British light infantry

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
hegemon
Banded Mongoose

Postby hegemon » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:01 pm

sorry i must of miss understood what was written, to me it looked like someone was getting confused. whats wrong with comma's peeps?
Why do planes fly??

Because we want them to!!

Business Systems lecturer: What is red tape?
Me: Beurocratic bullcrapp that we don't need
Best definition in years!! apparently
captainsmirk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby captainsmirk » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:02 pm

This is the 21st Century no knows how to use punctuation anymore...
:lol:

Nick
Captain Sheridan you're under arrest for a clear violation of the laws of physics!
hegemon
Banded Mongoose

Postby hegemon » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:10 pm

aint that the frelling truth.

oh and one last thing, imagine using starstreak, in the AT role!! queue evil laughter HAHAHA.
and yes it is possible!
Why do planes fly??

emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:41 pm

Jellicoe wrote:In gaming terms the LSW is not radically different. Just slightly more range. Same ammo, same firing and with the option of using a ready action for slight more accurate fire like the Minimi. To the best of my knowledge, and I standard to be corrected, the British army is a little unique in have this intermediate role weapon system.

But still a model would be nice :)
Mongoose e mailed me back to say they can't use my LSW article until someone converts some for their models.

Anyone fancy trying? :wink:
Into the Fire: 4th place
Wheel of Fire: 9th place
Gaelcon 2006: 2nd place
Mr Evil
Chief Mongoose

Postby Mr Evil » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:48 pm

emperorpenguin wrote:
Jellicoe wrote:In gaming terms the LSW is not radically different. Just slightly more range. Same ammo, same firing and with the option of using a ready action for slight more accurate fire like the Minimi. To the best of my knowledge, and I standard to be corrected, the British army is a little unique in have this intermediate role weapon system.

But still a model would be nice :)
Mongoose e mailed me back to say they can't use my LSW article until someone converts some for their models.

Anyone fancy trying? :wink:
:D :D mmm conversion time awaits
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/cygnarsghost.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>

http://splargoth.blogspot.com/
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:52 pm

Mr Evil wrote::D :D mmm conversion time awaits
So how do we make

out of

?
Mr Evil
Chief Mongoose

Postby Mr Evil » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:56 pm

froma games table perspective id use a but of sqwuar2 rod on the end of the normal gun and paint it black, make sure to go for a suiable length as well. maybe add a little bipod on the end.
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/cygnarsghost.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>

http://splargoth.blogspot.com/
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:58 pm

or a tiny bit of meccano :lol:
CorranP90
Weasel

Postby CorranP90 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:41 pm

javelin is anti tank not anti air or atleast thats how it is in brit army. javelin is for use agaisnt main battle tanks and nlaw is for use agaisnt light armour at short range around 500 metres. starstreak is the anti air missile as is the rapier but rapier is for short range an can fire on 2 targets at the same time where as the starstreak is long range for use agaisnt single fast moving target. lsw is better at long range accurate sustained fire where as minime is more a spray an prey at long range an is only useful for suppression. u dont get a choice wot weapon ur givin as its ur nco who decides how his section is set up not u. i agree with that other dude said bout weapon loadout changes with the mission but the standard layout is 2 lsw 2 minime 2 sa80s with ugl an 2 sa80s as that gives best overall cover an response for most engagements...apart from air or armour obviously :p
did i nade you?

*SAS troops whilst playing joke on delta force in fort bragg*
"wot u think ur playing at!" delta said to the shaking bush with drunken giggles coming out of it
"P**S OFF! were on a covert op"
BuShips
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby BuShips » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:29 pm

emperorpenguin wrote:
Mr Evil wrote::D :D mmm conversion time awaits
So how do we make

(picture removed)

out of

(picture removed)

?
I can visualise the one gun inside of the larger, so actually it's pretty doable. I'd add the rear grip/stand first. Then I'd cut the barrel off just forward of the front sight guide, then make up the extended barrel. A pin vise could be used to place the holes. The bipod could be made from a bent piece of small wire. The L85 would serve as a great base model for conversion. :D
©2002 Thomas Schmid, with permission. Visit http://www.3dhistory.de/.
hegemon
Banded Mongoose

Postby hegemon » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:42 pm

corranP90, first the british dont use the AT javelin, before starstreak we used Javelin http://www.pmulcahy.com/sams/british_sams.html, and I'm sorry but your information is incorrect.

Rapier is a Medium range Air defence asset, while Starstreak is a Close or Short Range Air Defence asset, starstreak may have an effective range comparable to Rapier, the operational range is hindered as the operator requires line of sight on the target at all times, guiding it by the laser designator, whereas Rapier is track's via the radar computer giving it the range advantage.

additionally, the ADAD system which is the "radar" for starstreak may only detect Rotary wing craft at 5k and pop-up's Rotary wing craft / harrier at 3.5k
Why do planes fly??

captainsmirk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby captainsmirk » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:21 pm

hegemon wrote:corranP90, first the british dont use the AT javelin
Not yet anyway. It is the proposed replacement for the Milan however.

Nick

I stand corrected apparently the FGM-148 Javelin began to replace Milan and swingfire in 2005. Dunno how accurate that info is. Although thinking about it I think I saw on in a shot of British troops on TV, might have been mistaken though.
Captain Sheridan you're under arrest for a clear violation of the laws of physics!
Jellicoe
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jellicoe » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:44 pm

It's referred to as Light Forces Anti-Tank Guided Weapon (LFATGW) Javelin.
captainsmirk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby captainsmirk » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:48 pm

Indeed it is...

Only just noticed that...
I used the US designation to remove any confusion over it being the SAM...

Nick
CorranP90
Weasel

Postby CorranP90 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:06 am

iv seen videos of anti tank javelin bein field tested an m8 who not long done AT training also says its replacing milan .
not sure bout the aa version though as thats first iv heard of it.
http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/pw/pw_mat.htm
http://www.defenceimagedatabase.mod.uk/ ... 8FE6435F7B
http://www.defenceimagedatabase.mod.uk/ ... 8FE6435F7B
thats a couple pics of the anti tank version an heres the aa version that jus found on brit army website of aa javelin
http://www.defenceimagedatabase.mod.uk/ ... A7627BDE90
http://www.defenceimagedatabase.mod.uk/ ... A7627BDE90
so it looks like were both rite lol why the bloody hell use same name for 2 completely different weapons?!!!
mind u look at the US who call every type of equipment m1 m2 m3 m4 an so on even though think m1 was originall the sherman an m1 rifles in ww2 now bein used for m1a2 abrahms....madness lol
did i nade you?

"wot u think ur playing at!" delta said to the shaking bush with drunken giggles coming out of it
CorranP90
Weasel

Postby CorranP90 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:26 am

is that website a rpg website? some of the stuff on it isnt very accurate at all apart from stuff they copy an pasted off other websites. troops ditched sa80s during combat to use other weapons?! obviously knows nothin bout brit operating procedures that stops any soldier doin so as weapon could easily be set as a mine like the ak74s can be if u take out the cleaning kit from the butt an put in a charge. plus it wud screw up the section layout and its only done on VERY rare occasions when a rifle is damaged or out 5.56 ammo. an the sa80a2 is combat proven an is an extremely robust riflewith up to 80% reliability compared to m16a2s 50%. even the old a1 wasnt as bad as media made it out to be as long as u cleaned it regularly an kept it in good nick then it wud work wether it had schizz down the barrel or not but it did favour cold conditions which it was built to operate in...althoghh it did have tendency to melt in plastic parts such as cheek rest when in hot weather lol
did i nade you?

captainsmirk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby captainsmirk » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:28 pm

CorranP90 wrote:not sure bout the aa version though as thats first iv heard of it.

so it looks like were both rite lol why the bloody hell use same name for 2 completely different weapons?!!!
Really? It entered service in the 1980's.

Its been replaced by Startreak now of course. It was an imporved version of Blowpipe, after that failed miserably in the Falklands and Afghanistan.

The name of anti-tank missile is the one that the Americans gave it, and has been taken up by the British army. The Javelin AA missile is as I mentioned nearly 20 years older, and no longer in active service.

Nick
CorranP90
Weasel

Postby CorranP90 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:51 pm

as far as i know blowpipe performed admirably considering the conditions an how few enemy planes flew over the islands after the landings as most squadrons were down to less than half strength an were all sent after the navy not the para/marines. also blowpipe is meant to be used as last resort if plane has got through all other air defenses an its attackin u which by the time its come in range for u to fire its already bombed u :roll:
did i nade you?

captainsmirk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby captainsmirk » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:38 am

Well of the 100 missiles fired in the Falklands only nine are recorded to have hit.. and the Afghans had little success with against hovering Soviet Helicopters.

The probelm was that the system of operation required a skilled operator to be truely effective, the Mujadin were never going to receive that training, and it appears most of thr British Army operators didn't either. Javelin was intended to make operation easier.

If Blowpipe worked then there wouldn't have been any reason to replace it. It had only been in service 8 years iteself by the Falklands.

Nick
CorranP90
Weasel

Postby CorranP90 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:27 pm

only on a couple very rare occasions was the blowpipe the only air defense asset around an therefore lot less kill ratio to rounds fired as all other aa weapons were far better such as sea dart/wolf an rapiers. aswel as argentine piltos had orders to avoid ground fire an go for the ships so no direct ground attacks on troops therefore less chances of getin a hit. with the blowpipe u also needed to keep the target in ur crosshairs so any building mountain hill or woteva gets in the way the weapon is made useless, most modern aa is now fire an forget so these obstacles dont hinder them. theres always room for improvement so every weapon at some point is made obsolete especially with aa as air tech kept on getin more an more advanced so did the aa. an u gota remember it was the 82 so most handheld aa back then was ancient an not all that much better than weapons used in korea or vietnam :p only decent handheld aa back then was the brand spankin new stinger
did i nade you?