestly, I prefer the AT-43 paint jobs. But the BFE ones are perfectly acceptable to play with (as others have said: better than I would do), and the rules are much better. I'd prefer SST:Evo, but until that gets released I'll get my practice in on the bloody fields of Donundastan.
The Old Soldier
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby The Old Soldier » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:29 pm

I have seen the AT stuff, and I really don't see what the big deal is. The war machines are painted nicely, but then again, they are simple to paint. The foot on the otherhand, are nothing special. meh.

BFE are fine. Even the first way was okay. I don't expect prepaints by a company to be anything super. Just average. The camo jobs were done quite well. The eyes, and sometimes the straps on the MEA were not stellar. But with a quick touch up, they work well for me. The rest the Marine, EFTF, and PLA I thought were very good for prepaints. I don't know why some rag on about the MP paint jobs? You can't expect expert quality from a assembly line. If MP lowered the quality a little, they could really decrease the price, and I would be overjoyed, since I would be repainted them anyhow.

I still thing a loose bag of unpainted, unassembled models that could be ordered directly from MP would have helped big time. The historical community, and those who like to paint would have bought them up. I would have bought much more if they were done that way. Would have made it easy for players to paint their own special armies.
"On the Bounce"
brook
Banded Mongoose

Postby brook » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:33 pm

[quote="CaseyGMU"]The AT43 figures have been given a coat of paint and then a wash on top and it makes them look very dirty. Plus the proportions of the weapons are ridiculous and make 40k weapons look realistic by comparison.
quote]

My AT-43 stryders look excellent. I expect my combat troops to look dirty. Besides, If you think the weapons in AT-43 look big, then you should look at an MEA soldier standing next to an M-1 tank. The M-1 looks slightly larger than a go-cart.

I think the Infantry should be reduced in scale to match the vehicles. But I like the game and can live with the problem.
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:26 pm

I don't it is as bad as the first rhinos and space marines.
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:54 am

Hmm sorry but I gave up Bat Evo partly cos so unimpressed by minatures - although not impressed by AT43 either.

Compare them to recent Horrorclix figures - eg AVP figures - far superior - all different, excellent poses, excellently painted - great mintaures and usable with my other figures.

Get 8 brilliant Aliens or Predators for same price as 10 at best average painted and boring looking infantry from whichever nation.

..............HerocScape also has far better poses even if the paiting is not great.

I was really looking forward to pre paints cos I am so bad as well...

Have fun :)
MaxSteiner
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Location: Superman or Green Lantern ain't got a-nothin' on me

Postby MaxSteiner » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:02 pm

Gotta agree DaBoss.
Rackham and Mongoose (and Reaper too now) are catching up quickly, but they're still a ways behind Hasbro and Wizkids in terms of quality of paintjobs and variation.
Quark wrote:EGADS! When did MAX BECOME THE VOICE OF REASON AROUND HERE?! :shock: :lol: