Point Of No Return?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Halcyon

Postby Halcyon » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:45 pm

Indeed I would thought Marcus's base class would have been Worker.
ronbogard
Banded Mongoose

Postby ronbogard » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:14 pm

Halcyon srote:
Indeed I would thought Marcus's base class would have been Worker.
The gaming group I belong to feel the same way. That Marcus should have the worker class.
August
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby August » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:58 pm

This is where gaming statistics and character background sometimes diverge. I agree totally that Marcus was a worker, but he also had military training. When I wrote him up, I realized that if I made him worker first, it would hamper his total combat ability (which, honestly, is one of the highest in the show). On the other hand, if I made him soldier, his show-given abilities would stay intact as the small sacrifice of potential work skills he never uses and may no longer even remember well enough to put into effect. That's the option I went for.

Remember, a character does not have to be modeled after every life experience they ever had. If that were true, high school would require all of us to take at least one level of Expert (from the d20 SRD) to simulate those skills we were supposed to have learned.

Some may not agree, but at least you can see what I was going for. That help any?

-August
"This is a blanket apology to every god I can think of and all the ones I don't know. I have no idea what I did or in which life I did it, but I am really sorry. Ummm, my bad."
El Cid
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:17 pm

The one thing that one of my players noticed was that Marcus didn't have Gather Information skill.

Since the Rangers were suppose to be gathering information on the Shadows coming back, I'd say that was an oversight.
redlaco
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby redlaco » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:58 am

Yeah and we saw in a few episodes that Marcus developped an elaborate network of contacts at Downbelow, so he could definitely be called an expert in information gathering.

But I agree with August in his use of soldier instead of worker; sometimes, one must tweak game mechanics to effectively portray a given character. That is especially true in a setting as character driven as Babylon 5.
"Knowledge is what makes the difference between the world you want, and the world other people think you should have." -- JMS
August
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby August » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:15 am

This is also a matter of tastes in gaming. Having seen how Marcus tends to gather information, his 'skill' is more a matter of Intimidation and roleplaying rather than any direct Gather Information. That said, I can certainly see how he should have some skill in Gather Information. That's why I left some of his points unspent- Games Masters are free to tailor him to their 'ideal' of what the character should be.

That's the way of things with any existing character and the roleplaying version people try to create. None of us are perfect, so we make what we see. If he is not suitable as if, change him. Thus is the number one rule of roleplaying perserved; the Games Master is always right... within the context of his or her own campaign.

-August
"This is a blanket apology to every god I can think of and all the ones I don't know. I have no idea what I did or in which life I did it, but I am really sorry. Ummm, my bad."
El Cid
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:20 pm

I have to agree about how Marcus gathered information espically the bar scene as he looked around the bar and saw everyone he wanted to question was unconscious.

I think his statement was something like "I really hate having to wait for one of them to wake up."

At that point I was ROTFLMAO.
Chobbly
Banded Mongoose

Postby Chobbly » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:14 pm

El Cid wrote:I have to agree about how Marcus gathered information espically the bar scene as he looked around the bar and saw everyone he wanted to question was unconscious.

I think his statement was something like "I really hate having to wait for one of them to wake up."

At that point I was ROTFLMAO.
Yeah, wasn't that in 'Ceremonies of the Light and Dark'?

Suffice to say, Gather Information can take many forms. Including playing 'Last Man Standing' with a fighting pike. :)

And, as for Marcus, his losing the skills for being a soldier rather than a worker can easily be explained by the state he was in, in City of Sorrows, when he first came on board Babylon Five. IIRC, he was in a heck of a state, even signing away the fate of Arisia even though he knew what really happened. Either way, the stats are ok for the Marcus seen in the show. If there is an alternate set of Marcus stats produced for the Anla-Shok sourcebook, then that will be okay too (one of the things I like about some of the D20 Star Wars stuff is their alternate versions of characters, with differing prestige classes). That said, it's all in the game - role playing is more important than stats.

Chobbly
CARTMAG
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby CARTMAG » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:22 am

I personaly Love the fact that they turned the Rangers into a 10 level PRC instead of a 5. the 10 level version makes alot more sence. and I also love the fact that the Pike gets Nastier as the Ranger gets better. It realy does show the Dedication the ranger has too his chosen weapon. a Ranger with a d10 Masterwork pike and the Dennbok Master feat is just nasty thought. excelet job August 2 thumbs UP
in the immortal words of Socraties "I drank what?"
Chobbly
Banded Mongoose

Postby Chobbly » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:10 am

CARTMAG wrote:I personaly Love the fact that they turned the Rangers into a 10 level PRC instead of a 5. the 10 level version makes alot more sence. and I also love the fact that the Pike gets Nastier as the Ranger gets better. It realy does show the Dedication the ranger has too his chosen weapon. a Ranger with a d10 Masterwork pike and the Dennbok Master feat is just nasty thought. excelet job August 2 thumbs UP
Couldn't agree with you more. I really like the way that the pike works as well. For all the Rangers in the show, the pike was a signiature weapon. The potential for a high level Ranger to do major damage is really in character, and reflects the sort of dedication to a craft that Sech Durhan was on about when he said in 'City of Sorrows' that only those he believed worthy would be trained (by him personally).

I did my own PrC for a Ranger class ( I think it was called Ranger Initiate, or something), but really liked some of the class features in the 10 level PRC, in particular the 'Heart' ability - the 5 level was really only a preview after all.

Chobbly