S&P47 ACTA Review

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:57 pm

Lone Gunman wrote:
Assuming the background pages are accurate, it seems that the Corvan moved up from patrol to skirmish, and the Rothan moved from raid to skirmish as well and fell to hull 5 (no complaints on either of those changes). I can zoom in enough to see the blurry lettering.
When hearing that, I hope they knew what they did when they talked about balancing. So, why then is the Hyperion still raid leven even if it is only as good other races skirmish choices.? :?
again, assumptions, it has a 4 dice beam people!! that isn't your average skirmish level weapon!
I AM RONIN!
Triggy
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Triggy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:00 pm

Lone Gunman wrote:When hearing that, I hope they knew what they did when they talked about balancing. So, why then is the Hyperion still raid leven even if it is only as good other races skirmish choices.? :?
Because the Hyperion never was "only as good as other races' Skirmish choices". Admittedly it wasn't ever the best choice but now it gets a slight leg up (beams work better vs tougher ships and it hasn't lost anything compared to some Hull 6 ships) and more importantly, we've tried to get the other overpowered ships toned back down to parity.
"Sir, the enemy have us completely surrounded."
"Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

ACtA Playtester

Triggy's Fantasy Formula 1
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:12 pm

Well said Triggy and Hiff. I was going to post a very sarcastic response, but refrained. :)
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:30 pm

Greg Smith wrote:Well said Triggy and Hiff. I was going to post a very sarcastic response, but refrained. :)
And I'm the trouble causer!! I need to lie down, have a whisky, and come back and bitch about something ;-)
I AM RONIN!
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:41 pm

hiffano wrote: And I'm the trouble causer!! I need to lie down, have a whisky, and come back and bitch about something ;-)
Hey, Hiff. . . Guess what is supposed to be arriving in our office tomorrow :)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:50 pm

hiffano wrote: And I'm the trouble causer!! I need to lie down, have a whisky, and come back and bitch about something ;-)
You've been pretty refrained of late. Been taking happy pills? :lol:
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:58 pm

nah, you playtesters have just been making more sense ;-)
I AM RONIN!
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:33 pm

Interesting thing, apart from the fact that only 19 fleets were listed only 16 fleet boxes were listed.

So what is the 20th fleet? Ancients?

Will there be new fleet boxes for the Psi Corps, Gaim and Raiders? And also for the mystery 20th fleet if it's not Ancients?

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
Junior
Mongoose

Postby Junior » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:10 pm

I'm a little disheartened that the EA Crusade box set will not contain a Warlock, cause they are the nicest looking ship in the EA set in my opinion.
Triggy
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Triggy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:37 pm

Junior wrote:I'm a little disheartened that the EA Crusade box set will not contain a Warlock, cause they are the nicest looking ship in the EA set in my opinion.
Maybe so but unfortunately that would make the boxed set "top heavy" in gameplay terms. Each boxed set is designed to be "good to go" straight out of the box as a competative 5 FAP Battle PL fleet.
"Sir, the enemy have us completely surrounded."
"Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

ACtA Playtester

Triggy's Fantasy Formula 1
Romu
Banded Mongoose

Postby Romu » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:58 pm

Hm that drazi claweagle looks like a lot of fun, might have to get some :D
Romu
Calistan
Banded Mongoose

Postby Calistan » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:35 pm

I wonder if mass drivers are going to be one shot weapons because that is what they looked like in the show.

Has anyone made a mass driver mod for ships yet?

Do energy mines still have an unrealistic area of affect?
prelude_to_war
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby prelude_to_war » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:47 pm

Interesting article...new fleet boxes look interesting as well - maybe a tad expensive compared to the other fleet boxes?
Calistan wrote:Has anyone made a mass driver mod for ships yet?
No but I can picture it...some external scaffolding and struts, and a big lava rock loaded up and pointed at the Narn homeworld. Man, if I played Centauri/Dilgar, I'd totally do that conversion.
Celisasu
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Celisasu » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:11 pm

Calistan wrote:I wonder if mass drivers are going to be one shot weapons because that is what they looked like in the show.

Has anyone made a mass driver mod for ships yet?

Do energy mines still have an unrealistic area of affect?
Mass drivers looked slow loading, not one shot to me. Not to mention the problem with bombarding the Narn Homeworld if you fire one shot and then fly away to get a reload.
Tankdriver
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Tankdriver » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:22 pm

Tolwyn wrote:I think LG posted it because somebody wrote in another threat that only the smaller weapons will become weaker.

Hopefully the 2nd Ed will ship off to Germany soon, the guys at my gaming club can't wait to get their hands on it :)
I will have to order it through Mongoose or another online retailer, it takes longer, but I am waiting till mid-september anyways, most likely.
Last edited by Tankdriver on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mongoose Accomplishments(?)
Author, "Mine!" Scenario, "I Surrender!" Scenario, "Vive La France" Scenario, "Caught at Anchor" Scenario and "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" Scenario, Signs & Portents Wargamer 45, 51, 52
Tankdriver
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Tankdriver » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:26 pm

Burger wrote:Not only the EA have range 3+ fighters... Sky Serpent, Porfatis, and a host of new ones in 2e.
Which makes a scenario idea I have actually playable.
Mongoose Accomplishments(?)
Author, "Mine!" Scenario, "I Surrender!" Scenario, "Vive La France" Scenario, "Caught at Anchor" Scenario and "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" Scenario, Signs & Portents Wargamer 45, 51, 52
Jhary
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jhary » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:18 am

lastbesthope wrote:Interesting thing, apart from the fact that only 19 fleets were listed only 16 fleet boxes were listed.

So what is the 20th fleet? Ancients?

Will there be new fleet boxes for the Psi Corps, Gaim and Raiders? And also for the mystery 20th fleet if it's not Ancients?

LBH
Have you count the Civilian-List?
MustEatBrains
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby MustEatBrains » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:49 am

Tankdriver wrote:
Tolwyn wrote:I think LG posted it because somebody wrote in another threat that only the smaller weapons will become weaker.

Hopefully the 2nd Ed will ship off to Germany soon, the guys at my gaming club can't wait to get their hands on it :)
I will have to order it through Mongoose or another online retailer, it takes longer, but I am waiting till mid-september anyways, most likely.
I have preordered my personal copies for my own online shop, as a test run of how long it will take to get it (vital information if I want to sell the game to others :wink: ).

Getting ordered ships usually takes anywhere between 1 and several weeks, depending on how fast the reseller get´s his restock. I would guess that getting the rulebooks should run smoother, since Mongoose produces them inhouse, but as far as I know they haven´t started shipping them out yet.
pak´ma´ra chosen of god - very special!

Mr. T about the pak´ma´ra: "I pity the food!"

"Of course I like reporters - properly cooked!" - typical pak´ma´ra humour

"You know what Narns taste like?" "Yeah, chicken..."
Burger
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Burger » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:57 am

Calistan wrote:Do energy mines still have an unrealistic area of affect?
Yes ;)
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
Cos there's bugger all down here on Earth.

katadder
Chief Mongoose

Postby katadder » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:59 am

whats unrealistic about it? its huge area of effect in the show so 3" is fine.
1st & Only Centauri Grand Admiral

LONAW Fleets: http://www.mediafire.com/?tddmi2mjcl2