Asimov class stats?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
EricRoss
Mongoose

Asimov class stats?

Postby EricRoss » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:47 pm

does any one know where I can find the stats on the Asimov class starship pictured on page 107 of the Earth Alliance Factbook. It looks remarkably similar to the PsiCorps Mothership so I would think the stats would be similar. The name Asimov would seem to indicate that the ship might have a scientific or exploratory role, but other then that I am stumped.
"If one listens more often then they speak, they often have their questions answered before they are asked"
Dek Soran-Jedi Master
frobisher
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: Asimov class stats?

Postby frobisher » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:23 am

EricRoss wrote:does any one know where I can find the stats on the Asimov class starship pictured on page 107 of the Earth Alliance Factbook. It looks remarkably similar to the PsiCorps Mothership so I would think the stats would be similar. The name Asimov would seem to indicate that the ship might have a scientific or exploratory role, but other then that I am stumped.
The Asimov class is a commercial liner (the big round one we see near B5 a lot, and the one that took Franklin and Marcus to Mars in season 4).

I think we already have stats for it in the main rule book as it's a season one unit, but it is very lightly armed (4 Particle Beams I think).
Paddy Sinclair

Us Yellowbeards are never more dangerous than when we're dead...
EricRoss
Mongoose

Postby EricRoss » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:33 am

I think I found the ship stats. Your identifying it as a liner helped since they do not give the class name and just call it a "Space Liner, Earth Alliance". Thanks for the help.
"If one listens more often then they speak, they often have their questions answered before they are asked"
Dek Soran-Jedi Master
Jenesis
Shrew

Postby Jenesis » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:55 am

Is 'Asimov' actually the class name? From the announcements I can remember from the series I think it's just the name of a particular liner that travels to and from B5 on some regular route. Offhand, I think Tu'Pari leaves on it when fleeing from Thenta Makur retribution.
EricRoss
Mongoose

Postby EricRoss » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:09 am

The only time I have seen it at all is in a picture in the Earth Alliance Factbook with the name 'Asimov' next to the picture.
Dek Soran-Jedi Master
Enlightened Bystander
Stoat

Postby Enlightened Bystander » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:57 am

The Asimov is a specific liner, it's just the one that's around B5 the most. Some sources use the name for the class, as people used Hyperion for Earth Force's Heavy Cruiser class. It's just that Hyperion has stuck in people's minds, and become almost canon (or possibly truly canon, JMS may have said it somewhere).
Mongoose Gar
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Gar » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:47 pm

The Psi Corps mothership is indeed a refit of that design. I ramble on about it in the Psi Corps book (I think I called it the Asimov there too).
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:09 pm

Nope, you refer to them as Bradbury-lambda (or Bradbury-psi).
Psi-Corps Mothership, listed in Psi-Corps book P.112 is a Colossal III spacecraft, same stats as the listing in EA book P. 141

EA Space Liner, Main book (1st printing) P.96 is a Colossal V spacecraft.
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
Mongoose Gar
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Gar » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:52 am

i'mtiredandiwasataconallweekendstoplookingatmelikethatleavemealone.
frobisher
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby frobisher » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:04 am

Enlightened Bystander wrote:It's just that Hyperion has stuck in people's minds, and become almost canon (or possibly truly canon, JMS may have said it somewhere).
It is canon. AoG wanted to call the class something else (Lexington I think, and that was in the early playtest versions), but Warners nixed that and said it was Hyperion.

Asimov... dunno, I'd prefer Bradbury though :)
Paddy Sinclair

lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:23 am

Mongoose Gar wrote:i'mtiredandiwasataconallweekendstoplookingatmelikethatleavemealone.
Sorry Gar, I wasn't trying to get at you, I was just posting the information up for all to consider.

As an addendum to what I said, the ships al;l look the same, the different sizes I reckon are just a scaling thing. Same design but 40% (or whatever) bigger.

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
mthomason
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby mthomason » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:11 am

lastbesthope wrote:As an addendum to what I said, the ships al;l look the same, the different sizes I reckon are just a scaling thing. Same design but 40% (or whatever) bigger.
LBH
Seething Ship Designer
Oh my god! You fools! I clearly stated FEET on the plans! Not METRES!!! Just look at this command chair! The captain is going to need a stepladder to get into it!!!
Oh... no... please tell me you didn't make the same mistake when you added the toilets.... :shock:
frobisher
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby frobisher » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:27 pm

mthomason wrote:Seething Ship Designer
Oh my god! You fools! I clearly stated FEET on the plans! Not METRES!!! Just look at this command chair! The captain is going to need a stepladder to get into it!!!
Oh... no... please tell me you didn't make the same mistake when you added the toilets.... :shock:
"Naw problem mateyboy, you justa got youselves a jacuzzi deck fora free, init?"
Paddy Sinclair

Eomer
Shrew

Postby Eomer » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:55 pm

frobisher wrote:"Naw problem mateyboy, you justa got youselves a jacuzzi deck fora free, init?"
a Harry Enfield fan i take it :?: :lol:
frobisher
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby frobisher » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:01 pm

Eomer wrote:a Harry Enfield fan i take it :?: :lol:
A little bit - I think I've been watching far too many property development programmes lately; A lot of the buildrs in those could have been played by Mr Enfield...
Paddy Sinclair