Favourite EA Ship

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.

What's your favourite EA ship?

Omega Destroyer
26%
Warlock Advanced Destroyer
23%
Chronos Frigate
8%
Hyperion Heavy Cruiser
15%
Olympus Corvette
6%
Nova Dreadnought
11%
Posseidon Supercarrier
5%
Other (say what and why :P)
8%

Total votes: 66
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:25 pm

Poseidon, they just look imposing.

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
kinsha
Stoat

Postby kinsha » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:18 am

Delphi.

I like the way it looks. The omega is my next favorite.
CZuschlag
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby CZuschlag » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:04 am

Delphi.

A brainless initiative sink, as it doesn't have to be anywhere in particular, as well as the nastiest scout in the game. In Battle+ fleet battles, its "weapon reroll booster" function is vile -- who said anything about getting within 24"? In campaigns, its a survivor due to it total lack of need to be near the fight, so it'll almost always get 1 XP for losing a fight; so rerolls in campaign battles for firepower boosting past turn 2 are common. Stealth is just cake icing. Yummy icing. Large enough to be able to take a shot or two, if need be. Usually represented by a harmless-looking "Fleet Action" scale mini, to encourage opponents to forget about it completely....

As far as pretty goes ... I think the explosions of my opponents' ships are pretty, but I normally fly Dilgar so you'd expect that mindset, neh?
"Not everything that can be counted counts; and not everything that counts can be counted." -- George Gallup

Dilgar -- Primary
Drakh -- Secondary
Early EA -- Tertiary
Locutus9956
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Locutus9956 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:58 am

Im not entirely convinced of the 'Uselessness' of the Posseidon over two Avengers, sure they can get their fighters out there faster but the posseidon CAN soak up an awful lot of damage and let us not forget that an EA fleet with a posseidon is effectively on Minbari initiative..... (command +3) which can be the differenece between getting that Warlock boresighted or not.... (though of course its a tough choice, cos for that same war point you could of course have a second Warlock and I'd be more tempted by that anyway... or 3 Chronos. or 2 Omegas.... Ok so I cant think of many occassionas Id actually take a posseidon but I would certainly consider takeing it over 2 Avengers (I just wouldnt take them often either :P))

As to the Delphi its even MORE survivable than you might think. Due to the fact that its quite fast and can stay well out of the fight its generally quite a detour to go after it and if you DO decide to then youre up against Sharlin level stealth so theres a damn good chance you will waste said fire anyway, AND even if you DO beat stealth its got 2 interceptors, hull 5 and a respectable amount of hits. Given the choice between that and a target youre guarenteed to hit a few times at least thats closer to your fleet and thats putting out actual damage, most people I know will simply ingore the Delphi (they take shots of oppertunity but they certainly dont 'go after it'). And let me tell you a bunch of Chronos with their railguns redirected by the delphi REALLY hurt (not to mention the sheer nastiness of redirecting the heavy particle cannon on a warlock.....)
War. It's FAN-tastic!
Chernobyl
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Chernobyl » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:36 pm

it should never be the difference in getting your warlock/hyperion/omega boresighted...it should be the difference in getting the target you want boresighted.
as far as being a damage sink, it by itself isn't a very offensive ship, almost to the point of "well I can ignore it fora couple turns as there are other things shooting back at me..."
www.epicarmycard.com
For ACTA and E:A resources

WickedE
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby WickedE » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:50 pm

Hyperion. There's just so many, and it's so versatile....
And it's so pretty when painted Sand-Tan rather than White.
The Minbari think they're superior. that because they've been touched by Vorlons, they've the right to interfere in our affairs!
Today we tell them the Lion of the Galaxy is not dead, and shall tear them apart if they oppose us!
Dag'Nabbit
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dag'Nabbit » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:06 pm

Desert camo in space?
Yummmmm.....Flan! It's really just styrofoam. Tasty styrofoam, like twinkies, but somehow better for you.
prelude_to_war
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby prelude_to_war » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:32 pm

Why not?!? The Narn have camo afterall...
Mr. Neutron
Weasel

Postby Mr. Neutron » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:59 pm

Had to go with the Omega. It may turn like a cow, but it kicks like a mule.
Tibour
Mongoose

Postby Tibour » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:06 pm

I also went with the Omega. Big guns and lots of fighters.
"We travel the distant road,
From begining to end,
Forgetting where we're going,
Or even been,"
Dag'Nabbit
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dag'Nabbit » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:42 pm

prelude_to_war wrote:Why not?!? The Narn have camo afterall...
Camouflage is supposed to make something harder to notice. It should not function like neon lights that say "Hey! I'm right over here. Come on...shoot me!"
Yummmmm.....Flan! It's really just styrofoam. Tasty styrofoam, like twinkies, but somehow better for you.
prelude_to_war
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby prelude_to_war » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:17 pm

Back in WWII the navy experimented with geometric camo - loud and obnoxious. It served to confuse german U-boat commanders as to what type of ship they were looking at (I forget what that camo was called).

Anyway, why then do the Narn have such a loud camo paint scheme?
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:33 pm

prelude_to_war wrote:Anyway, why then do the Narn have such a loud camo paint scheme?
Who ever said it was for camouflage purposes?

The Narn have never really been into the whole, hiding thing.

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
Lorcan Nagle
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Lorcan Nagle » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:42 pm

prelude_to_war wrote:Back in WWII the navy experimented with geometric camo - loud and obnoxious. It served to confuse german U-boat commanders as to what type of ship they were looking at (I forget what that camo was called).
I think it was Razzle-Dazzle
prelude_to_war
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby prelude_to_war » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:16 am

lastbesthope wrote:
prelude_to_war wrote:Anyway, why then do the Narn have such a loud camo paint scheme?
Who ever said it was for camouflage purposes?
Fair enough but then what purpose does it serve? Cultural? To make their ships appear more aggresive? Painted = blessed by G'Quan?
Dag'Nabbit
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dag'Nabbit » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:59 am

My two cents would be to show which part of the Ka'Ri the individual ships/fleet is associated with, or maybe to invoke the blessings of sacred Narn like G'Quan himself.
WickedE
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby WickedE » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:11 am

I just couldn't paint them white. There was no ENTHUSIASM there. I did a primer coat of white, and it just sat there for a few days with me just staring at it, going "This sucks. This isn't what I want." SO I whipped out some of my Military colors and went with Military Sand Tan with Military Green and Insignia Blue highlights, with grey struts.

Damn right desert camo in space. Cause the ships of the 31st FEAR NO DESERT!

....OR ENEMY!
The Minbari think they're superior. that because they've been touched by Vorlons, they've the right to interfere in our affairs!
Today we tell them the Lion of the Galaxy is not dead, and shall tear them apart if they oppose us!
mrambassador1
Banded Mongoose

Postby mrambassador1 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:35 am

I went with the nova.
One of the few ships to have a spanish galeon feel to it. Doesn't have any long range weapons (no 30" lasers), just big and slow and no maneuverability. Get up along side em and open up with broadsides.
"We are Traders
We go in the dark store rooms where no one will go
We stand at the tills and none shall pass
We live for the shop. We die for the shop"

forgotten forum poster
prelude_to_war
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby prelude_to_war » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:40 am

WickedE wrote:SO I whipped out some of my Military colors and went with Military Sand Tan with Military Green and Insignia Blue highlights, with grey struts.
Can we get a picture of this?
The_Daminator
Stoat

Postby The_Daminator » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:14 pm

The Shadow omega, One shot , one kill :wink: