What happens after Wave 5?

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Xorrandor
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Xorrandor » Tue May 29, 2007 7:53 pm

Pietia wrote:If guys making those decisions had to test all that equipment on their own skins in combat conditions, we would soon find out that "the best" is not really even "good enough"...
Yes, and that would happen right before you lost two generations of weapons development, because none of your contractors are submitting bids any more for some reason... :roll:
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Tue May 29, 2007 9:12 pm

Xorrandor wrote: Yes, and that would happen right before you lost two generations of weapons development, because none of your contractors are submitting bids any more for some reason... :roll:
Its not the developers who have to test the stuff, its the buearocrats who have to sign off on it.... The developers don't get paid if it don't do what it says it should.
We play CTA/SFoS (using counters and FA models), Starship Troopers (evo), 40k, Flames of War, BF EVO

RP, B5, Star Wars, and others. If you are local to Newcastle upon Tyne and fancy joining in drop me a message.
Xorrandor
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Xorrandor » Tue May 29, 2007 10:21 pm

cordas wrote:Its not the developers who have to test the stuff, its the buearocrats who have to sign off on it.... The developers don't get paid if it don't do what it says it should.
OK, fine, so no bureaucrats sign off on anything--still means no new weapons get deployed. And I'm curious what country you're living in, where defense contractors have pay in any way related to performance... :?

Not saying it's right, just saying it is.
Drahazar
Mongoose

Postby Drahazar » Tue May 29, 2007 11:59 pm

I trust no military leaders when it comes to makeing decsions on uniforms look at the crap there trying to give the air force the new blues look like junk and the acu where supposed to get at first looked like a hawaiian shirt and now looks like puke color and the blues again where shot up for looking like some WW1 thing.
Death is the Only way out.
docrailgun
Stoat

Postby docrailgun » Wed May 30, 2007 4:45 am

I'd love to hear the designers' thoughts here... but it's possible that in the near-future of BEvo the US Army is still trying to find a way to be functional after being broken by the lack of training/rearming cycles and constant deployment in Iraq. There may not be any money to replace the Army's broken-down equipment, so the Marines may be the only force that the US has left to project force on the ground.
vitalis6969 wrote:I imagine it is going to be wave 500 or 600 before I actually get into this game.... sheesh.... The U.S. has one of the most lavish , if not THE most lavish, armed forces in the entire world. We just chuck money at a problem until we have whatever solution we were looking for....

And what do we have in BFE? The Marines with their second rate equipment! :roll: Someone at Mongoose must really like the Leathernecks :wink:

Hello. . .McFly!!! U.S. ARMY!!!!!

Bradley Fighting Vehicles
Strykers with ALL their variants
Apaches
Special Forces
Delta Force

And please oh please mighty Gods of Mongoose... NO DESERT PAINT SCHEMES... :P Woodland Please... WOODLAND!!!!!

:rant is done, please continue with your scheduled programming:

-V

edit: Hell, I prolly would buy the marines if they were a different color... :sigh:
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Wed May 30, 2007 6:49 am

Xorrandor wrote: OK, fine, so no bureaucrats sign off on anything--still means no new weapons get deployed. And I'm curious what country you're living in, where defense contractors have pay in any way related to performance... :?

Not saying it's right, just saying it is.
Huh read my other posts on this page (or my signature and profile) I live in the UK, and our defence contractors don't have to pay related to performance, hence some of the problems my friends and family have suffered. I have also heard similar complaints from family who serve in the US Army, although to be fair to them they complain a lot less than my British f&f. All I was saying that maybe if they did have to test the stuff before paying for it more of it might work the way its supposed to, and our boys and girls in uniform might not be so unhappy and at risk.
We play CTA/SFoS (using counters and FA models), Starship Troopers (evo), 40k, Flames of War, BF EVO

RP, B5, Star Wars, and others. If you are local to Newcastle upon Tyne and fancy joining in drop me a message.
vitalis6969
Banded Mongoose

Postby vitalis6969 » Wed May 30, 2007 8:12 am

Armchair_Marine wrote:
I want the US Army in this game too, but what's your obession with woodland camo? Woodland camo is dead, it's digital ACU all the way.
The vehicles are what I meant... The one end all / be all gray digital is a given, sorry, I wasn't more specific... :D My bad.

-V
Last edited by vitalis6969 on Wed May 30, 2007 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
B5 ACTA, Tanked... Battlefield Evolution, Tanked... Mongoose Traveller, this is your last chance...
vitalis6969
Banded Mongoose

Postby vitalis6969 » Wed May 30, 2007 8:18 am

docrailgun wrote:I'd love to hear the designers' thoughts here... but it's possible that in the near-future of BEvo the US Army is still trying to find a way to be functional after being broken by the lack of training/rearming cycles and constant deployment in Iraq. There may not be any money to replace the Army's broken-down equipment, so the Marines may be the only force that the US has left to project force on the ground.
Wow, now that IS a future FANTASY setting...

-V
B5 ACTA, Tanked... Battlefield Evolution, Tanked... Mongoose Traveller, this is your last chance...
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Wed May 30, 2007 11:05 am

Well, if you get your hand on the main book and page through it, you'll see that there's alot of "Why on earth would THAT happen" stuff. Like the Marines being more capable than the Army. Honestly, the Marines can't get to their locations without the Navy, while the Army has an even larger fleet of ships than the Navy does!
ImageImage
Thanks Veon and ScipioAmericanus!
www.zupandevelopment.com
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Wed May 30, 2007 5:30 pm

given the multi-national mix of the EFTF I'm surprised that the Americans weren't released as US forces with a mix of Army, Air Force and Marines
Into the Fire: 4th place
Wheel of Fire: 9th place
Gaelcon 2006: 2nd place
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Wed May 30, 2007 6:49 pm

emperorpenguin wrote:given the multi-national mix of the EFTF I'm surprised that the Americans weren't released as US forces with a mix of Army, Air Force and Marines
That would just have been messy.... and the EFTF have yet to see an forces from any other countries than the UK, and the first thing we get is a different tank... Don't the UMSC and Army both use the same tank?

emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Wed May 30, 2007 6:52 pm

I honestly can't see it being any more messy than mixed platoons of British/French/Germans all of which will be out within the next few months (wave 6 & 7 I think)
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Wed May 30, 2007 6:54 pm

There's a USMC combat brigade who's components are all US Army (or at least it's three combat bits are)...
ImageImage
www.zupandevelopment.com
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Wed May 30, 2007 6:55 pm

emperorpenguin wrote:I honestly can't see it being any more messy than mixed platoons of British/French/Germans all of which will be out within the next few months (wave 6 & 7 I think)
True, but I plan to have a bit of a mixed up Euro force :) prob a unit of german and french infantry, to go with my 2 brits, will give me the 4 for an infantry force, then add in a leopard for a 3rd tank on top of my 2 challies. Oh and I will be wanting transports for my german and french inf when that comes out, and a mix of support squads... and probably somewhere to sell a kidney to pay for it all.

Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Wed May 30, 2007 7:02 pm

Remember, put white flags with your french guys, and the Germans surrounding the French unit.... :wink:
ImageImage
www.zupandevelopment.com
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Wed May 30, 2007 7:06 pm

cordas wrote:
emperorpenguin wrote:I honestly can't see it being any more messy than mixed platoons of British/French/Germans all of which will be out within the next few months (wave 6 & 7 I think)
True, but I plan to have a bit of a mixed up Euro force :) prob a unit of german and french infantry, to go with my 2 brits, will give me the 4 for an infantry force, then add in a leopard for a 3rd tank on top of my 2 challies. Oh and I will be wanting transports for my german and french inf when that comes out, and a mix of support squads... and probably somewhere to sell a kidney to pay for it all.
Broadly similar to myself. I'm planning 2 British sections, 1 Foreign Legion, 1 Heer, 1 Challenger, 1 Leopard. I think we'll be waiting a long time for French/German IFVs though :( and I won't put them in Warriors
The Old Soldier
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby The Old Soldier » Wed May 30, 2007 7:39 pm

Hiromoon wrote:Remember, put white flags with your french guys, and the Germans surrounding the French unit.... :wink:
Well, after WW2 many French Legion soldiers WERE German! :lol:
"On the Bounce"
Armchair_Marine
Banded Mongoose

Postby Armchair_Marine » Wed May 30, 2007 8:06 pm

vitalis6969 wrote:
Armchair_Marine wrote:
I want the US Army in this game too, but what's your obession with woodland camo? Woodland camo is dead, it's digital ACU all the way.
The vehicles are what I meant... The one end all / be all gray digital is a given, sorry, I wasn't more specific... :D My bad.

-V
Oh, then I'm all for that. I don't think you should worry too much cause all the pics I've seen of the Stryker and the Apache usually have them painted in green.
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Wed May 30, 2007 8:34 pm

The Old Soldier wrote:
Hiromoon wrote:Remember, put white flags with your french guys, and the Germans surrounding the French unit.... :wink:
Well, after WW2 many French Legion soldiers WERE German! :lol:
so much so that some Legion marching songs are now sung in German!

there were quite a few anti-Nazi Germans and Austrians in the Legion during the war too, Rommel refused to carry out Hitler's order to execute them as traitors following the battle of Bir Hakeim
Shadow4ce
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Shadow4ce » Wed May 30, 2007 9:13 pm

vitalis6969 wrote:And what do we have in BFE? The Marines with their second rate equipment! :roll: Someone at Mongoose must really like the Leathernecks :wink:
Nah, liking "Leathernecks" has nothing to do with it. It just happens Mongoose is aware of the following fact:
  • 1 Marine with his/her "second rate equipment" is better than 10 Dawgies with the latest toys. :wink: :P
Semper Fi! HooAhh, HooAhh, HooAhh! :P 8)
- Shadow4ce
I have seen death, and she is afraid! Image