Rackham AT-43 shipping quality pic's

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Bughunt
Mongoose

Postby Bughunt » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:41 am

I like the over all look of the minis for both armies. Although, I'm not a big fan of the poses on them. The humans are doing the half crouch, half run pose that was over done in the early 90's... and the aliens look like they're hanging around the water cooler.

The paint isn't great but even when you're standing over the best painted minis in the world on a table top... you really don't see a whole hell of a lot of detail while you're moving them around.

The thing I'm most interested in are the rules. I find Rackham tends to put a little too much detail into their games. Makes for a steeper learning curve than most. Too much calculating of numbers. Which is why I never picked up Confrontation, sucks the fun out of a game. It will be interesting to see if At-43 is more of the same...
Eisho
Mongoose

Postby Eisho » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:55 am

If these will go for the same price as unpainted minis then I think they are okay. Weapons especially look a bit flat to me. I do agree with previous posts though that the pictures released by Mongoose look a lot better.

Whether or not GW is shaking in its boots or not, I don't know.

Eisho
dyssnowman
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby dyssnowman » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:07 am

I read a simple demo report from GenCon on their forum (featured two combat striders on each side) and it is definitely more complicated than SST. Some interesting aspects. For example, it is possible to potentially shoot much further with even just a standard rifle then in most games.

As for the miniatures, the painting is not too bad really. I also enhanced the photo and magnified it and there is more detail there than you can see in the basic picture. Is it better than what MGP has shown us so far for SSTE? No. It is not bad, but not as good. In addition, the AT-43 minis are currently going to be a soft plastic, unlike the SSTE minis.
"If life was easy, would it be worth living?"
Mr Evil
Chief Mongoose

Postby Mr Evil » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:30 am

they look beter than some of the figs people turn up with at some of the gw tournaments ive been to lol
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/cygnarsghost.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>

http://splargoth.blogspot.com/
Ben2
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Well

Postby Ben2 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:32 pm

The initial pics Rackham released were studio paints, but nowhere in the press release did it say this. I know Matt looked at these and was influenced thinking that this was the standard of the competition.

But then the production pics were released (and the ones on the link are good examples of the production pics, some of the production pics I've seen really suck).

The Therian/Dirz (lets face it they are space Dirz, which isn't necessarily a bad thing) are ok sculpts but lack a certain something, and the production paint job doesn't make it better.

The humans are good sculpts, but again are let down by the production paint jobs and the flesh plus ink wash approach.

I think these are still hand painted in Chinese sweatshops, whereas that isn't the process MGP pre-paints are following.

Ben
Old B5W developer and professional shut in.
Rob_A
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rob_A » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:05 pm

Actually, whilst doing work exp. at MGP, Old Bear read about AT-43 on the internet, and said what the HELL is this!? (Maybe a bit harsher language :P) This was while BF:Evo was being tested, so not that long ago. I think Matt just came off lucky, and wanted to do this in the first place.
andrewgpaul
Banded Mongoose

Re: Well

Postby andrewgpaul » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:22 pm

Ben2 wrote: I think these are still hand painted in Chinese sweatshops, whereas that isn't the process MGP pre-paints are following.

Ben
Pretty sure the AT-43 stuff is machine-painted, too.

I'm really liking those minis, actually. The heads remind me of the baby squid thing from Men in Black :)