Light Armoured Landrovers for the Brits

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:53 am

Gibbs wrote:First point. Aren't paratroopers being phased-out? They've been phased out in the Australian army in favour of Mechanized infantry. It was also decided that the Commandos were capable of mass para-drops and that parachuting wasn't a viable large scale assault option anymore.

Point two. I'm liking the idea of 1 TOW in a squadron of three. That way you can use three of them to transport a squad (either regular or elite) *and* give the squad a much needed AT option.

As for weapons...any thought of actually having one MG and one 50cal? Two MGs is fine though.
The WW2 jeeps had a lot more firepower. Check this out:

Although some had duel lewis guns on the front too. Now that's what I'm talking about 8) :twisted:
Not sure about para's being phased out. Yes mass combat drops into hostile teritory are very expensive and to be avoided if at all possible, but having that option open is something I think the military will be loath to loose.

Given the way our Army is going at the moment I don't see regular troops being able to get access to LDRs for combat work, I imagine they will become specail forces only.

I suppose there is no reason to stp us from adding an upgrade option for swapping one of the MGs for a 50cal for 10 points or something, except for the fact that MGP isn't going down the custom armed vehicles.... YET :lol:
We play CTA/SFoS (using counters and FA models), Starship Troopers (evo), 40k, Flames of War, BF EVO

RP, B5, Star Wars, and others. If you are local to Newcastle upon Tyne and fancy joining in drop me a message.
Gibbs
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Gibbs » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:04 pm

cordas wrote:
Not sure about para's being phased out. Yes mass combat drops into hostile teritory are very expensive and to be avoided if at all possible, but having that option open is something I think the military will be loath to loose.

Given the way our Army is going at the moment I don't see regular troops being able to get access to LDRs for combat work, I imagine they will become specail forces only.

I suppose there is no reason to stp us from adding an upgrade option for swapping one of the MGs for a 50cal for 10 points or something, except for the fact that MGP isn't going down the custom armed vehicles.... YET :lol:
Ummm... some of the 50cals on my Abrams aren't glued in and at the moment they fit nicely on top of my warrior (in the holes provided for antennae). Hehe :roll:. They've got the pieces required to do it already, it just requires sticking in an already existent part into a yet to be designed model.

Regular troops may not have access to them usually but being transports they could still use them for quick extractions from tight spots as the SAS lay down suppressive fire.
"Fire can be our servant, whether it's toasting S'mores or raining down on Charlie." Principal Skinner
"You're Type 99 looked lonely so I painted it for you, now he's with Jesus...
and all the other Type 99s."
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm

We will have to wait and see what the main rules say about using transports, and wether or not different units than they where bought for can use them.
We play CTA/SFoS (using counters and FA models), Starship Troopers (evo), 40k, Flames of War, BF EVO

RP, B5, Star Wars, and others. If you are local to Newcastle upon Tyne and fancy joining in drop me a message.
Rob_A
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rob_A » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:54 pm

emperorpenguin wrote:I want to see the Irish Army Rangers' Technicals! :D

I always knew them Irish were as backwards as the middle east!
:lol: REALLY JOKING! :lol:

But yeah, that does look pretty cool man!
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:41 pm

Rob_alderman wrote: I always knew them Irish were as backwards as the middle east!
:lol: REALLY JOKING! :lol:

But yeah, that does look pretty cool man!
:lol: my brother and I were looking up some info on the Irish army and found this, thought it was hilarious! Ireland's equipment is mostly outdated or second-rate (barring the guns). Panhards and Scorpions for armour, no combat aircraft.
I also couldn't realistically see Ireland partaking in an EFTF type force for neutrality reasons, peacekeeping yes but war no.
Still some Irish troops with steyrs, technicals and a Scorpion would be cool!
Into the Fire: 4th place
Wheel of Fire: 9th place
Gaelcon 2006: 2nd place
Rob_A
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rob_A » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:57 pm

even as peacekeeping troops, a small force could be made of them (probably no more than 2000 BF:Evo wise)...

I don't know much about modern warfare, I just want to play the game! :lol:
Low Roller 1-1
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Low Roller 1-1 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:26 pm

Here we go a revised set of stats from the comments this afternoon - not sure on the points costs.

LDR 60pts each
Size 2
Move 12
CC D10
Target 6+
Armour 5+
Kill 9+

Armed with - MG 3xD6, 50cal. 2 x D6+1

Special rules
50cal: -1 armour, double suppression, may be used as AA
MG: -1 armour, double suppression, can only be fire when if carrying a troop section (e.g. the LDR comes with a driver and a gunner, the additional MG can be crewed by one of the transported section) may be used as AA
Transport: can carry 5 size 1 models which may not fire out, if destroyed then all models take D6 damage dice
Agile: If the Vehicle moves 8” or more in a turn it adds +1 to its Target and Kill scores
Tough: will ignore the first failed armour save and ignores suppression

Army list - 2 LDR for each transport slot + 1 additional Support LDR
Elite forces
Para’s - air drop can enter the battle field on turn two from a neutral edge of the table at extra 25pts
SAS - can set up an extra 12" in cover + gets the additional SAS bonus for cover (stealthy) at an extra 25pts

Support LDR 80pts each
Size 2
Move 12
CC D10
Target 6+
Armour 5+
Kill 9+

Armed with MG each 3xD6, TOW missile D10+3,

Special rules
MG: -1 armour, double suppression, can be used as AA
TOW missile, Limited ammo so only 4 shots per game, can only fired once per turn and never as a reaction.
The TOW can be fired in any direction and can fire at the same time as the MG, as it has a separate gunner,
-3 to armour will roll an extra D6 to every model within 1inch these extra models need not be in line of sight, You may opt to roll this weapons damage dice against a model of size 2 or larger in the fire zone rather than normally allocating.

Transport: can carry 5 size 1 models which may not fire out, if destroyed then all models take D6 damage dice
Agile: If the Vehicle moves 8” or more in a turn it adds +1 to its Target and Kill scores

Army list -1 Support LDR for every 2 LDR
Elite forces
Para’s - air drop can enter the battle field on turn two from a neutral edge of the table at extra 25pts
SAS - can set up an extra 12" in cover + gets the additional SAS bonus for cover (stealthy) at an extra 25pts

As for there use in the real world - the only reason I know about them is there use for patrol duty by normal troops in Afganistan.

I can see a big roll for this type of transpot in the game may be not the whole army but a section or two as a rapid responce.

what do you guys think of the revisions?
Low Roller 1-1

Rolling low since 1975
Mr Evil
Chief Mongoose

Postby Mr Evil » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:51 pm

looks good comparing it to the pla FAV maybe go 75 points and 85 points respectivly.

but 70 points doese seem to feel right. i think the pla one should be 70 points aswell to be honest.

if your having agile you need to drop the target and kill down by one though, other wise small arms fire has zero chance of hurting it if its on the move.
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/cygnarsghost.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>

http://splargoth.blogspot.com/
Low Roller 1-1
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Low Roller 1-1 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:16 pm

See what your saying rifles still need to be able to do dammage it is only a landy after all
So target 5+
but there has been some of talk about survivabilty in real life (of which i know little) so may be armour 4+ to compensate?
and an increase of 10pts
I may get to play test these on thursday if Shane agrees -he may want to use them himself :wink:

like this?
Version 2a
LDR 70pts each
Size 2
Move 12
CC D10
Target 5+
Armour 4+
Kill 9+

Armed with - MG 3xD6, 50cal. 2 x D6+1

Special rules
50cal: -1 armour, double suppression, may be used as AA
MG: -1 armour, double suppression, can only be fire when if carrying a troop section (e.g. the LDR comes with a driver and a gunner, the additional MG can be crewed by one of the transported section) may be used as AA

Army list - 2 LDR for each transport slot + 1 additional Support LDR
Elite forces

Support LDR 90pts each
Size 2
Move 12
CC D10
Target 5+
Armour 4+
Kill 9+

Armed with MG each 3xD6, TOW missile D10+3,

Special rules
MG: -1 armour, double suppression, can be used as AA
TOW missile, Limited ammo so only 4 shots per game, can only fired once per turn and never as a reaction.
The TOW can be fired in any direction and can fire at the same time as the MG, as it has a separate gunner,
-3 to armour will roll an extra D6 to every model within 1inch these extra models need not be in line of sight, You may opt to roll this weapons damage dice against a model of size 2 or larger in the fire zone rather than normally allocating.

Army list -1 Support LDR for every 2 LDR
Elite forces
Low Roller 1-1

Rolling low since 1975
Mr Evil
Chief Mongoose

Postby Mr Evil » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:42 pm

id keep the save to 6+ as its not realy armoured at all, would mean youd need to move fast from cover to cover to make it hard to kill, but at hight speed and obscurment dont forget it goes to target 7 so the armour save is of little use, if it sits there and doenst move in the open i think it deserves to die.
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/cygnarsghost.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>

http://splargoth.blogspot.com/
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:12 pm

I can't remember the Technicals stats, but I reckon the Landys should be at least as well armoured as those, if not more.

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
Jellicoe
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jellicoe » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:35 pm

Low Roller 1-1 wrote:Armed with MG each 3xD6, TOW missile D10+3,
Would it not be a MILAN mounting for any British equipped vehicle of that type?
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:38 pm

Yes, although Milan is being (has been?) replaced by Javelin
DM's naval website, now moved to the NWS site
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/nav ... links.html
Co-author "Order of Battle"
Author, "Age of Dreadnoughts"
Bloke who paints VAS ships for Matt
Bacon Number of 4 :D
Jellicoe
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jellicoe » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:42 pm

DM wrote:Yes, although Milan is being (has been?) replaced by Javelin
MILAN always used to be mounted in this way, have not seen a Javelin mounted like this though. Almost certainly it would be in 10 years time - then maybe not :)
Jellicoe
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jellicoe » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:58 pm

Apart from 0.5" MG and AT weapons there is a new weapon available:

Related article:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Defen ... nistan.htm
Low Roller 1-1
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Low Roller 1-1 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:16 pm

Cool granade launcher. - thanks for the link

As for the Milan/ javlin - I'm pretty crap at the army stuff so taking what people have told me on the boards.

So I will change it to the Javlin

Evil/LBH - i based it on the MEA techs so keeping the target but increaseing the armour would keep with feel of the vehical - It doesn't stop an RPG but a rifle can do damage but the crew have a little more protection.

Here are some pics of the 2nd Battlion of the Royal Fusiliers on operations in afgainistan for thoese who say its only SAS or para's should have them http://www.army.mod.uk/fusiliers/battal ... ctures.htm
Low Roller 1-1

Rolling low since 1975
Gibbs
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Gibbs » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:26 pm

Jellicoe wrote:Apart from 0.5" MG and AT weapons there is a new weapon available:

Related article:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Defen ... nistan.htm
:shock: Burst of three-five? 1.5 to 2 km range :shock: automatic grenade launcher :shock: When will the hurting stop?
"Fire can be our servant, whether it's toasting S'mores or raining down on Charlie." Principal Skinner
Jellicoe
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jellicoe » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:58 pm

Low Roller 1-1 wrote:Here are some pics of the 2nd Battlion of the Royal Fusiliers on operations in afgainistan for thoese who say its only SAS or para's should have them http://www.army.mod.uk/fusiliers/battal ... ctures.htm
"everyone" uses them. The main difference though is that the SAS/Para ones tended to carry a heavier armament, heavy MG + mounted light MGs etc..
Low Roller 1-1
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Low Roller 1-1 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:27 pm

Jellicoe wrote:
Low Roller 1-1 wrote:Here are some pics of the 2nd Battlion of the Royal Fusiliers on operations in afgainistan for thoese who say its only SAS or para's should have them http://www.army.mod.uk/fusiliers/battal ... ctures.htm
"everyone" uses them. The main difference though is that the SAS/Para ones tended to carry a heavier armament, heavy MG + mounted light MGs etc..
May be this is something we could add :)
Low Roller 1-1

Rolling low since 1975
Gibbs
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Gibbs » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:14 am

Jellicoe wrote: "everyone" uses them. The main difference though is that the SAS/Para ones tended to carry a heavier armament, heavy MG + mounted light MGs etc..
From the article it seems that everyone uses the 50cal as well as the GPMG, not just SAS/Para. This grenade launcher is being brought in to replace the 50cal as the heavier weapon. It may already be in service with the special forces units.

Anyway, these would be great.