The Next Big sub-faction for next year!

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Tue May 29, 2007 8:25 am

cordas wrote:Well there is currently a fight going on in Turkey between the secularists and a fairly religious goverment who want to change the constitution to make it more religious (or something like that), so it could really go either way..
the Turkish army is extremely pro-secular, they'd not be in the MEA but whether they'd be allowed join the EFTF is a different question, several countries (France and Germany especially) don't want them in, Britain is leading the cause to get them in
Into the Fire: 4th place
Wheel of Fire: 9th place
Gaelcon 2006: 2nd place
Valen is my name
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Valen is my name » Tue May 29, 2007 10:41 am

canada so long as they are part of ETFT - they're a commonwealth country, they would fight with the brits, same with the ozzies. Gurkhas have been mentioned somewhere. Basically anything that means i can amass an ETFT army with a good variety of troops without having jonny foreigner poking his nose in!
Harry Callahan: We're not just going to let you walk out of here.
Crook: Who's "we", sucker?
Harry Callahan: Smith, and Wesson, and me.

Harry Callahan: Go ahead, make my day by making Hiffano's Mothership, punk.
Drahazar
Mongoose

Postby Drahazar » Tue May 29, 2007 10:54 am

Turkey would definately not be any part of the MEA they want to be in the EU and ther military will oust any islamist extremenist that got into power to protect the secular laws.
Death is the Only way out.
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Tue May 29, 2007 11:18 am

Drahazar wrote:Turkey would definately not be any part of the MEA they want to be in the EU and ther military will oust any islamist extremenist that got into power to protect the secular laws.
Well that is unless the extremists infiltrate the military, and you can be sure they will bne trying to... Its not like it hasn't happened elsewhere and in other times. We are talking 10 or so years down the line here, at the moment they are far more a Muslim nation than a European one...

P.S. Your icon is rather large...... Not that it bothers me on my nice new shinny 22" wide screen monitor :lol: 8)
We play CTA/SFoS (using counters and FA models), Starship Troopers (evo), 40k, Flames of War, BF EVO

RP, B5, Star Wars, and others. If you are local to Newcastle upon Tyne and fancy joining in drop me a message.
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Tue May 29, 2007 11:29 am

Hmm.... My vote would be fore..

- African Forces (Either Militia, Government, or African Union)
- Indonesian Forces (Either Gurilla or Government)
ImageImage
Thanks Veon and ScipioAmericanus!
www.zupandevelopment.com
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Tue May 29, 2007 12:32 pm

Valen is my name wrote:canada so long as they are part of ETFT - they're a commonwealth country, they would fight with the brits, same with the ozzies. Gurkhas have been mentioned somewhere. Basically anything that means i can amass an ETFT army with a good variety of troops without having jonny foreigner poking his nose in!
EFTF = EUROPEAN how would Canada and Australia be in it!? :shock:

The Commonwealth isn't a military alliance, some of its members fight each other, Pakistan and India for example.....

and hate to break it to you but they're "foreigners" too :wink:
Valen is my name
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Valen is my name » Tue May 29, 2007 1:16 pm

not in my book. Canada, Australia and New Zealand almost always join in our wars. I realise they cant be in the ETFT but i want a rule that says i can have a british army with other commenwealth countries as my allies. i don't want french troops with my army, but i do want candians etc.

emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Tue May 29, 2007 1:21 pm

Valen is my name wrote:not in my book. Canada, Australia and New Zealand almost always join in our wars..
but so does the US and France. Not in your book, but definitely in the book called the dictionary :wink:
for·eign·er [ fáwrənər ] (plural for·eign·ers)

noun

Definition:

1. somebody from another country: somebody who comes from a country other than your own

2. outsider: somebody who does not feel, or is not deemed to be, part of a group
Valen is my name
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Valen is my name » Tue May 29, 2007 1:28 pm

i should have explained myself better i admit that. just like to point out that the french very rarely join in our wars. Suez crisis is the only time i can think of. And the Americans also very rarely join our wars, we normally join theirs. Two orld wars are the only time they joined us in wars. other than that at best they supply us with weapons but not much more.

your defintion, point 2, someone who does not belong to a group - the commonwealth is a group is it not? Thats my point, i didnt explain it well, but basically i want to be able to have the british army with a few other units from the main commonwealth countries (canada, New Zealand and Australia mainly.)

emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Tue May 29, 2007 1:35 pm

Valen is my name wrote:i should have explained myself better i admit that. just like to point out that the french very rarely join in our wars. Suez crisis is the only time i can think of. .)
Try First Gulf War, World War 1, World War 2, Crimean War etc
And the Americans also very rarely join our wars, we normally join theirs. Two orld wars are the only time they joined us in wars.
:lol: good point, we are THEIR poodle and not the other way around!
Thats my point, i didnt explain it well, but basically i want to be able to have the british army with a few other units from the main commonwealth countries (canada, New Zealand and Australia mainly
I see what you mean but the days of Empire are gone. Australia and New Zealand for instance are allied to the USA nowadays, they have no military obligation to Britain. I wonder if they would come to the mother country's aid in time of need :?
Chiwie
Banded Mongoose

Postby Chiwie » Tue May 29, 2007 1:40 pm

emperorpenguin wrote:
Valen is my name wrote:not in my book. Canada, Australia and New Zealand almost always join in our wars..
but so does the US and France. Not in your book, but definitely in the book called the dictionary :wink:
as a aussie i dont see us jumping with EFTF while every kid in high school is taught that:

A: Britain left us out to dry in WW2, and *$@% us over in Gallipoli (no hard feelings :))
B: ANZUS and a number of other treaties are a VERY nice safety blanket. and as despite some questionable US policy in the last few years, i would like to keep my county's safety blanket.... ;)
Valen is my name
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Valen is my name » Tue May 29, 2007 1:42 pm

crimean war, okay hadn't thought that far back. WW1 and WW2 they got involved not because we were fighting but because they got invaded. 1st gulf war, they joined in because of UN and USA not us. i meant they rarely join in with a war because they want to help us out. :D

As for Canada and Oz etc. i see your point. i'd like to think they would but i do wonder, although they still have the queen as their monarch so i'd like o think they might step in. they are usually the first to at least show their support even ifthey don't commit men etc. And in Canadas case NATO might help us a bit but i'm doubtful, hopefully it will never get put to the test.

going back to the French in the Falklands war they were selling exocet missiles to te argentinians (sp?) while we were fighting them!

Valen is my name
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Valen is my name » Tue May 29, 2007 1:46 pm

Chiwie wrote:
as a aussie i dont see us jumping with EFTF while every kid in high school is taught that:

A: Britain left us out to dry in WW2, and *$@% us over in Gallipoli (no hard feelings :))
bulls**t did we leave you out to dry. Gallipoli - so the military planning was rubbish, but we did not **** all over you.

As for WW2, we sent you weapons, the RN worked closely with the RAN, we helped you as much as you helped us. We also were fighting alongside your troops in the burma etc.

emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Tue May 29, 2007 1:56 pm

Valen is my name wrote:WW1 and WW2 they got involved not because we were fighting but because they got invaded.

going back to the French in the Falklands war they were selling exocet missiles to te argentinians (sp?) while we were fighting them!
false. WW1 they declared war in support of their ally Russia
In WW2 they declared war in support of their ally Poland
The fact they were subsequently invaded has nothing to do with it

In the Falklands France STOPPED selling exocets to Argentina and gave Britain self destruct codes for them! Thatcher even said that without Mitterand's help we'd have lost far more men
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Tue May 29, 2007 1:59 pm

Chiwie wrote:A: Britain left us out to dry in WW2, and *$@% us over in Gallipoli (no hard feelings :));)
Britain could have done more in WW2 to help Australia, but I think the overstretch was too much

Gallipoli was poorly planned, it wasn't a case of happily sending ANZACs off to die! Many British troops died there too, including a famous incident of a battalion wiped out, executed by the Turks
Valen is my name
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Valen is my name » Tue May 29, 2007 3:00 pm

emperorpenguin wrote:
false. WW1 they declared war in support of their ally Russia
In WW2 they declared war in support of their ally Poland
The fact they were subsequently invaded has nothing to do with it
sorry forgot that, but they still didn't join in to help us
emperorpenguin wrote: In the Falklands France STOPPED selling exocets to Argentina and gave Britain self destruct codes for them! Thatcher even said that without Mitterand's help we'd have lost far more men
but they did not stop straight away did they? In short, its only really some of the commonwealth countries that have ever joined a war to help us out. most other countries have had other reasons than to help us because they are/were friends with us. maybe thats how we should be with america, only join in for good reasons.

emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Tue May 29, 2007 3:11 pm

Valen is my name wrote:but they did not stop straight away did they? .
they stopped as soon as the war started. Britain had also been selling military equipment to Argentina before the war :wink:
Valen is my name
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Valen is my name » Tue May 29, 2007 3:16 pm

that was a bit stupid, but then we sold stuff to iran until relativly recently didnt we. they have hermes don't they? hope we don't go to war with iran if only so we don't have to sink her! :)

Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Tue May 29, 2007 3:17 pm

So anyway, for the European Forces:
- British Marines
- Finland
- Poland
- Belgium
- Norway
- Sweden
- Spanish
- Italian
- Slovinia
- Greece
- Luxemburg
- Lichtenstein
- Neatherlands
- Ireland

For the PLA
- Chinese Airborne
- Chinese Marines

For the US
- US Army (Styker Combat Brigade, 10th Mountain, 18th Airborne, etc)
- US Airforce Special Operations

For the MEA
- Revolutionary Forces (you know, Iranian type soldiers?)
ImageImage
Thanks Veon and ScipioAmericanus!
www.zupandevelopment.com
Valen is my name
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Valen is my name » Tue May 29, 2007 3:23 pm

missed off the gurkhas. so at the minute for the british army we have regular soldiers and SAS are definitly coming. Gurkhas have been mentioned. I'd like to also see Paratroopers, Marines and Guards regiments to add to "ordinary" (i use the term losely) soldiers