Which re-model is coming next?

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
H
Chief Mongoose

Which re-model is coming next?

Postby H » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:56 pm

Hey, this is a post I hope Matt can read, recently he said he "thought" that the Drakh carrier or moship was the next resculpt after the excelent work on the Z'Takk.
Have you found out yet Matt? any idea on timescales at all, very loose ones will do :-)
I AM RONIN!
Abraxas
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Abraxas » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:53 pm

I was thinking about getting some Drahk ships...

Maybe I will wait for the official recast.

Anyone want Vorlons? I want to get Drahk but stupidly bought Vorlons. Trade?

Just throwing it out there...
I was merely being specific. In my experience, if you can not say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything.
-Lord Dranno
H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:48 pm

I think only the mo ship and carrier were being re-cast, and with a good paintjob, the rest don't look too bad really. ok, theirs NO detail at all, hence the requirement of a good paint job ;-)
I AM RONIN!
Abraxas
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Abraxas » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:52 pm

hiffano wrote:I think only the mo ship and carrier were being re-cast, and with a good paintjob, the rest don't look too bad really. ok, theirs NO detail at all, hence the requirement of a good paint job ;-)
I hate the cruiser. The one in the show was SOOOOOO much better looking. But generally, people don't use cruisers anyway, it seams.
I was merely being specific. In my experience, if you can not say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything.
-Lord Dranno
H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:56 am

depends really, the light cruiser is a fine ship, and I have had some sucess using the cruiser, I certainly intend using it in a big campaign game this weekend :-)
I AM RONIN!
Nightmares about Minbari
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Nightmares about Minbari » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:06 pm

I'd thought the cruiser was the backbone of the Drakh fleet from my look at the stats (at the higher priorities), why isn't it being used? Any ideas, have I missed something?
N.A.M.
3:10:35:25
Gives me chills
I salute the Old Bear, never to be forgotten!
Davesaint
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Davesaint » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:18 pm

Nightmares about Minbari wrote:I'd thought the cruiser was the backbone of the Drakh fleet from my look at the stats (at the higher priorities), why isn't it being used? Any ideas, have I missed something?
Because people would rather take the carrier and all it's raiders.

Dave
B_Steele
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby B_Steele » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:23 pm

I dunno, I personally like cutting ships apart with my Cruisers.

To each their own, I suppose.

-Bry
katadder
Chief Mongoose

Postby katadder » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:26 pm

i knows Nicks cruiser annoyed me with its damn rear firing anti fighter beam on my whitestars.
1st & Only Centauri Grand Admiral

LONAW Fleets: http://www.mediafire.com/?tddmi2mjcl2
H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:30 am

the cruiser is fine, unless it goes up against something like a sharlin, then it becomes a prime target, and explodes most hideously in one volley from said sharlin. the following turn it's fellow cruiser went pop as well.

but anyway, no answer to my question? I noticed the drakh fleet box post got deleted, is that good news? or bad news? I had to use a VCD as my mo-ship on saturday, oh the shame!
I AM RONIN!
CZuschlag
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby CZuschlag » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:33 pm

Nightmares: I dunno why I don't use my Cruiser so much. I guess it's because I don't like to take Drakh at high priorities, and my personal perference is maneouver with overloads of Raiders.

Yes, at War priorities, it's easily the way to go. But it really doesn't match up well as a Hull-5 battle-level ship. Sure, it has GEG 3, but against the (often) beam-heavy high-priority stuff out there, it tends to get caught. IT's a wired amalgam, really -- it can fly, almost alone, into the midst of an enemy fleet and survive just fine -- all the point defense stuff bounces off the powerful GEG system. However, in so doing, it accumulates hordes of critical effects -- the GEG does nothing to stop those, and the Hull 5 increases the chances of a hit in the first place. But again, it wants into the midst -- the ability to routines engage both Tinashi-quality beam systems at the same time is devastating. And, there on the other hand (one more time!) it has to run through the wall of fire to get there.

And here the rub -- in many instances, you'll do almost as well with Light Cruisers. That's the choice, isn't it? They're both Hull 5; is is twice the size the other, the other has two for one. And getting to use that rear beam is almost too much of a pain.

This has relegated the Cruiser to something that I insert via a jump point. At that role, it's absolutely brutal. It usually wants friends, either a pair of Light Cruisers -- I want other jump engines -- or another CA. Given that I also want to sink it out with raiders and support, that places it at a minimum bid of 6 Battle. After that point, I start accumulating CAs. But not really before.

Alternate option: worth mentioning -- against 6 Skirmish or so, if you want to try putting your eggs in one basket, this ship is a beast to kill. As always with Drakh, if the size of the battle is small, go totally overwhelming (hordes of Raiders), or go impenetrable (biggest combat GEG ship you can find). Don't do neither.
"Not everything that can be counted counts; and not everything that counts can be counted." -- George Gallup

Dilgar -- Primary
Drakh -- Secondary
Early EA -- Tertiary
Burger
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Burger » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:39 pm

Of course, fighting ISA you want to use Cruisers a lot. Deploy backwards and watch them crumble to your Anti-Fighter Neutron BeamsTM.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
Cos there's bugger all down here on Earth.

CZuschlag
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby CZuschlag » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:43 pm

Maybe, but you can do the same very elegantly with hordes of Light Raiders -- you'll initiative sink him out (Skirmish ships vs. Raid), fly behind him (Ha! See how you like it, Mr. White Star! Muahahaha!), either whip around, or obliterate his Vree Scout support (of course he has these!) and remove the offending ships in a partiuclarly demoralizing manner.

With the CA, we're giving him a chance -- he can try to be in the side. The above just gives the ISA some Turtle Wax -- a consolation prize.
"Not everything that can be counted counts; and not everything that counts can be counted." -- George Gallup

Dilgar -- Primary
Drakh -- Secondary
Early EA -- Tertiary
H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:46 pm

against six skirmish ships, good at this unless it's the beam team or Bat Squad, then it's a matter of can you pop them fast enough as they could have some 18 dice of beams assumng a ka'toc squadron!
I AM RONIN!
CZuschlag
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby CZuschlag » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:51 pm

Even the Bat Squad has a time of it -- all of the beams are in groups of two (or for the Ka'Toc, less!). Even for the beams, that's a long, slow trudge through the GEG 3 multiple times. At 6 Skirmish, you're probably supported by 2 Light Raiders or a CL, so two or three (you probably won initiative) of the Bats probably won't get to boresight the CA at all. Kill 2 --- and the rest is probably gravy; it's not like the Ka'T**s point defense guns scare the CA in the slightest. Or the Frazi.

Dilgar -- Primary
Drakh -- Secondary
Early EA -- Tertiary
Burger
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Burger » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:53 pm

CZuschlag wrote:it's not like the Ka'T**s point defense guns scare the CA in the slightest. Or the Frazi.
ORLY??!?!?!
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
Cos there's bugger all down here on Earth.

H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:57 pm

i DUNNO, I'VE HAD A LIGHT CRUISER CRITED OUT OF THE GAME BY FRAZIS.
oops, sorry about caps, my keyboard is defective, honest!
I AM RONIN!
CZuschlag
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby CZuschlag » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:03 pm

No problem, hiffano.

Exceptional cases, do occur; that's why the crit table is there. Not doubting in the slightest. As I mentioned, Drakh habitually acquire more criticals than any other race -- they're designed to. They also dish out as many as (almost) any other race; an exception is probably the Vorlons. I only speak of theory; I can't control the dice or the final result of the game, but I can only control my probability of winning. If I have a method of getting to a probable += or +- [chess notation] situation, I'll stop my analysis there. That's why I meant in the above stuff.

Also, a mea culpa -- did I just participate in a thread hijack? I think I did! We can (should?) talk Drakh Cruiser theory in another thread, and leave this to its subject -- new moulds!

It seems likely the the next wave of stuff will be Brakiri not Drakh, and some of it brand spankin' new -- let's see if this is from the new process that gave us the nicer new Z'Takk.

Dilgar -- Primary
Drakh -- Secondary
Early EA -- Tertiary
H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:06 pm

well, Matt did state in a post that he thought the drakh mo ship or carrier was next, which given how long the moship has been out of production seemed pretty fair. The Brakiri stuff is possible AOG moulds, I know the pitikos is, as i think os the Coroumi.
I AM RONIN!
Wulf Corbett
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Wulf Corbett » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:08 pm

hiffano wrote:well, Matt did state in a post that he thought the drakh mo ship or carrier was next, which given how long the moship has been out of production seemed pretty fair. The Brakiri stuff is possible AOG moulds, I know the pitikos is, as i think os the Coroumi.
Pikatos (Mongoose spelling) may not be AoG, as we have seen pics of a new master. Looks very much the same.

Wulf