The Orieni Empire for ACTA and the B5 RPG?

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Nerroth
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Nerroth » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:56 am

demiurge wrote:
Another fun alternative would be the Orieni finding another religion to follow. Perhaps not all of the Ancient Ones actually left. Imagine if they became devotees of a Kirishiac Lord.... :)

Or even worse - the Thirdspace aliens/Hand!

Although, the main schism in belief systems I'd like to see develop in the Empire post-2261 is the distinctoin between those who cling to the Blessed's pro-VOrlon dogma (and subsequently are tied in to the deep related sense of loss and abandonment) and those who recognise the advent of a new era, and wish to steer the Orieni and their allies towards it.

It's good to see the Orieni get a lot of attention ,and I wish I had more time to answer some of the points raised about both the Empire and the ISA-era Minbari (look at the Minbari Federation RPG book for data on their fleet assets - they aren't as large as you might think...)

Although I did state that I would tone the Crusade down a little on both ends (they don't get as far past the Protectorate, but the ISA find it tough getting to Orien) and would make the post-coup Empire more open to interacton with the Alliance... and more active in Drakh-hunting!

One other thing - the map that the guys writing TGC were likely using is that in Rich Bax's Wars of the Centauri Republic, which includes more systems in both the Federation and Protectorate which lie 'east' of the Mongoose map, as well as jump routes we don't see in the latter. The use of these routes, as well as the Orieni seeding of new beacons, allow the Empire to reach systems like Trigati without following the longer routes seen in the Mongoose map.

And no-one got the o-r-i reference...

Gary
The above post is 100% unofficial.
Ulkesh
Banded Mongoose

Postby Ulkesh » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:08 pm

Personally, I also found the idea of the Orieni going against the Minbari a bit of a ... well, it just doesnt seem plausible for them doing so much damage. Still, I liked the stuff the guys put for the Great Crusade. Though, as I said in the other thread, that the Orieni Imperium would have a great setting after the ISA-Centauri war with the Orieni going against the Centauri once again.

Plus the dilema for the ISA in deciding who to support... the Centauri who they just had a war with or this strange race that believes in Order and peace. And while this is happening, the Drakh continue to try and cause mayhem which further destabilizes the regions.

I could well imagine the Orieni still worshipping the Vorlons in some shape or form so they themselves might be weary of interacting with races that chased their gods away. Also, the Orieni know of the Drakh who were one of the prime reasons the Orieni empire lost the war with the Centauri. But thats my personal thoughts. But all in all, I would love to see the Orieni back.

And yeah the Ori reference :P
Nerroth
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Nerroth » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:15 pm

'Hallowed are the Ori(eni?)' indeed!

Gary
frobisher
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby frobisher » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:11 am

Ulkesh wrote:Also, the Orieni know of the Drakh who were one of the prime reasons the Orieni empire lost the war with the Centauri.
Just knowing the Drakh are still alive would be reason enough for the Orieni to go after them - these are the guys who decimated the Drakh homeworld after they'd posed as Vorlons...
Paddy Sinclair

Us Yellowbeards are never more dangerous than when we're dead...
Ulkesh
Banded Mongoose

Postby Ulkesh » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:52 am

The galaxy would perhaps have been a very different place had the Orieni won the war... not sure if that would be a good thing or not :P since the Orieni were a lot more about control then self expansion which the Centauri were all about and they rarely had empire wide civil war that the Centauri did to get themselves into.

So say yes to Orieni Imperium sourcebook and miniatures people! :p
nitflegal
Mongoose

Postby nitflegal » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:33 pm

FWIW, the guys on the old B5 HRT who came up with the Orieni (wasn't it Rich and Graves?) came up with a pretty detailed description of the Orieni and where they had come from and were going. It was pretty impressively detailed, IIRC.

Matt
Ulkesh
Banded Mongoose

Postby Ulkesh » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:54 am

nitflegal wrote:FWIW, the guys on the old B5 HRT who came up with the Orieni (wasn't it Rich and Graves?) came up with a pretty detailed description of the Orieni and where they had come from and were going. It was pretty impressively detailed, IIRC.

Matt
I only have the Wars of the Centauri Republic one where a brief description is given on their government and biology and most of the history is very detailed. Is that the one you are talking about?
Locutus9956
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Locutus9956 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:21 pm

Nerroth wrote: And no-one got the o-r-i reference...
Oh I got the reference (and I daresay so did most people here) it just wasnt really coomment worthy ;)

Does make you wonder if the Stargate Folks played B5Wars.... (seriously though the Ori - talk about recycling old plots with a new name (nasty enemies that pretend to be gods with their stupidly advanced tech and fanatical followers that carry stafflike weapons......)
War. It's FAN-tastic!
nitflegal
Mongoose

Postby nitflegal » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:03 pm

Ulkesh wrote:
nitflegal wrote:FWIW, the guys on the old B5 HRT who came up with the Orieni (wasn't it Rich and Graves?) came up with a pretty detailed description of the Orieni and where they had come from and were going. It was pretty impressively detailed, IIRC.

Matt
I only have the Wars of the Centauri Republic one where a brief description is given on their government and biology and most of the history is very detailed. Is that the one you are talking about?
Nope, it was unpublished. They came up with an entire detailed background and OOB for them, probably about 25-30 pages worth. It was pretty impressively detailed and a lot of it was used to deteermine how the Centauri fleeet developed, so many of the results became part of the Centauri fleeet lists.

Matt
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:27 pm

That's an interesting thought - are we likely to see a minbari protectorate fleet at any point, do you suppose?
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
Nerroth
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Nerroth » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:30 am

Could be interesting in a revised TGC supplement!

It could include the 'new' Orieni fleet, along with the new Rogolons and Protectorate ships.

And a 'Great Centauri-Orieni War' book would be a good place to give us 21st century CE ships for the Orieni, Centauri, Drazi, Usuuth and Rogolons (and leave the door open to others, like the Abbai and Hyach).

So we could see either two substantial books for ACTA detailing the Orieni and their adversaries - or one really big book for both!

And, of course, there's a lot to get involved with when it comes to an RPG supplement...

Gary