why can't the new cards look like this?

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
MaxSteiner
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Location: Superman or Green Lantern ain't got a-nothin' on me

Postby MaxSteiner » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:08 pm

Those look so much better than the Mongoose ones its unfunny :shock:
Love the idea of weapons being on different cards (Im pretty keen on cards I can read too!), maybe they could pay you and Hiro to do the cards from now on? :D
Quark wrote:EGADS! When did MAX BECOME THE VOICE OF REASON AROUND HERE?! :shock: :lol:
Poko
Banded Mongoose

Postby Poko » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:31 pm

hmm..funnily,the design grew on me...i still prefer the Name-value statline,but the rest is kewl :D
"Freedom is nothing but justification for the vile and the stupid. when they speak of freedom,they think not of other people's freedom,but their own slavery"
Anton Gorodecki,Mage of the Moscov NighWatch.
Rob_A
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rob_A » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:31 pm

No, I love these cards.
No offense Hiromoon, yours are great for ink purposes, I do actually use them sometimes. But I would love to see this guy make these.

Hey Old Bear!
Check these out! Bloody awesome no? :lol:
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:49 pm

*shrugs* I'm a trend setter. :D
ImageImage
Thanks Veon and ScipioAmericanus!
www.zupandevelopment.com
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:16 pm

I dunno I am torn between the idea of having seperate cards for special weapons, and just putting the info "on the back of the card". I really suppose it comes down to how many different units are going to be using the same weapons...

I like the idea of using "both" sides because I have access to a laminator, so making 1 durable card appeals more than having 2 or more cards per unit, and as most none bug squads have access to at least 2 special weapons it will he hard just to double up.

Still love the look of your cards Judge Xombe, can't wait to get the rest of them ;) I really REALLY like the tick boxes, we have just started using lami cards for ACTA from burgers ship viewer with white board marker pens and it really makes the game seem to flow faster, so the idea of having a card with multi tick boxes for wounds errr failed armour saves sounds great.....
We play CTA/SFoS (using counters and FA models), Starship Troopers (evo), 40k, Flames of War, BF EVO

RP, B5, Star Wars, and others. If you are local to Newcastle upon Tyne and fancy joining in drop me a message.
Judge Xombe
Stoat

Postby Judge Xombe » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:06 am

Credit to the Mongoose designers who are probably working on a slim budget...and who need to fit every unit's stats and weapons on a card layout.
When you start to design cards for every unit you have to be aware of the amount of info that each card will need before you design. Imagine these cards trying to fit all the bug rules on. Although concise reminder text is usually good enough.

This was just a "dream design" idea of how I wished they would consider doing the cards.

Sort of inspired by the dryness (IMO) of the preview cards in the S&P issue, Hiromoon's much better looking card ideas, plus the way D&D minis/Warmachine use tick-boxes for uses, oh and also BattleLore cards, that basically act as rules reference for whatever a given scenario uses.

I truly think that for games like SST:EVO (that plan to release new features with new models) having cards (that you can use in-game) that contain new rules for units, for terrain, weapons, etc. is a good way to go.

You lay out the terrain and models for the scenario, grab only the cards for the units/weapons/specials you plan to use (for each player) and go.

Thanks to all for the kind words. I really wish I had the time to do them all. We'll see. You're better bet is with Hiro though I'm guessing.
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:09 am

Lots of practice and the use of a standard template.
ImageImage
www.zupandevelopment.com
Rob_A
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rob_A » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:34 am

The MGP cards are massive, judging by the BF:Evo cards. Really annoying to find somewhere to put them, unlike the WM or Conf cards which are standard sized and there are huge amounts of things you can put them in (I use page card sleeves).

I think SST:Evo should have Card packs for each force, MGP plan the first say, 10 waves and put all the stats out into a card pack that costs around £6 (around 25-30 cards per force), then more card packs as necessary after that. :)

This way, you never have too many of a certain card that you KNOW you will end up with more than you need (e.g. Warrior Bugs).

Im not sure. I don't know. :?

But I do like having smaller easier to handle cards. Though the big cards have the bonus of all the weapon stats on them.
Who thought this could be so hard?! :lol:
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:30 am

I like the larger cards, they are just easier for us with poor eye sight to read. I can read smaller stuff but it takes time and concentration, and the middle of a battle those are things that are needed elsewhere...

I have put my tupence in before about my hopes that MGP will release a nice plastic or tin box for each army with all the existing unit stats on...... It would also be nice to get a box got BF: Evo at some point in the future.
We play CTA/SFoS (using counters and FA models), Starship Troopers (evo), 40k, Flames of War, BF EVO

RP, B5, Star Wars, and others. If you are local to Newcastle upon Tyne and fancy joining in drop me a message.
Judge Xombe
Stoat

Postby Judge Xombe » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:53 pm

cordas wrote:I have put my tupence in before about my hopes that MGP will release a nice plastic or tin box for each army with all the existing unit stats on...... It would also be nice to get a box got BF: Evo at some point in the future.
Now there's a unique idea - make the box that the units come in double as a piece of cardstock terrain like a bunker!

I didn't realize the EVO cards were larger than normal. Mine is based on a 3.5 x 2.5 trading card size.
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:03 pm

Scarey, isn't it? I call the MGP cards Table cards because you can see them from anywhere on the table (almost).

My card were, probably not surprisingly, a guess. I discovered after the fact that they could fit comfortably in a standard card holder....
ImageImage
www.zupandevelopment.com