White Star speed

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Old Bear
Greater Spotted Mongoose

White Star speed

Postby Old Bear » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:38 pm

Hi guys,

A number of people have brought up the fact that the White Star is a bit of a bus with ACC/DEC of just 4. Either Vorlon technology is a lot more pants than they let on or this number should be 14.

Take your pick, although we will probably go with the latter... :wink:
Old Bear

Ted Chang, don't you know. And I'm not a moderator any more so don't even think about moaning to me.
LoneStranger
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby LoneStranger » Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:33 pm

Make a variant rule that the White Star flies as fast as the GM needs it to go? I say this to give the White Star the ability to move like it does in the show, since JMS is quoted as saying "The White Star moves at the speed of plot". :wink:
A fan of the Earth Alliance fleet, a.k.a. the Flying Brick Brigade
Babylon 5 Aide
Banded Mongoose

Postby Babylon 5 Aide » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:55 pm

As always Old Bear, I appriciate it!
What do you mean you need a container marked 'Vorlon bacterial waste'? And you need it delievered where? Ok ok ok yeah I know someone that can make it happen...
August
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby August » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:07 pm

Old Bear's the man, no doubt about it.

14 is indeed the correct value here. That makes it 6 (!) points better than a Vorlon Transport, so it easily earns its reputation as the fastest thing in space.... or at least, it is until the next ship in its production line comes along. <wicked, knowing grin>

-August
"This is a blanket apology to every god I can think of and all the ones I don't know. I have no idea what I did or in which life I did it, but I am really sorry. Ummm, my bad."

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:05 am

i brought up that i thought the speed should be higher, but not at 14.. more like 5, 6, or 7. The book goes by acceleration. Fighters, would have still a better acceleration, but the WhiteStar has a better ability to operate at a faster speed. In season 5 they make a point of that, when Delen and Lenire (shotty spelling) encounter the drak ships..
August
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby August » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:02 am

I can see your point, Guest, but the ship needed to be faster and better able to adjust its speed than a raider vessel (which they were able to fly circles around in the few engagements from the show with raider-like opposents). Since the raiders have an accel of 8, the White Star needed to be considerably better.

-August of the misplaced 1s :)
"This is a blanket apology to every god I can think of and all the ones I don't know. I have no idea what I did or in which life I did it, but I am really sorry. Ummm, my bad."
Old Bear
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old Bear » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:16 am

Mongoose August wrote:Old Bear's the man, no doubt about it.

14 is indeed the correct value here. That makes it 6 (!) points better than a Vorlon Transport, so it easily earns its reputation as the fastest thing in space.... or at least, it is until the next ship in its production line comes along. <wicked, knowing grin>

-August
Ah, but who got me the picture? :D
Old Bear

Ted Chang, don't you know. And I'm not a moderator any more so don't even think about moaning to me.
Old Bear
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old Bear » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:17 am

Babylon 5 Aide wrote:As always Old Bear, I appriciate it!
It's a pleasure to help.
Old Bear

Old Bear
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old Bear » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:18 am

LoneStranger wrote:Make a variant rule that the White Star flies as fast as the GM needs it to go? I say this to give the White Star the ability to move like it does in the show, since JMS is quoted as saying "The White Star moves at the speed of plot". :wink:
Why not? Every GM runs his own ship, if yoou'll pardon the pun. If we can't have diversity in roleplaying, then what's the point? :)
Old Bear

Goldritter
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Goldritter » Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:12 am

Another question .

Are the De- /Accelertion stats for the Torotha Assault Frigate right ?

In the descriptions was wrote, that the Torotha is " the fastest large Ship in the Minbari fleet" .

But it is as fast as the other and the Sharlin is even faster. :?
August
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby August » Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:08 pm

One, the Sharlin is considered a class of ship all by itself by the Minbari and is usually not counted in such comparisons.

Two, the descriptions are effectively how the Minbari 'feel' about their ships and what has been said about them by other races. Much as advertising often lists a feature of a vehicle as 'the fastest' or 'the best handling' even though it is merely very high or comparable to another.