Point Of No Return?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
ronbogard
Banded Mongoose

Point Of No Return?

Postby ronbogard » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:30 pm

Any word when 'Point OF No Return' is going to be released?
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:56 pm

It is at the printers right now, so we are just waiting for a shipment - stay tuned for news!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:55 am

WOuld it be possible to get a preview of the Point of No Return Book?
Chobbly
Banded Mongoose

Point of No Return preview

Postby Chobbly » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:11 am

In the wise words of Mrs Doyle from Father Ted, Ah, go on. Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on! :D

Failing that, it'd be great to get a preview. It'd give me an idea what I'll be spending some of my Christmas money on...
ronbogard
Banded Mongoose

Postby ronbogard » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:12 pm

Any news on Point of No Return it still is marked as Preorder on the order page.
LoneStranger
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby LoneStranger » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:14 am

That doesn't mean anything really, sounds like a Mid-January release if nothing else.
A fan of the Earth Alliance fleet, a.k.a. the Flying Brick Brigade
rbax
Banded Mongoose

Postby rbax » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:54 pm

Can't help but say it.....Yet another missed date. Not a particularly good showing considering that Mongoose set everything B5 back a month just prior to this product. Maybe another month push back?

--- Rich
CARTMAG
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby CARTMAG » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:29 pm

umm rbax you cant realy go with dates on gaming suplies.. its not mongooses fault.. its mostlikly the Printers backlog....
in the immortal words of Socraties "I drank what?"
rbax
Banded Mongoose

Postby rbax » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:33 am

umm rbax you cant realy go with dates on gaming suplies.. its not mongooses fault.. its mostlikly the Printers backlog....
Actually.....I can....though its a little unfair. However Mongoose does deserve a kick in the pant for NEVER making a release date for B5. I remember thinking when Mongoose originally announced the release schedule that it was remarkably aggressive. Then they started right off the bat by missing their release date for the base book.

Personally that didn't really bother me since it was the kickoff book and the system surely must have required what had to have been a host of tweaks and mods. However, Monogoose compounded the problem by continuing to promote an accelerated schedule that they continuely did not meet.

The Firey Trial - Late
The Coming of Shadows - Late
The Earthforce Sourcebook - Late
The Minbari Sourcebook - Late

Then they got smart (or so I thought) and pushed everything back a month. Seemed reasonable. Get things under control and back on track. So the first new suppliment following the month push back is......

....wait for it......

.....late.

Any takers on whether this months release, the Centauri Sourcebook, will arrive....well....this month.

And lets not discuss the phatom Companion Manual...now you see it....now you don't . Its listed in Signs and Portents 6 (which IS on time...thanks Oldbear for all the effort your putting in for the US customers. It is appreciated.) but apparently its "Sir Not Appearing" on the Website now thought it was there for awhile. What gives?

Don't get me wrong. I love B5. I have practically everything there is to get. I have everything Mongoose has put out for B5 and will continue to buy everything they put out.

However, as long as Mongoose continues to promote release dates that they NEVER make. I will continue to hold it against them. No ranting. No raving but reminders of the facts. If you continuously make claims you can't back up then you need to quit making the claims. Do what AEG does start with a season (say spring), later go to a month when those babies are on the boat and on their way to distributers then finally a date when the they actually hit the stores.

Just my 99 cents worth. Far more than you or anyone else ever wanted to here I'm sure.

--- Rich
LoneStranger
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby LoneStranger » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:16 am

Rbax, practically every company is late on their releases. It's not just Mongoose, it's not just Wizards of the Hasbro, it's not just any one company. It tends to be industry wide, however these guys here are better than some companies I've seen and/or heard about.

Consider this:
Hogshead Publishing had one or two books that took them multiple years to get published back when they had the rights to Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play, then they closed up shop and after a couple months re-opened as a D20 house.

Decipher seems to have all but given up on it's RPG division, they'll probably make sure to support the Middle-Earth RPG until the Return of the King book and possibly another map set comes out then down it goes much like Star Trek.

I know it sucks but the best thing we can do is go along with it, in some cases it's for a good reason and in other cases it's just people at the company being stupid.
ronbogard
Banded Mongoose

Postby ronbogard » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:46 am

It is at the printers right now, so we are just waiting for a shipment
Sounds like the printers strike again.
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:26 pm

Remember that august Hahn, who as written the Minbari book and Point of No return, has been seriously ill. That has been a contributing factor to the lateness. So cut them a little slack. :)
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:45 pm

Hi guys,

Point of No Return has arrived at our warehouse, and will be going off to the distributors next week! Look for it in your stores a week after that.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
ronbogard
Banded Mongoose

Postby ronbogard » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:18 pm

Remember that august Hahn, who as written the Minbari book and Point of No return, has been seriously ill.
I did not know that I hope he feels better. An thanks for the update msprage.
MrFilthyIke
Mongoose

Postby MrFilthyIke » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:31 pm

ronbogard wrote:
Remember that august Hahn, who as written the Minbari book and Point of No return, has been seriously ill.
I did not know that I hope he feels better. An thanks for the update msprage.
That's one of the contributing factors in many companies, illness and injury.
Shane Murphy
mrfilthyike AT gmail DOT com
rbax
Banded Mongoose

Postby rbax » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:55 pm

I accept that "things happen." August getting sick definitely would slow things down....and printing....don't even mention printing. I worked with Agent of Gaming long enough to get a good feel about the hell that is a printing company.

But Mongoose has not made a single release date for B5. Not one. Tough to give the benefit of doubt when the track record is completely and 100% opposite.

When August got sick....well then change the website before everyone starts going "where is such and such." Problems with the printers, fine update the website...put the word out. And don't just removed said item from the list like what was done with the Companion book. Put a brief explanation.

People come to the website and see "Point of No Return" was out last month and that the "Centauri Source Book" is do out at any moment (the next couple of weeks). Reality is, "Point of Return is still not out and won't be till the end of this month and the Centuair sourcebook??? Maybe next month. I'm sorry but it just looks bad to claim a new product for each month that in reality won't appear until the end of the next month (at best).

In the mean time I'll keep calling Mongoose on it and they'll keep ignoring me (I would in their position. Afterall I'm only one person shouting in the dark so Mongoose shouldn't get to worked up about it. Now if I can generate a ground swell of agreement....well....).

Call it a therapy for a frustrated gamer and giant B5 fan.

--- Rich
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:39 pm

You have a perfect, absolute right to be annoyed with us!

I could say that we have instituted all sorts of new procedures to speed things up on the B5 front. I could say we have another frontline B5 writer. The proof, as always however, is in the pudding.

Point of No Return will be out in stores in less than a fortnight. Centauri will over run, as it is still awaiting approval at Warner Brothers. Narn, with the best will in the world, will likely suffer the same fate.

After that, we should be square with you guys. I can only hope you believe the books are worth it when they actually come out. . .
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
LoneStranger
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby LoneStranger » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:56 pm

So far the books have been worth it. Yes I will grant it's annoying but like I said somewhere else, I've noticed this tends to be an industry wide problem. However I've heard some of the reasons behind the delays here and it's really not the fault of these guys.

I also have to commend Mongoose on making attempts to solve the problem. Glad to know there's at least one company out there that listens.
Shadowpunk
Cub

Postby Shadowpunk » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:38 pm

msprange wrote:I can only hope you believe the books are worth it when they actually come out. . .
Some have been worth it; other have not been worth it. Such as it is with any company, I suppose.
*** A Shadow never lies... he just bends the truth a bit... ***
ronbogard
Banded Mongoose

Postby ronbogard » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:00 pm

msprange wrote:
I can only hope you believe the books are worth it when they actually come out. . .
I for one love the work you are doing at mongoose. The only reason I started this topic is so I could save back some money to get it wheb it comes out.