Something that is most likely going to grind my gears...

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Mr Evil
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 6993
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:28 am
Location: To Close to Wales for comfort
Contact:

Postby Mr Evil » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:08 pm

The Old Soldier wrote:All I ever carry is a handful of dice, a tape measure a small notepad of paper and a pen. A box full of minis in one arm and my cane in the other. I'm very low tech.
whats the cane for ?
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/cygnarsghost.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>
Image

http://splargoth.blogspot.com/
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 7098
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 3:02 am
Location: TFCT Michael Fleming Folland
Contact:

Postby Hiromoon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:15 pm

Beating the red-headed brits of course. ;)
ImageImage
Thanks Veon and ScipioAmericanus!
www.zupandevelopment.com
Shadow4ce
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 402
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:15 pm

Postby Shadow4ce » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:16 pm

Saw this one late so some of this is in response to comments on page one of this thread.

Hand Grenades are added in the Advanced Rulebook on page 25 in the "Structures" section.

The Brits have LMGs with the SAS.

The Marines will get their other troop carrier soon and the Shadow should then be limited to Force Recon.

I definitely don't think we should limit ammo on any unit with the limited duration of most games. Yes, I even DISAGREE with limiting the Shadow's CKEMs. Well, at least until Marines get man-portable AT units. :wink:

Campaign rules with logistics units might be fun for some, but I like my BF: Evo rules just the way they are, except for the LOS rules (weakest part of this game by far) and Tanks can only fire once per turn thingie, that is. :wink:

As far as the Shadow carrying 6 people, remember the size appearance of the models to the men is wonky. The Shadow is bigger than the MEA Toyota Truck, so I sorta figured it as an up-armored, up-wheeled Suburban SUV. Have you ever seen how many kids pile out of a soccer mom's Suburban on a Saturday afternoon? And if you want my explanation for how they carry six guys and a good supply of CKEMS...

Running boards, ala Secret Service protection details. The Marines have a driver, a guy in the front passenger seat, 2 guys hanging on to each side on running boards, and a ton of CKEMS in the back where the seats are folded into the floor. 8)
- Shadow4ce
I have seen death, and she is afraid! Image
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 5714
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:02 am
Location: British in Dublin

Postby emperorpenguin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:49 pm

cordas wrote:and we blame the MEA as well because without their oil, we have to rely on sailing ships to bring the tea across....l:
the last of which just burned, must have been the Yanks! It's all coming together now! Instead of WW3, it's WORLD WAR TEA! :lol:
Into the Fire: 4th place
Wheel of Fire: 9th place
Gaelcon 2006: 2nd place
Valen is my name
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 684
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:13 pm

Postby Valen is my name » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:52 pm

NBS...

knock knock...
Harry Callahan: We're not just going to let you walk out of here.
Crook: Who's "we", sucker?
Harry Callahan: Smith, and Wesson, and me.

Harry Callahan: Go ahead, make my day by making Hiffano's Mothership, punk.
Valen is my name
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 684
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:13 pm

Postby Valen is my name » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:23 pm

you better open up soon EP or thay door is going to be forced open.
Harry Callahan: We're not just going to let you walk out of here.
Crook: Who's "we", sucker?
Harry Callahan: Smith, and Wesson, and me.

Harry Callahan: Go ahead, make my day by making Hiffano's Mothership, punk.
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 5714
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:02 am
Location: British in Dublin

Postby emperorpenguin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:36 pm

Valen is my name wrote:you better open up soon EP or thay door is going to be forced open.
I pity you standing outside in the rainstorm over Dublin right now! :lol:

besides use the flippin' intercom that's why it's there!
Into the Fire: 4th place
Wheel of Fire: 9th place
Gaelcon 2006: 2nd place
Valen is my name
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 684
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:13 pm

Postby Valen is my name » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:36 pm

i'm not outside, and the narns dont mind rain. :)
Harry Callahan: We're not just going to let you walk out of here.
Crook: Who's "we", sucker?
Harry Callahan: Smith, and Wesson, and me.

Harry Callahan: Go ahead, make my day by making Hiffano's Mothership, punk.
The Old Soldier
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2110
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 3:02 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio. Where pigs fly but turkeys don't

Postby The Old Soldier » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:51 pm

Mr Evil wrote:
The Old Soldier wrote:All I ever carry is a handful of dice, a tape measure a small notepad of paper and a pen. A box full of minis in one arm and my cane in the other. I'm very low tech.
whats the cane for ?
So I can walk? :roll: and beat redheaded guys who ask stupid questions. :lol: :wink:
"On the Bounce"
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 5714
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:02 am
Location: British in Dublin

Postby emperorpenguin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:07 pm

The Old Soldier wrote: and beat redheaded guys who ask stupid questions. :lol: :wink:
you say that like beating redheaded guys needs a reason! :lol:
Into the Fire: 4th place
Wheel of Fire: 9th place
Gaelcon 2006: 2nd place
vitalis6969
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 2:27 am
Location: Michigan, East Side

Postby vitalis6969 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:14 pm

cordas wrote:Now as well as having to remember to take models, rules, tape measures 2 different flavours of dice, a pen and notepad to the gaming club you want us to take along a PC or Laptop as well TOS.......... :roll:

If you had clicky counters in the box then you could either use them or not as your particular fetish for dragging around PCs takes you :lol:
Isn't it bad enough already that this is a prepaint game? Now you want to turn it into 'clicks'??? Come on now... I suppose if the entire player base was 12 yrs old....

-V
B5 ACTA, Tanked... Battlefield Evolution, Tanked... Mongoose Traveller, this is your last chance...
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2422
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:43 pm
Location: Gloucester, UK

Postby DM » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:33 pm

Replace the dice with spring loaded things shooting matchsticks or rolling marbles and we are there :)
DM's naval website, now moved to the NWS site
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/nav ... links.html
Co-author "Order of Battle"
Author, "Age of Dreadnoughts"
Bloke who paints VAS ships for Matt
Bacon Number of 4 :D
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1769
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:54 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK

Postby cordas » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:10 am

vitalis6969 wrote:
cordas wrote:Now as well as having to remember to take models, rules, tape measures 2 different flavours of dice, a pen and notepad to the gaming club you want us to take along a PC or Laptop as well TOS.......... :roll:

If you had clicky counters in the box then you could either use them or not as your particular fetish for dragging around PCs takes you :lol:
Isn't it bad enough already that this is a prepaint game? Now you want to turn it into 'clicks'??? Come on now... I suppose if the entire player base was 12 yrs old....

-V
Having never played any of the clicks games I have no idea whether they are any good or not.... All I am saying is that they are a valid solution to a potential problem..... We have been putting dice down beisde vehicles to make off failed armour saves and then have problems because people pick them up... Then tried putting them on vehicles and have the problems of them falling off.... We have put dice on the unit cards to try doing that and had problems with them being knocked off the cards. To be honest none of these have been a major problem as we are not part of the MTV generation and have an attention span of more than a handfull of seconds and can generally remember or work out how many armour saves have failed when dice get disturbed. Clicks would be answer to this problem......

I suppose you are amongst the group that refuse to use umbrella's because they are "for women"... and against water proof coats because they are for "train spotters" so end up soaking wet.... :lol:
We play CTA/SFoS (using counters and FA models), Starship Troopers (evo), 40k, Flames of War, BF EVO

RP, B5, Star Wars, and others. If you are local to Newcastle upon Tyne and fancy joining in drop me a message.
Templar
Weasel
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:14 pm

Postby Templar » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:21 pm

Clicks on the bases area bad idea. But a disk, similar to the freaking life counters in a lot of CCG, specific to each unit would limit clutter. I am totally opposed to having it on the unit itself, but included in the box so it can be placed either off to the side or next to the unit (with the supression counters, hits against counters, reacted counters, etc) would be pretty keen.

Sure, i can use a pen and paper, and when I am playing a 3K battle with 6-7 units with limited ammo, knowing which unit is which becomes a bit more unclear.

Plus, I will be honest. I am lazy. I am thinking about modifying a pop-o-matic dice from "trouble", because rolling gets pretty tough too.

:wink:

But really, the long and the short of it is just trying to keep the playing surface as clear and precise as I can. I am looking at the long term. Right now, we are just getting into the 2K game range... and there has been 3 waves released so far. I am guessing that in the not-too-distant future we are going to have that ramped up, and I am not going to lie - I already see too much on the table when my friend plays his MEA army. If i can cut down on the excess stuff, or consolidate it into some sort of marker per unit, it would please me greatly.

But this is the last I will say about it, because beating a dead horse is never fun...

...


unless we start discussing scale of the models again!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
vitalis6969
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 2:27 am
Location: Michigan, East Side

Postby vitalis6969 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:33 pm

cordas wrote:I suppose you are amongst the group that refuse to use umbrella's because they are "for women"... and against water proof coats because they are for "train spotters" so end up soaking wet.... :lol:
Of course!!! :D Real men wear overcoats if needed, we certainly don't use umbrellas or rain-coats... :roll: :lol:

I do like the click counter to keep on the unit card or something. Then again, just using a printed "fleet" list to keep track of your units would work too.

Just Not On The Units... Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :P

-V
B5 ACTA, Tanked... Battlefield Evolution, Tanked... Mongoose Traveller, this is your last chance...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests