On patrol

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Judge Shaw
Stoat

On patrol

Postby Judge Shaw » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Ok, the player in my solo JD game threw me a bit of a curve by rolling up a Tek Judge (I'd have bet the farm he would have gone with Street Div :? ). Anyway, my question is according to what I can find in the book a Tek Judge is kitted out just like any Street Judge (plus some extras) does this mean that Tek Judges can be sent out on General Street Patrol duties (with a patrol or solo) as well?
havercake lad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: On patrol

Postby havercake lad » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:57 pm

Strict canon no.. but then maybe the Tek Judge he is making up for shortfall of Street Judges ? Especially if he/she has good Street Perception or has the Investigate skill. Hot shots like Anderson get to to do solo patrols even though she is not Street Div.

Incidently, I always considered the auto JOT in Tek Judge a bit of a glitch in character creation and modified it.
havercake lad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby havercake lad » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:31 pm

Maybe your campaign might feature a fresh trial of the Mechanismo project and your Tek Judge is in charge of one ?
Judge Shaw
Stoat

Postby Judge Shaw » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:58 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how players have the abilty to go in a completly different direction then you would think. :? :shock:

As the first game is based around a hi-jack of a JD arms transfer. Also, the game is set in a a sector with particularly high crime stats (and a bit of a backwater). So, an "an all hands on deck" policy could easily be in place a Tek Judge on patrol might not be out of place.
cfirpi
Banded Mongoose

Postby cfirpi » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:59 am

The way I explained it away is : every judge that graduated is eligible for street duty, of course the more important you are the less time you will have on the pavement.

That way the likes of Judge Warders, PSU, admin, lowly techs etc is handled by those cadets who didnt make it, but the Justice Department kept them on the payroll.
Sector 301's adventures: http://judgeblotter.blogspot.com/
havercake lad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby havercake lad » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:24 am

Judge Shaw wrote: So, an "an all hands on deck" policy could easily be in place a Tek Judge on patrol might not be out of place.
Payroll ?
cfirpi
Banded Mongoose

Postby cfirpi » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:24 pm

Well I figured they flunked out but are still highly trained so the JD would treat them as employees instead of property.

Otherwise just take it as a figure of speech, your choice.
havercake lad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby havercake lad » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:57 pm

cfirpi wrote:Well I figured they flunked out but are still highly trained so the JD would treat them as employees instead of property.

Otherwise just take it as a figure of speech, your choice.
Figure of speech for me.

All Judges are unpaid. Auxillaries, which sometimes include ex Judges or cadets do recieve a wage on the canon material.

I suppose I am a bit of a pedant on this point after a Blackflame Dredd novel that included salaried Judges once slipped under an editor's notice.
cfirpi
Banded Mongoose

Postby cfirpi » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Was it as bad as Swine fever, where apparantly it read like the guy didnt now squat about the JD world.

Also Auxillaries was wha I had in mind. I cant see every member of PSU or Judge warders being full judges. That seems like a waste of good graduates.
So those that almost made it, term 3 and 4 cadets, can be picked up for work that benefits society. They are highly disciplined and trained civilians.
Judge Shaw
Stoat

Postby Judge Shaw » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:22 pm

I suppose I could see some members of PSU (and perhaps the Judge Warders) being 3rd or 4th term washouts, but not very many. They would have to be particularly gifted individuals in their field; they either could not hack the physicality of Judge training, or were injured to point where they could not continue.
havercake lad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby havercake lad » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:27 pm

In the canon, problem cadets might end up in Space Corps. Others can get released into the community, though some might need lobotomies to help them adjust or curb agressive tendancies.
Auxillary roles might include Adminn or driver roles etc. Judges who eventually fail to meet the required criteria of fitness, law administrating and celebacy. The methods for dealing with failed Judges probably got less draconian under Volt and Hershey's first administration.
Nuclear Fridge Magnet
Mongoose

Postby Nuclear Fridge Magnet » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:53 pm

Washouts also get to carry out glamourous tasks such as driving 'meat' wagons full of corpses from Sector Houses to Resyk, or manning a screen at a sector's traffic-control office... No doubt a burnt-out Judge or Tek gets stuck with overseeing these miserable specimens. :twisted:

They'd also be susceptible to criminal pressure that a street Judge wouldn't... For every DeKlerk or 'Bad' Manners, there have got to be a few unappreciated auxiliaries quietly chafing under Judicial supervision...
"A very wise man once taught me a valuable lesson...
"In space we have nothing. Nothing at all."