[CONAN] Track and Aid Another

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

[CONAN] Track and Aid Another

Postby Supplement Four » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:52 am

This is totally up to the GM, but I'm looking for other opinions. How many Aid Another bonuses would you allow for Track? If you have a group of 10 trackers, and they all make their Aid Another checks, would you allow +20 to the throw?

What seems reasonable?

Also, I've seen a version of Aid Another where, if the extra person fails the Aid Another check, he can end up hurting the chances of the overall throw. For example, let's say you've got three trackers. The one with the highest Survival skill will make the check. The second highest will attempt Aid Another and makes it, giving the main tracker a +2 bonus on the throw. The third guy bricks his Aid Another attempt and ends up giving the primary tracker a -1 penalty on the throw (for a net of +1 on the throw).

The idea here is that the guy that fails is actually missing, stepping on, and otherwise destroying valuable track information.

You could take this idea and increase the DC by +2 for every extra person: First tracker Aids at the standard DC 10. Second aids at DC 12. Third aids at DC 14, and so on.

What are your thoughts on this?
Mach5RR
Stoat

Re: [CONAN] Track and Aid Another

Postby Mach5RR » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:05 am

Hmmmmm, if you are willing to borrow from Another Game(TM), I may have something for you.

From Fantasy Craft:

COOPERATIVE CHECKS
When multiple characters work together to perform a task, they make a “cooperative check.” One character becomes the leader and all others become helpers. A maximum of 5 helpers may assist each skill check. The leader makes a standard skill check against the full DC and then each helper makes the same check against a DC of 15. For each helper who succeeds, the leader’s result increases by 1, and for each helper who scores a critical success the leader’s result increases by 2. If any of the helpers suffers a critical failure, however, the entire task is ruined and must be started again. The leader’s total result — after all helper bonuses are applied — determines the cooperative check’s outcome.

The only thing you have to know is that Fantasy Craft adds the concept of critical successes and failures to all rolls. But instead of rolling to confirm it, you spend an "action die" (think equivalent of Fate Point, but way more generously awarded) to confirm criticals - and not necessarily your own (the GM is usually spending his action die to confirm failures and villain crits)
Mach5RR
Stoat

Postby Mach5RR » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:19 am

Thinking about it ... none

Tracking ... is a solo thing. Think about it, in all those stories and history, when the army or a group is chasing someone, they don't send out a hoard of trackers. They only send one, maybe two, for the junior to learn from the master. Why? Because the more you send inexperienced people out to track, the better chance they have of obscuring the trail. The tracker is out front, following light footprints, disturbances in the brush ... everything that gets lost as more people are trampling through it ("I found the tracks, he went this way!" .... "Ted, those are mine>")
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:55 pm

But we're talking about three experienced trackers here. Remember in the Howard's Conan story Beyond The Black River how well the Picts could track escaping Conan and his pal?