why can't the new cards look like this?

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Judge Xombe
Stoat

why can't the new cards look like this?

Postby Judge Xombe » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:21 pm

I was playing around with the stats for SST: EVO and my design software and wondered why the cards can't look like this...

(edit: added new version based on some feedback)

Last edited by Judge Xombe on Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breten
Stoat

Postby Breten » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:45 pm

Nice work. I think you should put one together for the Grizzlies. :)

I would if I had a clue how to properly use all my design software.
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:52 pm

Looks good, and its readable :shock: Who would have ever have thought of making a readable card..... Well apart from Hiromoon and yourself....

Just wish the rest of the cards where readable... or I had even a smidgen of creative ability to do them myself.
We play CTA/SFoS (using counters and FA models), Starship Troopers (evo), 40k, Flames of War, BF EVO

RP, B5, Star Wars, and others. If you are local to Newcastle upon Tyne and fancy joining in drop me a message.
Poko
Banded Mongoose

Postby Poko » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:23 pm

very nice,with the exception of those wierd icons on the left. and you omitted the statline.
*found them.am blind :oops: *
Last edited by Poko on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom is nothing but justification for the vile and the stupid. when they speak of freedom,they think not of other people's freedom,but their own slavery"
Anton Gorodecki,Mage of the Moscov NighWatch.
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:31 pm

Not bad....

I apologize, folks, for not getting more of the preview cards made up.
ImageImage
Thanks Veon and ScipioAmericanus!
www.zupandevelopment.com
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:43 pm

Wasn't going to say anything but :)
We play CTA/SFoS (using counters and FA models), Starship Troopers (evo), 40k, Flames of War, BF EVO

RP, B5, Star Wars, and others. If you are local to Newcastle upon Tyne and fancy joining in drop me a message.
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Re: why can't the new cards look like this?

Postby emperorpenguin » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:29 am

Judge Xombe wrote:I was playing around with the stats for SST: EVO and my design software and wondered why the cards can't look like this...

Nice work! I'd like for it to be obvious which of the stats in the coloured boxes are which though
Into the Fire: 4th place
Wheel of Fire: 9th place
Gaelcon 2006: 2nd place
BuShips
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: why can't the new cards look like this?

Postby BuShips » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:43 am

emperorpenguin wrote:
Judge Xombe wrote:I was playing around with the stats for SST: EVO and my design software and wondered why the cards can't look like this...

Nice work! I'd like for it to be obvious which of the stats in the coloured boxes are which though
Well, let's see. :wink:

[Move] 5"
[Close Combat] D6-1
[Target] 3+
[Armour] 6+
[Kill] 5+

Not too hard. As with any system, it wouldn't take very long to lock onto an association between symbol "short-cuts" and their meanings.
©2002 Thomas Schmid, with permission. Visit http://www.3dhistory.de/.
MarkNorfolk
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby MarkNorfolk » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:49 am

Very, very good. If I may...

Maybe if the yellow square was an arrow for more of an association with movement.

The Picture is not of LAMI - put a movie pic in and damn the copyright.

Needs Longbow stats.

Cheers
Mark
The Old Soldier
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby The Old Soldier » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:12 am

^ I assume longbow stats, unit numbers, rifle stats ect. would be on the back of the card as normal.
"On the Bounce"
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:21 am

The Old Soldier wrote:^ I assume longbow stats, unit numbers, rifle stats ect. would be on the back of the card as normal.
Unit stats are on the front if you look for them, I also assume the extra info for the Lonbow, grenages and pee wee will be on the back.

It does take a little bit of time to extract the infro from the card, but thats simply because its new, and doesn't follow an already known format.

The Old Soldier
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby The Old Soldier » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:29 am

^yes I can see that. But, I stated unit numbers(ie. how many members in the unit), and weapons stats. I assume would be on the back, since there seems to be no room on the front of his card.
"On the Bounce"
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:38 am

The Old Soldier wrote:But, I stated unit numbers(ie. how many members in the unit)
Look in the middle of the card..... it says sergant and 7 men, then at the bottom how many extra's you can add.

The Old Soldier
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby The Old Soldier » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:43 am

Still do not see it. You are talking about this homemade card design, right?
"On the Bounce"
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:48 am

Yup look in the middle of the card, just below the picture.

On the left hand side it says MI Squad Infantry in black bold then just below that and to the right a bit....

Hmmm it should say Light Armoured Mobile Infantry (LAMI)

The Old Soldier
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby The Old Soldier » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:51 am

Sorry the card stops at the pic, there is nothing under it when I look at it. Don't know why.
"On the Bounce"
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:53 am

Hmmm maybe you just have interweb demons.... it does go on to give more details below.

Judge Xombe
Stoat

Postby Judge Xombe » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:56 pm

cordas wrote:
The Old Soldier wrote:^ I assume longbow stats, unit numbers, rifle stats ect. would be on the back of the card as normal.
Unit stats are on the front if you look for them, I also assume the extra info for the Lonbow, grenages and pee wee will be on the back.

It does take a little bit of time to extract the infro from the card, but thats simply because its new, and doesn't follow an already known format.
On the back...or
I was considering a possibility that you could have other cards featuring the optionals.
ex; Longbow - cost 35
They could have cost values in the upper right and weapons stats along the bottom, so you can so you can kind of slip them under the squad card, but still see the weapon stats and cost peeking out the right and bottom.

and yes the unit stat icons are move (which would be better as an arrow!) and the others have icons that make sense (to me anyway)

damage (explosion)
cross or target sight (target)
shield (armour)
red X (kill)

Thanks for all the feedback. I realize the images are copyright, but mongoose would use their own artwork there.
BuShips
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby BuShips » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Judge Xombe wrote:I realize the images are copyright, but mongoose would use their own artwork there.
Actually, they would be the ones that could use the image in the card, as they have the liscense to use any of the media from the two movies and the CGI series. :)
©2002 Thomas Schmid, with permission. Visit http://www.3dhistory.de/.
Rob_A
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rob_A » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:22 pm

Its like a mix of Conf and Warmachine.
Readability of Warmachine, but the annoying stat-lines of Conf (I forget what the symbols mean).