Judges of the world - gear?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Judges of the world - gear?

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:37 pm

Greetings,
first of all, wouldn't 'Judges of the world' be a good title for a supplement (hint hint)?

Last game my players wrecked a souvenir shop while arresting a gang breaking in there. To make something fun from this, I decided that forensics found a huge stash of sugar, hidden in the fluid within snow globes. Following the sugar trail, they're gonna end up busting a factory somewhere in South America. So far so good, but... I realize I don't know anything at all about the judges down there, apart from their pink and black uniform that makes them look like Slaanesh-worshippers...

Does anyone know what kind of equipment they use? Standard issue sidearms? Vehicles?

And while on the topic, what do other judges of the world use? While waiting for someone to write a supplement, can we try to collect some details here?

I assume most judge uniforms can be considered equal to Mega City One's, but what about gear? Lie detectors, weapons, stumm gas, everything. Are other judges even issued standard equipment provided from their cities, like in MC 1?
havercake lad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Judges of the world - gear?

Postby havercake lad » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:18 pm

You referring to Ciudad Baranquilla or Pan-Andes Conurb. Coming up with stats and ethos of various Justice Departments hangs better with detailing the Mega-city or region they patrol. Still given the use of exchange Judges in some Mega-cities maybe a book just on World Judges might be viable?
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:46 pm

I guess I was thinking Ciudad Baranquilla primarily, it would also let me take advantage of a contact one of the players got during training down there.

Hmm, perhaps "Mega-cities of the world" is a 'better' book, but it sounds like much more work needed? A short paragraph, perhaps up to half a page, about the city they work in could suffice, along with some info on how they work/apply laws, whta gear they use, what their closest analogue to Lawgiver, Lawmaster and support vehicles/weapons are, and so on...

Sure, some, like Sov Judges, might benefit more from their very own (Apocalypse War?) supplement, but they could also be the thickest chapter in "Judges of the world" with their green and brown uniforms, their killbots (sentenoids IIRC?) those robo-tanks and Strao-V ships they used in the Apocalypse War, and perhaps even the weird rifle they used during the war on Luna... The one that penetrated any armor but had to be calibrated for distance, making it sound like a small-scale meson weapon from Traveller. I still don't know what kind of weapons they used, though I think I recall both pistols and rifles....
havercake lad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby havercake lad » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:42 pm

I think Hondo Judges might have the edge over EM2 on printed reference material. I'm very busy (painting a drum) but I can try give you some snippets on CB Judges early next week. John Caliber's excellent Worlds of Dredd is a useful PDF with full references.
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:08 pm

Ooh, that would be great! I can always make something up too, I am after all the GM, but it's always nice to try to base it on existing fluff.

I haven't heard of John Caliber's books, City and Worlds of Dredd, but they do sound like something I should buy, thanks for the tip!

Hm, perhaps there is more on Hondo, especially since I imagine most Sov info comes from the Apocalypse war and thus regards EM 1 more than 2. Even if we assume they did share gear back then, the war was long ago, and they've probably changed at least some of the gear since then.
havercake lad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby havercake lad » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:13 pm

Hmm..after posting on wrong thread, back here seems logical place to resume.

I suspect sugar is a legal substance in most Mega-cities.

Re World Judges

I suspect clones are most common in MC1, and them mainly as streert Judges with no Psi-Judges coming from this source. clone stock amongst street judges is probably in 33% to 50% level i guess.

Texas City probably has some cloned Judges its developed itself, rather than just the MC1 donations its recieved in the past.

No evidence for any other clone Judges bar East Meg that i am aware of. I suspect EM2 cloning technology is decades behind MC1's , looking at the Kazan clones physical deterioration.

Some Judges are doubtless waged, possibly even Texas City ones if a reference to a wager is taken at face value.

Many probably only recruit young adults. MC1, Texas City and EM2 seem to train Judges from infancy.

Celebacy is probably a requirement for the Inquisitor Judges of Mega City, but probably not any other forces, though liasions between fellow Judges might be discouraged.
havercake lad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby havercake lad » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:16 pm

There didn't seem to be much variation in Judge gear between EM1 and EM2. Significant difference between EM and MC forces is the Russians still relying on rail lines for transport across their continent.
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:52 am

Hmm, yeah wouldn't surprise me if sugar is legal in other parts of the world... So, the facility they have to shut down isn't a sugar plant, but rather a factory that specializes in ways to smuggle sugar (like in snow globes)... yes, tht might work.

I think I have to re-read Apocalypse War (and not only to scour it for info on Sov-judges). I can't recall anything about their weaponry at all, aside from the weird (meson?) guns they used during the 'war' on Luna. There should be some kind of rifles and pistols, but would they use multiple ammo types like in Lawgivers....?

Would I be correct in assuming that there's more and more info regarding other judges in newer publications? I'm working my way through the Complete Case Files, and I'm up to 16 now I think, looking to get started on 17 soon (gotta love being able to buy them digitally cheap)
havercake lad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby havercake lad » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:31 pm

East Meg judges also feature in Anderson stories and their own strips such as the Inspectyre and Spetznaz Squad..so lots of info besides the Dredd strips. Some EMeg 2 military hardware features in the Gulag story.

The Sov Judge handgun in the Apoc' war had gas bullet options, the carbine used at this tome featured in a later story in someones collection. East Meg clearly used Psis and sleeping agents quite effectively, many are still doubtless hidden away somewhere! Later stories show efficent cyborgs used eg Nadia, Cypher ..possibly a development that came about to try get an edge over MC One's clone technology. Judge Pax in the Cypher story had a tec gizmo that linked her eye sight with her gun giving her an edge in aiming fast and accurately.