Something that is most likely going to grind my gears...

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:39 am

Actually, the Future Lynx is far more multi-role than the shadow is, so it can be given a role as a tank hunter, where as the shadow is a recon vehicle, and shouldn't be used the way it currently is. It's like using a Chenowth light strike vehicle for troop transport. At least you can get away with sticking TOWs on the Lynx and have at it that way.

EP, that'd have to be ALOT of combat losses.
ImageImage
Thanks Veon and ScipioAmericanus!
www.zupandevelopment.com
Sgt. Brassones
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Buena Park, California, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Known Universe

Postby Sgt. Brassones » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:45 am

I have to agree, the Shadow is for recon and sneaky tank hunting. Why else would it have a mast-mounted sight? The Marines need a dedicated transport, either the ECV or a freakin' Bradley. Me, I'm using Dragon Armour Bradleys and fan made unit cards.
Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts.

Cicero
shotgun-toting chipmunk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby shotgun-toting chipmunk » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:12 am

Well, the Humvee isn't always being used the way it was intended either, and Shadow is a replacement for the Humvee. I'll say this about the Marines: they know how to improvise.
www.zupandevelopment.com
-------------------------------------------------------
"Lord I pray for the eyes of an eagle, the heart of a lion, and the balls of a combat helicopter pilot." -Fighter Pilot's Prayer
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:34 am

For MGP it migt be, but I'd love to ask the guy who said it was supposed to be a replacement for the HMMWV what he was thinking at the time.

I mean, if you're going to make it carry Six people, and have the rockets in place, redesign the modle a little. Unless the soldiers are wearing the rockets for helmets....
ImageImage
www.zupandevelopment.com
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:38 am

Hiromoon wrote:For MGP it migt be, but I'd love to ask the guy who said it was supposed to be a replacement for the HMMWV what he was thinking at the time.

I mean, if you're going to make it carry Six people, and have the rockets in place, redesign the modle a little. Unless the soldiers are wearing the rockets for helmets....
I thought the Shadow was meant to be the Humvee replacement as well....

I also think think the Shadows should have a limited payload of missiles..... Say 4 per unit... It would then be less of a stretch of disbelief.
We play CTA/SFoS (using counters and FA models), Starship Troopers (evo), 40k, Flames of War, BF EVO

RP, B5, Star Wars, and others. If you are local to Newcastle upon Tyne and fancy joining in drop me a message.
The Old Soldier
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby The Old Soldier » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:49 am

Hiromoon wrote:For MGP it migt be, but I'd love to ask the guy who said it was supposed to be a replacement for the HMMWV what he was thinking at the time.

I don't know squat about the Shadow, except it is suppose to be a recon vehicle. As a recon vehicle, as far as I know it would only at most have a MG option. Is that correct Hiro? Just looking at the model it could hold six, but not fitted the way MP did the model.

Lets see....you have a driver, guy in the shotgun seat. and 2 in the back, that be four, the MG would be used remote. Now a recon squad is six. So how was this suppose to be used? Driver and 3 guys per Shadow? I'd like to know. That said, the AT weapons on MPs Shadow would be mounted on what?

I want to know, because I plan to remove the weapons from the Shadow if that is correct.
"On the Bounce"
shmitty
Stoat

Postby shmitty » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:05 am

The Shadow is only intended as a Humvee replacement in the RECON units, not for the entire USMC. It is not intended to replace the Humvee in its general transport/multipuprose role. In this case it looks like the Cougar will replace the Humvee for convoy/general purpose work.

The Humvee is a multipurpose do any job kinda platform. The Shadow is a purpose built recon platform. I think the CKEM makes sense on it actually, and can definitely see them being limited to 4 missiles.
This Space for Rent
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:54 am

Hiromoon wrote:Actually, the Future Lynx is far more multi-role than the shadow is, so it can be given a role as a tank hunter, where as the shadow is a recon vehicle, and shouldn't be used the way it currently is. It's like using a Chenowth light strike vehicle for troop transport. At least you can get away with sticking TOWs on the Lynx and have at it that way.

EP, that'd have to be ALOT of combat losses.
How do you know that the Shadow won't be multi-role? The USMC might decide to press it into more uses

I was being sarcastic about losses, it was the same argument given over Future Lynx. I find all this very amusing that some of you who argued with me on that are now arguing the same thing with the Shadow.

Ah the irony.......... :roll:
Into the Fire: 4th place
Wheel of Fire: 9th place
Gaelcon 2006: 2nd place
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:05 pm

Easy EP. It's in it's name. Shadow RST-V. Reconnaissance, Surveillance and Targeting Vehicle.
Last edited by Hiromoon on Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
www.zupandevelopment.com
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:11 pm

The Old Soldier wrote: I don't know squat about the Shadow, except it is suppose to be a recon vehicle. As a recon vehicle, as far as I know it would only at most have a MG option. Is that correct Hiro? Just looking at the model it could hold six, but not fitted the way MP did the model.

Lets see....you have a driver, guy in the shotgun seat. and 2 in the back, that be four, the MG would be used remote. Now a recon squad is six. So how was this suppose to be used? Driver and 3 guys per Shadow? I'd like to know. That said, the AT weapons on MPs Shadow would be mounted on what?

I want to know, because I plan to remove the weapons from the Shadow if that is correct.
Unless there's space in the hatchback for two more people... The hardest part of all of this is that the current Shadow is a series of prototypes! All in the configuration (sans CKEMs) that you see MGP giving us. We'll have to wait for General Dynamics to give us more...

And most of the information I keep dredging up is from at least a year ago, and I haven't seen anything in AUSA (since Army SpecOps is looking at this vehicle too) about the Shadow.
ImageImage
www.zupandevelopment.com
Templar
Weasel

Postby Templar » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:32 pm

This isn't about how many shots the shadow should have, it is a general question whether or not we should have restricted ammo in a game that thus far only lasts a few turns. If so, shouldn't we have a way to track it that comes with the unit (Ideally, I see essentially a click-disk, as they are cheap, mass producable, and one can easily come with each unit with restricted ammo).

Oh, and although the shadow might be meant for recon, the USMC of 2015 has decided it will play a more frontline role, specifically to kill the warrior of the EFTF, because they are still angry that the USA suceeded from them 240 years former and now it is time to pay! That, or Brittain has run out of tea and the USA placed a trade embargo on it in an effort to drive them mad!

(every time i fight the EFTF as the USMC, I keep thinking - why the hell are we at war? Then i get hit by the warrior's cannons and don't seem to care about the reason, but instead over what must be done!)

:lol: :wink:
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:33 pm

Hiromoon wrote:Easy EP. It's in it's name. Shadow RST-V. Reconnaissance, Surveillance and Targeting Vehicle.
Yes but it could get pressed into other roles just as easily as the Future Lynx BRH Battlefield Reconaissance Helicopter
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:35 pm

Templar wrote:That, or Brittain has run out of tea and the USA placed a trade embargo on it in an effort to drive them mad!
that's why we're at war with the PLA! :P
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:28 pm

emperorpenguin wrote:
Templar wrote:That, or Brittain has run out of tea and the USA placed a trade embargo on it in an effort to drive them mad!
that's why we're at war with the PLA! :P
and we blame the MEA as well because without their oil, we have to rely on sailing ships to bring the tea across....

back to whatever... i like the idea of clicky bases for showing the amounts of shots that limited use weapons have left. They could also do clicky bases for tanks and vehicles (anything with the tough rule) so you could mark off failed armour saves.... Might even help some shadows :lol:
We play CTA/SFoS (using counters and FA models), Starship Troopers (evo), 40k, Flames of War, BF EVO

RP, B5, Star Wars, and others. If you are local to Newcastle upon Tyne and fancy joining in drop me a message.
hegemon
Banded Mongoose

Postby hegemon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:01 pm

how about noting it down in a thing called notepad with a implement called a pen.
Why do planes fly??

Because we want them to!!

Business Systems lecturer: What is red tape?
Me: Beurocratic bullcrapp that we don't need
Best definition in years!! apparently
The Old Soldier
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby The Old Soldier » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:06 pm

hegemon wrote:how about noting it down in a thing called notepad with a implement called a pen.
WORD!!

Last thing I want to see is anything remotely looking like a clicky base.
"On the Bounce"
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:07 pm

Then i get hit by the warrior's cannons and don't seem to care about the reason, but instead over what must be done!
Such as losing with dignity :)
DM's naval website, now moved to the NWS site
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/nav ... links.html
Co-author "Order of Battle"
Author, "Age of Dreadnoughts"
Bloke who paints VAS ships for Matt
Bacon Number of 4 :D
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:28 pm

Evo-Klicks!
ImageImage
www.zupandevelopment.com
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:49 pm

The Old Soldier wrote:
hegemon wrote:how about noting it down in a thing called notepad with a implement called a pen.
WORD!!
Now as well as having to remember to take models, rules, tape measures 2 different flavours of dice, a pen and notepad to the gaming club you want us to take along a PC or Laptop as well TOS.......... :roll:

If you had clicky counters in the box then you could either use them or not as your particular fetish for dragging around PCs takes you :lol:

The Old Soldier
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby The Old Soldier » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:04 pm

All I ever carry is a handful of dice, a tape measure a small notepad of paper and a pen. A box full of minis in one arm and my cane in the other. I'm very low tech.
"On the Bounce"