Damn these things are tiny!

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Megatron
Stoat

Damn these things are tiny!

Postby Megatron » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:46 am

So I saw the mini's at my LGS today and I must say, there is no way those are anything bigger than 25mm. This surprised me because some of the promo pictures had lead me to believe they would be on the larger side of 28mm. I'm quite pleased with their size actually. It makes the iffy paint jobs better looking. my advice to mgp: stop making the minis look so big in the photos!
Decepticons! Prepare for conquest!
CudaHP
Banded Mongoose

Postby CudaHP » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:24 am

If you read the various threads you will see that those who have seen and measured the figs are pretty certain they are a "true" scale 28mm figure size.

Just quoting what has been said.
Court Jester
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Damn these things are tiny!

Postby Court Jester » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:33 am

Dr. Frank N. Furter wrote:I must say, there is no way those are anything bigger than 25mm.
:roll:

:wink:

They just aren't as out of proportion as other figure lines... :D
Mr Evil
Chief Mongoose

Postby Mr Evil » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:08 pm

Damn how many threads like this one exist !!!

can we try to keep posts like this all in the same threads rather than umpteen milion of them all saying the same thing, as all we are doing is answering them with the same answers and quoting from other posts in the same page, wich seems a bit of a waist of bandwidth for poor old mongoose.

you think these look small wait till you see the technicals ;) their true to scale and will shcok alot of people i think.
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/cygnarsghost.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>

http://splargoth.blogspot.com/
JoseDominguez
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby JoseDominguez » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:25 pm

To everyone who claims the scale is off:

Go outside, stand next to a car...... see how low it is? There ya go :)

Also remember, infantry are based, the vehicles aren't.
Old Bear
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old Bear » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:29 pm

Dr. Frank N. Furter wrote:So I saw the mini's at my LGS today and I must say, there is no way those are anything bigger than 25mm. This surprised me because some of the promo pictures had lead me to believe they would be on the larger side of 28mm. I'm quite pleased with their size actually. It makes the iffy paint jobs better looking. my advice to mgp: stop making the minis look so big in the photos!
It seems we can't win. When photos were taken from further away we were accused of trying to mask detail. Take them too close and we are blowing them out of all proportion. It's been said before, but without the base these guys stand around 28mm to the eye, except 'Big Arab', the MEA rifleman who is about 29mm and clearly has been eating all his Shredded Wheat.

We have spent literally hours on every vehicle assuring that the scales are accurate, and the plans we have are very thorough with dozens of measurements on each. With the Technicals I even stood next to my brother in law's Toyota Hilux and had my wife photograph it for size. I can confirm the roof of said vehicle comes up to my nose. :lol:
Old Bear

Ted Chang, don't you know. And I'm not a moderator any more so don't even think about moaning to me.
Rob_A
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rob_A » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:57 pm

But you are very very tall old bear :P

*joking*, well you are tall, but the minis are definately in proper scale.
dsfrankevo
Mongoose

Postby dsfrankevo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:04 pm

Mongoose Old Bear wrote: It seems we can't win. When photos were taken from further away we were accused of trying to mask detail. Take them too close and we are blowing them out of all proportion.
Back in the day, when I worked for GW - there was a very firm rule the you never publish a picture of a figure larger than real size

Smaller was ok- especially for group shots - but larger than real life just accentuates any flaws.

This is much easier said when dealing w/ print media than electronic photos

But a good rule if you can live by it
"You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity. Farewell!"
Buzz Lightyear

Turtle
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Turtle » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:08 pm

This is why I recommended doing this for photographs:

Shoot a shot at table distance, the average distance from a player's eyes to the tabletop. Then inset some closeup detail shots of the models into that photograph. This way neither the detail or distant shots can be posted apart from one another.
"I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. And I'd like to remind them that as a trusted TV personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves."
weasel_fierce
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby weasel_fierce » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:12 pm

play some stuff in 15 or 6 mm, and then come back. Mongoose's guys will look enormous by comparison :)

The figures are the size they are. Big enough that if you want, you can repaint them and get some nize detail, easy to tell apart, and small enough that you dont need a second house just to store them.
looking for a free set of gritty, realistic'ish scifi wargame rules ?
http://www.freewebs.com/weaselfierce
Old Bear
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old Bear » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:14 am

Rob_alderman wrote:But you are very very tall old bear :P

*joking*, well you are tall, but the minis are definately in proper scale.
True, but I had my brother-in-law add extra air to his tyres in a direct ratio to my height measured against the mean national average in order to maintain correct distance and proportionalty without inversely affecting the final resolution.*

*(Note: some or all of the above may be cobblers)
Old Bear

Ted Chang, don't you know. And I'm not a moderator any more so don't even think about moaning to me.
Mr Evil
Chief Mongoose

Postby Mr Evil » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:41 am

well i got some corgi marines scaled at 1:64 (in theory bigger than 1:65 mongoose) but there hitting from toes to top of head 25mm on average, not as well painted and made from bendy plastic.

so quit complaining could be alot worse lol.

still there good for playtestin, and il get some pics uplater once ive done some work :(

edit just measured the guy with support weapon and hes just touching the 28mm point !!
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/cygnarsghost.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>

http://splargoth.blogspot.com/