The effect of critical hits

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.

How much do you feel crtical hits affect a game

Too much. They make the game a lottery
22%
About right. They add spice.
78%
Too little. You might as well play chess.
No votes

Total votes: 63
Keith
Mongoose

The effect of critical hits

Postby Keith » Mon May 22, 2006 10:49 pm

The effects on the game of critcals came up in one of the other threads. I thought it would be interesting to get a wider set of opinions.
Hash
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hash » Mon May 22, 2006 11:17 pm

Crits are fine - they make precise weapons exciting!
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum. "
JayRaider
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby JayRaider » Mon May 22, 2006 11:40 pm

Criticals are fine, i like the way they work and wouldn't like any changes
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Tue May 23, 2006 12:59 am

About right.

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
prelude_to_war
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby prelude_to_war » Tue May 23, 2006 1:31 am

One of the better parts of the game.
Dennbok
Mongoose

Postby Dennbok » Tue May 23, 2006 2:27 am

I think there about right - although a friend has violently disagreed after a recent game where luck turned against him - but I don't think there's much to be done about governing luck.
Dag'Nabbit
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dag'Nabbit » Tue May 23, 2006 3:17 am

I think that they are about right, but that they happen way too often. I would prefer to see them limited in frequency with Precise weapons getting more as normal.

EDIT: I tend to have lucky dice. This means that I get lots of crits usually, but that my normal opponents don't want to play as much. :( Aside from this fact a standard weapon should not have a 1/6 chance of scoring significant critical damage.
Yummmmm.....Flan! It's really just styrofoam. Tasty styrofoam, like twinkies, but somehow better for you.
Geekybiker
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Geekybiker » Tue May 23, 2006 4:06 am

Ive just played way too many games (nearly all of them in fact) that criticals were the single largest determining factor in who won.

Of course part of that may be that my opponets always seems to roll 5-6 on the severity no matter what chart they roll.

I like the IDEA of crits. I just think they should happen about half as often, at least on ships that are near full health.
Chernobyl
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Chernobyl » Tue May 23, 2006 4:26 am

I think they're about right as far as effects go. theres a good mix of really nasty ones and a few 'eh who cares' ones...of course It would be nice to introduce a critical system for the ancients to give us mere mortals a fighting chance, but we'll see.

I think they ought to be a little tougher to get on tougher ships though.
Previously I advocated a different crit system...you had to make a second roll based on the hull of the ship. So criticals on hull 6 ships would be harder to get on hull 4 ships (representing more advanced technology, more redundant systems, or simply a better design)

Chern
www.epicarmycard.com
For ACTA and E:A resources

Morgoth
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Morgoth » Tue May 23, 2006 8:17 am

criticals can definitely change the turn of play and really effect ships capabilities however there also criticals which don't effect ships too badly either. I would say they turn up maybe just a little too much though - especially if you are using precise weapons - 1 in 3 chance of criticals - a little high in my opinion, but I enjoy the game too much and so am happy to continue as it is without grumbling to any degree
The book of G'Quan guides as we take back our homeworld

Wulf Corbett
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Wulf Corbett » Tue May 23, 2006 8:27 am

People get too hung up on the word 'critical' It's just a damage table. The game would run just as well if we rolled EVERY hit on that table.

Wulf
TenaciousB
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby TenaciousB » Tue May 23, 2006 9:32 am

I think they're fine.

The thing I like about this game is the fact that one minute your luck has disappeared to the bar to get itself a drink, then next thing, its back and things don't seem so bad anymore.
an internet scifi serial from Northern Ireland
Visit The Screaming Room!
BAWTRM
Weasel

Postby BAWTRM » Tue May 23, 2006 9:58 am

I think they're alright. People need to realise that things like spaceships are constructed in such a way that they don't really have any 'dead space'. Every cubic meter is assigned to something.

Once you start blasting holes in that kind of construction it's almost impossible not to hit anything critical. I'd say that 1 in 5 hits hitting armour (which is then slagged of/blown to bits) and non-critical parts/areas is very generous already.
Chernobyl
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Chernobyl » Tue May 23, 2006 7:44 pm

just remember...Science Fiction

:lol:
www.epicarmycard.com
For ACTA and E:A resources

Triggy
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Triggy » Tue May 23, 2006 9:07 pm

Yes they are a source of more "luck" in the game but I also think that this is a good thing. You can't bank on a ship definitely being able to fire or move after being attacked so if it's important to get its action done (e.g. opening a jump point and you need to stop the only enemy ship that can fire on it even though it can't cause enough damage to reduce it to zero crew/damage) then you have even more reason to prioritise. It also forces you to adapt your tactics to new and changing situations rather than playing an entirely predictable game!

So what if you lose one game in ten due to "lucky criticals"...that's part of the fun not knowing when this will happen!
"Sir, the enemy have us completely surrounded."
"Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

ACtA Playtester

Triggy's Fantasy Formula 1
animus
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby animus » Tue May 23, 2006 9:10 pm

The Bismark was taken out by a "lucky critical hit". It's all good. A great equalizer.
TO: People of Earth
SUBJECT: Stop

knock it off, all of you
seriously, what the hell
---God
Cailet
Banded Mongoose

Postby Cailet » Tue May 23, 2006 11:57 pm

I think you mean the Hood. The Bismark got a no turning crit I guess...

I think they occasionally overpower the game (glares at Precise opponents) but they are definitely a good thing.
Official Fat Cat stealer of books (I do mean to give them back, honest!)
Dag'Nabbit
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dag'Nabbit » Wed May 24, 2006 12:40 am

I agree, they are a good thing. I don't like that the severe crits are as common as the not-so-severe crits. Maybe put the crit table up to a 2d6 chart, to provide some sort of rarity for vital system crits and the really ugly crits on each chart.
Yummmmm.....Flan! It's really just styrofoam. Tasty styrofoam, like twinkies, but somehow better for you.
Ponkavitch
Cub

Postby Ponkavitch » Wed May 24, 2006 4:30 am

I have found that most games come down to who is luckier with their crits. Not so much who gets more but who gets the better ones.
As Dennbok mention I have nearly given up on the game entirely due almost exclusively to criticals.
My problems with them are;
1 the likelihood. 1/6 (or 1/3)
2 the spread. (I.e the same chance of -1spd as No more weapons)
3. the difficulty to repair. Specifically having to repair in reverse order received.
4. the “all or nothing” of the results (I.e in raid level and above the damage results (including 65 and 66) and nothings while 16,26,36,46,61 all make a ship nearly useless)

I am currently working on my own crits table that uses a D10 (tens/category) and a D6 (units/result).
So basically it has 1-4 hull, 5-7 engines, 8-9 reactor, 10 critical systems. This should create a better spread with the nasty results happening less.

I should have it ready by tomorrow.

-Ponkavitch
TBA (when I have somthing funny to say)
animus
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby animus » Wed May 24, 2006 4:54 am

I think ACTA limits itself too much to the D6.

Yes, post your critical table. However, I'd recommend a 2-12 over a 1-10 to make a bell curve. Otherwise there's still an equal chance of "total meltdown" as "nothing important."

Is it too late to include such a "curved" crit correction in Armageddon?
TO: People of Earth
SUBJECT: Stop

knock it off, all of you
seriously, what the hell
---God