Where are the Lone Wolf MPRPG books?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Random Code
Banded Mongoose

Where are the Lone Wolf MPRPG books?

Postby Random Code » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:01 am

So, no longer any sign of Lone Wolf under Mongoose's listed RPGs. Also no sign of any results when searching for "Lone Wolf" on the site search. No PDFs on DriveThruRPG either...

What gives?

No announcement or anything as to what is happening - nice to see Mongoose maintaining its usual standards of customer communication. Come on Matt, please step up to the plate - we get enough disappointment waiting for the latest LW gamebook, nevermind this kind of thing.

Is that it? No more Lone Wolf from Mongoose?
August1
Banded Mongoose

Re: Where are the Lone Wolf MPRPG books?

Postby August1 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:50 am

The removal could simply be part of website maintenance or upgrades. That's happened before. Just as a repost from another thread:

-------------

Trust me, I wish I had something to tell everyone but I'm as out of the loop as anyone else. I usually look to Project Aon for Lone Wolf-related announcements. If there's anything to be learned, it'll come here and it'll get posted there. They even have a news feed that will send announcements to your email:

http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/WhatsNew

The Project Aon folks have a solid forum as well.

With hope, this is all just another delay and the website will be back up quickly. If there's anything to know, I suspect Project Aon will have the scoop in a a day or two. They tend to be pretty timely. Take care all!

Peace,
-August
Random Code
Banded Mongoose

Postby Random Code » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:55 am

August1 wrote:The removal could simply be part of website maintenance or upgrades.
Not too sure, when you also consider the complete absence on DriveThruRPG as well and also that only Lone Wolf has been removed. I hope you're right but the track record of support, releases, and communication for Lone Wolf gives me definite concern. Also, if it is just something like maintenance then it would take a couple of seconds to simply post a head's up of it here and address any concerns. Instead, deafening silence.
Random Code
Banded Mongoose

Postby Random Code » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:53 am

A good 24 hours since all signs of LW were removed and no communication from Mongoose. Great job, gents, you're excelling yourself on this one! Please give us an update, the complete silence is really the worse possible way of handling this situation.
Random Code
Banded Mongoose

Postby Random Code » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Okay, I sent Mongoose an email about this and had the following response:
Matt Sprange wrote:Hi there,

Mr Dever and I will be making an announcement about all this very soon. You
will not be left hanging with pre-orders and subscriptions, however.

Regards,

Matthew
My reply:

Hi Matt,

How soon is "very soon"? I really don't think complete silence is the way to go considering you've pretty much withdrawn *all* products relating to Lone Wolf so an update along with the product withdrawal would have been the best way to go, as that time has passed when will we get one?

At the moment it's looking like the product line has been cancelled. Is that the case? Is it being moved to Joe Dever's own company? Something else?

Thanks,
Richard

Will see what happens...
Random Code
Banded Mongoose

Postby Random Code » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:22 pm

Some further information/response...
Matt Sprange wrote:We are discussing this with Mr Dever right now (literally), and we both want to make an announcement as soon as possible. Certain things need to be done first, but we are hoping it will be this afternoon.

Regards,

Matthew
My reply:

Thanks Matt,

I really am concerned. I loved this line... the presentation in small book form, the lite rules, the plans... The hardback gamebooks were great. I really hope none of this is messed with but I suspect it's going to be.

Finger's crossed and look forward to hearing something.

Thanks,
Richard

So, some announcement today. We shall see...
Last edited by Random Code on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.Y.A.
Stoat

Postby T.Y.A. » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:24 pm

That's helpful.

Come on Mongoose. It's not like we haven't put up with enough over the whole LW situation. It's really not that hard. See the little button at the bottom of the page marked "PostReply"? It's the way forward before an angry mob starts to form...

BTW: Anyone know where to buy wooden torches and pitchforks? :wink:
--
I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere,
So I'm here for the hell of it now...
Random Code
Banded Mongoose

Postby Random Code » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:49 pm

News here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=55464

Very disappointing to say the least but I suspected it as per my previous posts.

If Mongoose have no other products that you're at all interested in then your Megadeal money looks to be lost. I've sent them an email regarding my other pre-orders (eg, Stornlands II, Kai Monastery, and Drakkharim) requesting a full refund as the announcement isn't clear on those.
Clegane
Weasel

Postby Clegane » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Random Code wrote:News here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=55464

Very disappointing to say the least but I suspected it as per my previous posts.

Indeed.

I will note, with some dismay, that there is no mention of a straight cash refund of the money we paid but did not receive product for. Their offer of full value for the total of megadeal in exchange for company credit would be great...except for the fact that Mongoose has lost the licensing rights for every product line I've ever been interested in. :/

On the bright side, I had the foresight to get in writing from a Mongoose rep at the time of purchase that a full cash refund of the remaining balance would be available to all megadeal purchasers if Mongoose was unable to fulfill the terms.

There's no way they're going to be screwing us all out of hundreds of dollars.
Random Code
Banded Mongoose

Postby Random Code » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:01 pm

Clegane wrote:On the bright side, I had the foresight to get in writing from a Mongoose rep at the time of purchase that a full cash refund of the remaining balance would be available to all megadeal purchasers if Mongoose was unable to fulfill the terms.

On the less bright side, it isn't going to be fun trying to find an email from 7 years ago. Several removable storage drives to look through. I really hope they don't make us jump through hoops on this one.
You may have to fight for that to be honoured but let us know how you go because if you're given that refund then others should be as well in the UK as it relates to treating customers fairly and consistently.

I've started a thread on RPGnet: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?677 ... f-the-Line

It may be worth creating an account there (if you don't have one already) if we need to share information.
Clegane
Weasel

Postby Clegane » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Random Code wrote: You may have to fight for that to be honoured but let us know how you go because if you're given that refund then others should be as well in the UK as it relates to treating customers fairly and consistently.

I've started a thread on RPGnet: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?677 ... f-the-Line

It may be worth creating an account there (if you don't have one already) if we need to share information.
Yeah, we'll see what happens. I'll start going through my old storage drives to try and find the written confirmation, but I am certain I have it. My wife, both a CPA and an attorney, required me to get it before making the financial commitment. :P I distinctly remember the discussion surrounding the event.

In any event, hopefully there won't be a lot of resistance to an amicable solution here. My gut tells me the equation is fairly simple. We contracted with Mongoose for a certain amount of books, they failed to provide them and have now acknowledged that they will never do so. Contract breached. Their willingness to provide store credit is an admirable attempt at fairness, but note that we are not required to accept it in lieu of a refund of the cash we paid when we contracted with Mongoose for the goods.

That said, if they want to resist, lawsuits may be the only recourse. On the bright side, though, the individual amounts are small enough that it can be handled in small claims court in most jurisdictions. But again, hopefully it won't ever come to that. I'm sure everyone involved is anxious to play nice.

Unfortunately, with the losses of both the Conan and Lone Wolf licenses, Mongoose company credit is worth about as much to me as a stocking full of coal. I have zero interest in any of their remaining products.
Random Code
Banded Mongoose

Postby Random Code » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Clegane wrote:Yeah, we'll see what happens. I'll start going through my old storage drives to try and find the written confirmation, but I am certain I have it. My wife, both a CPA and an attorney, required me to get it before making the financial commitment. :P I distinctly remember the discussion surrounding the event.
The difficulty with that is that I believe Mongoose are trading as a UK company so your enforcement (if it comes to that) won't be as simple for you (being based in the USA).
Clegane wrote:In any event, hopefully there won't be a lot of resistance to an amicable solution here. My gut tells me the equation is fairly simple. We contracted with Mongoose for a certain amount of books, they failed to provide them and have now acknowledged that they will never do so. Contract breached. Their willingness to provide store credit is an admirable attempt at fairness, but note that we are not required to accept it in lieu of a refund of the cash we paid when we contracted with Mongoose for the goods.
I agree, I have no interest in any other Mongoose products so its useless to me. I would have at least expected a partial refund on the Megadeal because we have had some books.
Clegane wrote:That said, if they want to resist, lawsuits may be the only recourse. On the bright side, though, the individual amounts are small enough that it can be handled in small claims court in most jurisdictions. But again, hopefully it won't ever come to that. I'm sure everyone involved is anxious to play nice.
Again, that might be a problem due to the international nature of the transaction so enforcement may not be possible or time consuming and expensive. I, personally, wouldn't be hopeful of using any emails sent as grounds for enforcement. Like I said earlier though, get on RPGnet to continue comms because with this forum closing soon we won't have any access to it.

I pretty disgusted with Mongoose at the moment.
Clegane
Weasel

Postby Clegane » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:31 pm

Random Code wrote: Stuff
Yeah, I am trying to be optimistic. If they want to be resistant, they can surely make it difficult and inconvenient to get our money. Not impossible, of course. We ARE in the right here, as jilted consumers. But inconvenient enough that it isn't worth it for the few hundred dollars left after considering the cost of the books we did receive.
T.Y.A.
Stoat

Postby T.Y.A. » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:52 pm

I can't say I'm surprised, the Mantikore news was the give away. The phrase "Couldn't organise an all day drinking session in a brewery." has dogged this project from start to finish. Sadly I've no interest in anything else in the Mongoose stable so I too will be looking for a cash refund on the outstanding balance. :roll:

I've now got a second incomplete set of LW books which has more missing than my original collection does, *AND* I don't get any more of August's continuing adventures of Dire. :(

Let's hope Joe Dever has something up his sleeve to get LW back into print. Hopefully in a similar sized premium format book.
--
Random Code
Banded Mongoose

Postby Random Code » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:55 pm

T.Y.A. wrote:Let's hope Joe Dever has something up his sleeve to get LW back into print. Hopefully in a similar sized premium format book.
And the RPG as well. I want the same *look* and format. I can't stand changes of such kind - especially halfway through a series.
Random Code
Banded Mongoose

Postby Random Code » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:56 pm

Just to let people know that Matthew Sprange has replied to my email and confirmed that any pre-orders of the Multiplayer RPG books will start being refunded next week.
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Random Code wrote:Just to let people know that Matthew Sprange has replied to my email and confirmed that any pre-orders of the Multiplayer RPG books will start being refunded next week.
Sorry, yes, should have mentioned.

This will take a few days to collate the information and start to make the refunds, but if you have a pre-order for any Lone Wolf book that will now not make it to print, we will be automatically refunding you. As I say, just give us a few days, if you could, as this will take us a little time.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
T.Y.A.
Stoat

Postby T.Y.A. » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:15 pm

msprange wrote: This will take a few days to collate the information and start to make the refunds, but if you have a pre-order for any Lone Wolf book that will now not make it to print, we will be automatically refunding you. As I say, just give us a few days, if you could, as this will take us a little time.
I pre-ordered 32 of them... I've only had 17. By my reckoning, (let's be generous, round down and ignore novels) that's a hundred and sixty quid I want back.

Have a couple of weeks, no rush, I wasn't expecting the last book until years from now.
--
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:20 pm

T.Y.A. wrote: I pre-ordered 32 of them... I've only had 17. By my reckoning, (let's be generous, round down and ignore novels) that's a hundred and sixty quid I want back.
If you are a megadeal customer, you need to contact me, as per the posting.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Random Code
Banded Mongoose

Postby Random Code » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:26 pm

T.Y.A. wrote:I pre-ordered 32 of them... I've only had 17. By my reckoning, (let's be generous, round down and ignore novels) that's a hundred and sixty quid I want back.
Don't know if you've actually read the previous posts or announcements but that kind of refund isn't on offer. We're getting store credits for other Mongoose products but at the full value of the Megadeal. Pretty awesome... If they had other RPGs I was interested in.
msprange wrote:
T.Y.A. wrote: I pre-ordered 32 of them... I've only had 17. By my reckoning, (let's be generous, round down and ignore novels) that's a hundred and sixty quid I want back.
If you are a megadeal customer, you need to contact me, as per the posting.
Matt, I really think you need to consider treating customers fairly and consistently here. Bilateral negotiations aren't really the right thing to do with customers that have the same oustanding purchases. Surely offer part cash refunds or credits for purchases based on the full Mega Deal amount to all MD customers? Otherwise I think you're leaving yourself open to some serious reaction to this.