Why did you get into SST game?

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.

Why do you play?

I like Starship Troopers
47
85%
I like the miniatures
8
15%
 
Total votes: 55
Scenv
Weasel
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:49 am

Why did you get into SST game?

Postby Scenv » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:47 pm

I play because i like starship troopers, the book, and the FIRST movie.

like starship troopers- 10
like the miniatures- 1

just a thought...
Lieutenant Rasczak
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3404
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:07 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK

Postby Lieutenant Rasczak » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:48 pm

I initially looked into the game because of my love of all things SST.

Now I adore the miniatures too, I must say!
S.I.C.O.N Command THE Place for SST Fans!
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/sicon/index.php?mforum=sicon
Image
Scotty59
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:08 pm

Postby Scotty59 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:50 pm

Both, actually. I saw the miniatures on The Miniatures Page, and I especially liked the Warrior Bugs.
"And if a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off." -H. Simpson
Scenv
Weasel
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:49 am

Postby Scenv » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:51 pm

Lieutenant Rasczak wrote:
Now I adore the miniatures too, I must say!
cool, to me the miniatures are...poor quality, from what i have seen so far. compared to privateer press, GW, Reaper, Artizan. i just like how mongoose actually made a game based on a great book.
Lieutenant Rasczak
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3404
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:07 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK

Postby Lieutenant Rasczak » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:54 pm

They are quirky though, I like quirky.

You have have the best sculpted and produced miniatures in the world, but if they lack character they can end up being so very sterile - they just aren't 'fun' if you kwim.
S.I.C.O.N Command THE Place for SST Fans!
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/sicon/index.php?mforum=sicon
Image
Scenv
Weasel
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:49 am

Postby Scenv » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:57 pm

Scotty59 wrote:Both, actually. I saw the miniatures on The Miniatures Page, and I especially liked the Warrior Bugs.
thats great for you! id wish i could tolerate the models more so i enjoy more of the game... but seriously i cant stand with the poor quality, with the melted metal parts from my pathefinders, and the faces on the MI which i have to cover up with the painted visors.
Lieutenant Rasczak
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3404
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:07 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK

Postby Lieutenant Rasczak » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:58 pm

Scenv wrote:
Scotty59 wrote:Both, actually. I saw the miniatures on The Miniatures Page, and I especially liked the Warrior Bugs.
thats great for you! id wish i could tolerate the models more so i enjoy more of the game... but seriously i cant stand with the poor quality, with the melted metal parts from my pathefinders, and the faces on the MI which i have to cover up with the painted visors.

Whats wrong with the faces on the MI, or is it because they aren't severly exaggerated like a lot of EE ones?
S.I.C.O.N Command THE Place for SST Fans!
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/sicon/index.php?mforum=sicon
Image
Scenv
Weasel
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:49 am

Postby Scenv » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:01 pm

Lieutenant Rasczak wrote:They are quirky though, I like quirky.

You have have the best sculpted and produced miniatures in the world, but if they lack character they can end up being so very sterile - they just aren't 'fun' if you kwim.
yeah i agree, but dont you wish somtimes the models would look better? it will give so much more to the game and mongoose.

the faces looks awkward. im sure you have seen better faces on miniatures, and thats my point. they could be much better.
Lieutenant Rasczak
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3404
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:07 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK

Postby Lieutenant Rasczak » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:15 pm

Scenv wrote:
Lieutenant Rasczak wrote:They are quirky though, I like quirky.

You have have the best sculpted and produced miniatures in the world, but if they lack character they can end up being so very sterile - they just aren't 'fun' if you kwim.
yeah i agree, but dont you wish somtimes the models would look better? it will give so much more to the game and mongoose.

the faces looks awkward. im sure you have seen better faces on miniatures, and thats my point. they could be much better.
Better in what way?

I know the trend these days is to exaggerate the weapons and hands etc, i personally prefer them to be a little more realistically scaled.

Clarify? I need more information about what you mean specifically.
S.I.C.O.N Command THE Place for SST Fans!
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/sicon/index.php?mforum=sicon
Image
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2400
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: Ireland.

Postby Mage » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:52 pm

Personally I think mongose are doing god for a copmany that only recently started doing miniatures. PP and GW have brought out gammy stuff in the past too. Some of the rogue trader models were a bit cack, though I liked some. Same goes for those PP Khador Winter guard (their arms are ... best not discussed) as well as some of their early warcasters. And bonejacks just look dopey. Not taking a shot at them though, I like noth.

But EE deos over exaggerate. In the grim darkness of the far future, their are only in bread Uglies. The arms are ridiculously exaggerated, the Cadians look somewaht like neandethals.

As for the MI faces, If you dont like them, thats fine. I assume you are talking about plastic ones. How do you find the metals ones (veterans and female troopers).?

I like their faces, I mean, if you look at most US soldiers, from about twenty fet away they look the same because of the whole shaved head thing and helmets, unless their are major differences in skin colour.

They are not too detaild, and in my humble opinion, have character. The Cadian sergeant head, imo, is not so hot, copmared to the plastic cap dudes, nor are some of the space marines bear heads, with all those manky cybernetics.
ScipioAmericanus
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1463
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 3:26 am

Postby ScipioAmericanus » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:20 pm

It was only natural for me: I love the novel.

I discovered it in c. 1971 when my parents and I were driving up to Scotland. We stopped at a small hotel, and it had a book rack in the lobby. Starship Troopers caught my eye, and I used all my money to buy the paperback. I couldn't put it down for the rest of the trip, and I was hooked from that point. All those years later, I can still see the cover.

I think, somehow, the book figured into my career decision. I never made a jump that I didn't think about the MI...particularly when doing HALO jumps. More than a few times in free fall I thought about Rico "stretching and getting the kinks out" as he fell towards the Skinnie planet.

Jumping over Arizona, you can see the lights of LA at altitude. I always thought that would make a great part of a movie: the Roughnecks descending into the lights of a city.

I guess you could say that the book resonates with me. That's why I was so disappointed with the movie.

Still, MGP have done a stellar job of integrating the book, the movie, and the CGI series.

There was really no choice for me: a mini game for SST? I chomped on it like a Bass hitting a spinnerbait! :lol:
Image
Reborn
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2005
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:32 pm
Location: Selly Oak, Birmingham
Contact:

Postby Reborn » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:55 pm

For me, I love the film and the setting in general. The minis are great, I've since got into the series, the RPG, and the computer game. I just love all things SST :D

Just gotta get my hands on a copy of the book :x
ScipioAmericanus
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1463
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 3:26 am

Postby ScipioAmericanus » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:59 pm

Reborn wrote: Just gotta get my hands on a copy of the book :x
Go to amazon.com!
Image
Lieutenant Rasczak
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3404
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:07 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK

Postby Lieutenant Rasczak » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:13 am

Reborn wrote:For me, I love the film and the setting in general. The minis are great, I've since got into the series, the RPG, and the computer game. I just love all things SST :D

Just gotta get my hands on a copy of the book :x


I have a 'dodgey' Film cover version that I read normally - as I don't mind if it gets ruined Lol.

My first copy of SST was given to me by my Uncle Joe (sadly he is no longer with us) when I was 9 (in 1971 - OMG I'm old).

It went missing when I moved out of my folks, and recently I managed to get the EXACT same edition off Ebay for a song -

Image

So keep looking and you shall find! I wouldn't use Amazon as they get REALLY expensive sometimes.

The Cheapest on Amazon seems to be around £6+ mark, I just found this one on Ebay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Starship-Troopers ... dZViewItem
For £4.99
S.I.C.O.N Command THE Place for SST Fans!
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/sicon/index.php?mforum=sicon
Image
ScipioAmericanus
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1463
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 3:26 am

Postby ScipioAmericanus » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:18 am

THAT'S IT!!!!! THAT'S THE COVER OF THE BOOK I GOT IN SCOTLAND!!!!!

Bless you, LT!!!

Thanks so much for posting that!
Image
jonkills
Weasel
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: brechin (scotland)

Postby jonkills » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:54 am

becaus egameworkshop are a bunch of gays
gamer tag jonkills add me.
Scenv
Weasel
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:49 am

Postby Scenv » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:30 am

well yes they are realistically scaled, and i like that part too, but when i got the MI box, the faces did not look good at all.

they all look the same for one, no different features at all. GW for instance at least have a few different features for each model. from the faces on the cadians to the helmets on the space marine.

there are only 2 different head sculps out of 8 models in the MI box, and that is pretty sad.
Lieutenant Rasczak
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3404
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:07 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK

Postby Lieutenant Rasczak » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:35 am

ScipioAmericanus wrote:THAT'S IT!!!!! THAT'S THE COVER OF THE BOOK I GOT IN SCOTLAND!!!!!

Bless you, LT!!!

Thanks so much for posting that!

Superb! It was my prized possession (I loved my Uncle Joe), its not the same as having the original - but close.
S.I.C.O.N Command THE Place for SST Fans!
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/sicon/index.php?mforum=sicon
Image
Lieutenant Rasczak
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3404
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:07 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK

Postby Lieutenant Rasczak » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:36 am

jonkills wrote:becaus egameworkshop are a bunch of gays
PMSL!

:D
S.I.C.O.N Command THE Place for SST Fans!
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/sicon/index.php?mforum=sicon
Image
Lieutenant Rasczak
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3404
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:07 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK

Postby Lieutenant Rasczak » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:37 am

Scenv wrote:well yes they are realistically scaled, and i like that part too, but when i got the MI box, the faces did not look good at all.

they all look the same for one, no different features at all. GW for instance at least have a few different features for each model. from the faces on the cadians to the helmets on the space marine.

there are only 2 different head sculps out of 8 models in the MI box, and that is pretty sad.
I REALLY don't see that as an issue, either you add character (by the way you do eyes) or skin tone - when you paint them if you kwim.

I think people are WAY to reliant on the models rather than their skills as a painter/modeller.
S.I.C.O.N Command THE Place for SST Fans!
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/sicon/index.php?mforum=sicon
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests