Morale in BF: Evo

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
xeoran
Banded Mongoose

Postby xeoran » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:56 pm

brook wrote:
Kristovich wrote:Yeah, you Yanks got all the glory (no offense)....
The Brits and Canadians got almost no notice later. Truth is, while US Airborne only took one of their objectives at the night to the 6th of June, the British Airborne took all objectives.

I did not intend to offend anyone with this post.
No offense taken... there is a reason that Hollywood is in the U.S.
The Brits and Canadians are great. No arguments.
The Brits get noticed...I'm not too sure about the Canadians.
They do. Not as much attention as for British and American forces but they are mentioned. But same goes for Aussies, Phillipinos, S. Africans, Burmese, Chinese etc....
Reborn
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Reborn » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:12 pm

Calm down guys, people on both sides of the argument will be satisfied with the new rules pertaining, I promise.
brook
Banded Mongoose

Postby brook » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:16 pm

Reborn wrote:Calm down guys, people on both sides of the argument will be satisfied with the new rules pertaining, I promise.
Sorry, If this sounded heated. I didn't think it was heated at all.
:oops:
Reborn
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Reborn » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:21 pm

I don't know why I told anyone to calm down. I must have been typing with my brain turned off. I do that a lot.
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:28 pm

Let's blame it on Xeoran. ;)
ImageImage
Thanks Veon and ScipioAmericanus!
www.zupandevelopment.com
Reborn
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Reborn » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:29 pm

Fine by me! :lol:
Bede
Mongoose

Postby Bede » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:32 pm

I wouldn't say it's too abstract. As it is you remove models from the table that are casualites whether they are wounded or dead. There's an abstraction there. The only thing that matters for game purposes is whether they can play a role in the game anymore.

My only point was that the explanation given for why there are no morale rules in SST is in my opinion a poor one as far as reality is concerned.

brook wrote:
Bede wrote: Instead, Mongoose chose to explain it as "there's no need for morale because these guys are too desperate". IMHO, that's not a very credible explanation in the real world.
If Mongoose rewrote the rules explanation to include elimination for reason of morale breaks, how would you effective would you judge the morale system. Would it be acceptable or too abstract?
xeoran
Banded Mongoose

Postby xeoran » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:06 pm

Hiromoon wrote:Let's blame it on Xeoran. ;)
Arrrhk! Not me! :shock:

I'm strictly WW2 and not Morale.... :wink:
jbuckmaster
Stoat

Postby jbuckmaster » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:31 pm

Hiromoon wrote:Canada-who?
We get that a lot. Often when getting shot at by "allies." ;)

But seriously, Canada has made huge contributions in many conflicts and is continually overlooked in almost all minis games (and in many other places, but here is not the place). It would be a shame if we can't use JTF2 or the new Airborne Regiment being created in Battlefield EVO. Our contributions didn't end with WWII...

-John
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:33 pm

Ohhhh....you mean the attic... ;)

And you're right.....you guys helped inspire the Styker with your 8x8 LAV.
ImageImage
Thanks Veon and ScipioAmericanus!
www.zupandevelopment.com
roughneck GIR
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: to close to the canadian-american border for comfort(literally)

Postby roughneck GIR » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:40 pm

Hiromoon wrote:There's an entire series of books talking about notable german soldiers, tank commanders, and pilots. I read one story of a soldier who led his men in defense of the Berlin pocket. He was wounded and was evacuated (with a good portion of his command) back towards the American and British forces.
Ever read about the " Desert Fox", now that was a cool nazi :wink: (and I am definatly not a nazi follower, canada's way to cool for me)

Oh and watch it, our military is *everywhere*, even in Iraq fighting Bush's damn war :evil: , we're the leading peacekeeper forces :) , though it brings me pain how much we are left out of... even kicked in some tv shows, like heres an example, that tv show Team Galaxy(or something along those lines and is an american show) in the first episode the bad guy said and I'll quote it exactly as he says it: "Hahahahaha Cold? I'm canadian, all canadians are immune to the blistering cold! I will freeze everyone here in america and let them live in igloos, just like I had to before I got rich!" :x , but anyways back on topic :wink:
Last edited by roughneck GIR on Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wohoo! I'm a non-com. Wait a second, this isn't marathon, who redirected me??!?
jbuckmaster
Stoat

Postby jbuckmaster » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:50 pm

Hiromoon wrote:Ohhhh....you mean the attic... ;)

And you're right.....you guys helped inspire the Styker with your 8x8 LAV.
That's why the CF bought 60 of them and will be getting more. They're mounting105mm Tank guns on them and using them to replace our old Leopard C2s (They keep winning wargames with those and I want to know how) . The Coyote Recon vehicle is based on the same Chassis and kicks a lot of butt. But, back to the Morale topic, on the whole, the Canadian Forces pull way above their own weight and tend to be put into situations where they should have failed or broken and they don't. It's just "not Canadian" to do so. ;)

-John
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:10 pm

Canadians with their beady little eyes and flapping heads.... :wink:

A good film to watch which shows the Germans in a more human light is "Stalingrad" a German WW2 movie from the 90s.
Get the subtitled version though, the dubbing spoils it.

I hope B:Evo has decent morale rules. The lack of morale is for me, the only real downside to SST. I guess its because Andy Chambers having worked for GW had no past experience of morale rules! :lol:
Into the Fire: 4th place
Wheel of Fire: 9th place
Gaelcon 2006: 2nd place
xeoran
Banded Mongoose

Postby xeoran » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:57 pm

emperorpenguin wrote:A good film to watch which shows the Germans in a more human light is "Stalingrad" a German WW2 movie from the 90s.
Get the subtitled version though, the dubbing spoils it.
Meh, awful film. Not really in 'grad at all. Plus they bash themselves all the time and ignore Russkie atrocities. It's OK but Das Boot is far better for seeing Germans in a human light.

And keep fighting Canadians- the third biggest navy at the end of WW2, in Afghanistan and generally nice people. Go the Regina Rifles! :D
CudaHP
Banded Mongoose

Postby CudaHP » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:21 am

Besides, Canada would make a really cool (heh,heh) Fifty first state for the North American Federation.

Besides an awful lot of the really top people on Television and in the movies were born in Canada.
Canada had the most advanced fighter plane in the world when the then Canadian Prime Minister helped engineer Avro's destruction for his own political reasons.

Wasn't that called the Avro Arrow or something? Something like 50,00 jobs lost in the Aerospace industry in Canada in less than two months.

Most of the top people went to work for NASA or the Aero Space indsustry in California and Washington states.

Yeah Canada has had a lot of impact in modern technology, even if it involved driving away some of their more creative individuals. Not the people of Canada the government caused those problems at that time.

Dan Ackroyd starred in the mini-series about the Avro Arrow.

Not sure how accurate the movie was but quite well done.
Aniyn
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Aniyn » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:12 am

Canada's combat engineers are some of the best in the world, if anything canadian should get a spot in BF:Evo, it's them.
Lorcan Nagle
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Lorcan Nagle » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:47 am

If people are looking for positive protrayals of German soldiers, British war comics often had stories with "noble Nazis" or even stories entirely from the Nazi point of view. The stories were surprisingly sophisticated considering the target audience and the surviving jongoistic attitude towards the war. Battle was especially good for this.
cOwgummi
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby cOwgummi » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:39 am

As i don't want to comment on the topic of nazis in the wehrmacht right now (because i'm not very concentrated and don't want want to get political right now...) i'll just say to that that das boot and stalingrad both are good movies, with the first being absolutely great.

on thew topic of canadians...i only know that they get killed en masse like they don't know what cover means, but don't ever break morally in my spanish civil war games in steel panthers world at war :wink:

but now on the topic of morale:
morale on a WW2 or modern battlefield is more than "fight, or run away" theres that little something called surpression. if bullets start flying around you, mg fire hammers against your cover and your buddy who tried to shoot at the enemy gets part of his head blown off most people tend to duck and cover, no matter what.
Of cause you'll think twice about it if you have a comissar sitting behind you, with an maxim in front of him...but anyways i think a modern or WW2 game without surpression isn't really complete.

in SST I think the lack of supression is ok. the MI wears thick armor and jumps around all the time, if you train them intense enough it'll probably be possible to make sure they don't freeze on the spot if under enemy fire.
In the beginning, God created the rock.
And God said to the rock:
"Let you be Infantry"
and the rock replied:
"Alas, I cannot, for I am not hard enough."
Poko
Banded Mongoose

Postby Poko » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:00 am

oh, i have an idea :lol: :wink:
-add a "bodycount" value-if the unit loses number of hits/models equal/greater than the value the unit counts as out of command for the next turn of the controlling player, or maybe the only action they can take is "ready", or even move towards the closest cover .
"Freedom is nothing but justification for the vile and the stupid. when they speak of freedom,they think not of other people's freedom,but their own slavery"
Anton Gorodecki,Mage of the Moscov NighWatch.