Splitting up squads-Is there a reason not to do it.

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
brook
Banded Mongoose

Splitting up squads-Is there a reason not to do it.

Postby brook » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:43 pm

While playing the PLA, I always slip the teams up. Is there a time when this is not the most effective way to play the PLA?
Ben2
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Ben2 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:48 pm

When you deploy the whole lot in one piece of cover vs MEA (ie nobody with tanks) at least 2" apart if possible, and don't want to be suppressed easily.
Old B5W developer and professional shut in.
Mr Evil
Chief Mongoose

Postby Mr Evil » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:13 pm

smaller units are more prone to supression, large units are good and making enemy units supressed, use a mix.
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/cygnarsghost.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>

http://splargoth.blogspot.com/
Turtle
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Turtle » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:26 pm

Split off the PLA MG fireteam when you find a good position for it to use its longer 30" range.

For the most part, try to keep the squad together unless the terrain is too packed to allow a large squad to move safely in cover.
"I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. And I'd like to remind them that as a trusted TV personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves."
byram
Cosmic Mongoose
Location: shiny so-cal, with a constant tempureature of HOT AS HELL!!!!

Postby byram » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:31 am

then again, a squad of 3 dies alot easier than a squad of 10, personally i break up my squads, to have the flexibility, yes it may not be good in game terms, but its also more fluffy i guess (ok maybe not...)
HEY FAT-SO I GOT YOU YOUR FAVORITE THING, DISSAPOINTMENT!
127th Angry Angels
Banded Mongoose

Postby 127th Angry Angels » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:16 am

Also, remeber that squads can rejoin and split up when it grants them an advantage, they don't have to stay as deployed.
Check out Diamortis for your melodic death metal needs :)

http://www.myspace.com/diamortis
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:16 pm

127th Angry Angels wrote:Also, remeber that squads can rejoin and split up when it grants them an advantage, they don't have to stay as deployed.
Au contraire, the rules on the cards so far allow you to split off fire teams at the start of a turn or at the start of the battle, but there are as yet no rules for rejoining them that I've seen.

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades