Anyone else just bumming right now?

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
boomgoose
Mongoose

Anyone else just bumming right now?

Postby boomgoose » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:45 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm fired up about this game, but does anyone else feel we should have had at least the February previews up by now? Heck, even just one new vehicle or unit a week until the January release would be nice. I'm probably just being EXTREMELY impatient, but I need my fix!

Also, why the limited number of initial releases? I figured each army would have two troop types and two vehicles right off the bat for purchase, but just one unit and one tank? Heck, the MEA really gets shortchanged with just an infantry unit and no MBT until April. I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember most launches of new minis games having a few more offerings for purchase at the kickoff.

Eh, rant over. I'm still dieing for this game. Just want to see something new. Anybody else feeling blue? :wink:
Col_stone
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Col_stone » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:36 pm

hehe i feel the same way everytime i log on to the forum then i remember i checked 2-3 hours ago and i shouldn't be so impatient:D
Captain_Nemo
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Captain_Nemo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:41 pm

Ditto
I said,"Qapla! Baaaaby!"
Voracioustigger
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Voracioustigger » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:47 pm

IIRC AT-43 is coming out even sooner and I haven't found anything but one initial troop and 1 vehicle for 2 armies.

I think the reason that you feel a bit short changed is that usually games are released with 2 armies instead of 4, which accounts for slightly less variety. Don't worry though, you'll be getting new units every month for a long time, and by this time next year you'll have more units for each army than you know what to do with.
boomgoose
Mongoose

Postby boomgoose » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:40 am

Voracioustigger wrote: Don't worry though, you'll be getting new units every month for a long time, and by this time next year you'll have more units for each army than you know what to do with.
That sounds like a problem I won't mind having a'tall.

I also checked out AT-43 and you're right, very limited release of figures. Didn't get me at all, what with the chunky looking dreadnoughts and all :lol: .
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:00 am

Just out of interest, is the T55 and/or the T72 on the release schedule? If modern Western armies (and others) are going to encounter any sort of tank in the next 10-15 years it is likely to be the former and probably a variant of the latter :)
Paladin
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Paladin » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:32 am

I'm really curious to see how the Cobra and corresponding AA are going to interact.
Old Bear
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old Bear » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:06 am

Nice to see you guys are champing at the bit! Patience is a virtue, though, and remember we are in the process of doing something that's never been done before - pre-painted miniatures to a standard better than probably 80% of us can paint. This isn't the sort of project that just whizzes through. It can be all-too-easy to fail to reach a promised standard. We're investing an awful lot of effort to break new ground so rest assured, when we are happy, you'll see the results.
Old Bear

Ted Chang, don't you know. And I'm not a moderator any more so don't even think about moaning to me.
Rob_A
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rob_A » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:26 am

Be glad old bear is picky, it means we will be getting some amazing models when they ae released (and when I have money :cry: ).
Old Bear
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old Bear » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:29 am

Thanks, Rob. It's why the MEA Technical is now in Wave 2 not Wave 1. I wasn't happy and neither was Matthew and we weren't prepared to put out something we weren't 100% happy with.
Old Bear

Ted Chang, don't you know. And I'm not a moderator any more so don't even think about moaning to me.
Neo
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Neo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:41 pm

Subject threw me a bit as that word means something else entirely in the UK :D

I was almost afraid to read the topic.
Cpl. Mark "Neo" Howe MI68-94
http://www.neo73.plus.com/
MI Forward Reconnaissance, The Wolf Pack
Mongooses "Old Man" of Playtesting
completed playtests #130!
Gaming since 1980
brook
Banded Mongoose

Don't look now...

Postby brook » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:28 pm

Mongoose Old Bear wrote: remember we are in the process of doing something that's never been done before - pre-painted miniatures to a standard better than probably 80% of us can paint.
It appears that Rackham is about to beat you to those bragging rights.
CudaHP
Banded Mongoose

Postby CudaHP » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:52 pm

Actually not if the pre-release AT43 pics are any example. They look OK but not really anything all that special (personal opinion only). I am used to seeing much higher quality sculpts from Rackham.

If Mongoose holds the line stated on quality I hope to be very pleasantly surprised with BFE products.

Some have complained about the lack of weathering/ aging and use indicators on the Vehicles. Heh. heh, that is the easiest part of a paintjob, once you have a good basic paint job.

Oh well, guess we all just wait and see. :D :D :D
Lord David the Denied
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Lord David the Denied » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:54 pm

Bumming. One of those words that doesn't mean the same here as it does in the States... :wink:
boomgoose
Mongoose

Postby boomgoose » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:29 pm

Neo wrote:Subject threw me a bit as that word means something else entirely in the UK :D

I was almost afraid to read the topic.
I don't even want to know. :lol:
weasel_fierce
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby weasel_fierce » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:44 am

The AT43 mini's that have been shown at conventions are pro painted models, not the actual prepaints.

I'll still be getting some, but the rules, Im likely to pass on. From what I've seen of SST, this looks like a game that will actually be fun to play.

If not, I'll just get piles of the models and play Stargrunt II with modern day armies :)
looking for a free set of gritty, realistic'ish scifi wargame rules ?
http://www.freewebs.com/weaselfierce
Col. Hammer
Stoat

Postby Col. Hammer » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:10 am

I've tried to focus on other stuff lately and forget BF:evo as much as I can. That'll makes the waiting easier.

I'll be the first one on the line come the end of January when the first boxes (hopefully) hit the shelves, though. Or, not the first I guess, since my friend actually works in the store and he'll get his hands on the boxes even before they hit the shelves...

But thank god for Gears of War. That game has actually managed to switch my attenton away from BF:evo for awhile! Great game.
Flying is better than walking. Walking is better than running. Running is better than crawling. All of these, however, are better than extraction by a Med-Evac even if it is, technically, a form of flying.
Eisho
Mongoose

Postby Eisho » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:27 am

The AT43 mini's that have been shown at conventions are pro painted models, not the actual prepaints.
That's a bit naughty of them.

I've had a pretty busy month traveling and haven't given a lot of thought to gaming so I'm a bit closer to release day without realising it!! Now that it's on my mind though I'm keen to get my hands on the models and rules. One of my mates has seen the piccies and is very impressed and once he has some money he's going to buy into it (started a Dogs of War army for WHFB recently though and he's a post-grad student so money is a bit tight).

I want to get VaS as well so tons to look forward to.

Cheers,

Eisho
Ben2
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Ben2 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:33 am

Well I'll be taking the Seperatists out tomorrow and seeing if general grevious can finally pull off a win against the Republic and their AT uber tank of not dying until turn 5 no matter how much fire you pour into it. At least everyone is unlucky with their Jedi deflect rolls.
But to avoid being too much of a jammy git I will take pictures and post a batrep on the site next week.
Last edited by Ben2 on Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old B5W developer and professional shut in.
Col. Hammer
Stoat

Postby Col. Hammer » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:45 am

Oh, I would be so glad to play Star Wars game with evo rules! Damn Lucas for giving the lisence to some stupid collectable stuff only. Mongoose would be so much better place to use the licence...

Oh, well. I guess we'll just have to settle for BF and SST...
Flying is better than walking. Walking is better than running. Running is better than crawling. All of these, however, are better than extraction by a Med-Evac even if it is, technically, a form of flying.