Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
msprange
Site Admin
Posts: 14304
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby msprange » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:57 pm

Two things we wanted to let Lone Wolf fans know about...

First up, softback versions of the solo gamebooks are on their way, starting in September, and following a book a month thereafter. These will be available by mail order and via hobby distribution.

Second, we have started to withdraw the collector's hardbacks from sale to make way for them. Volumes 3, 4, 5, 10, 15, and 16 have already been withdrawn, and the rest will be following soon. From that point, they will only be available as a part of the various megadeals.

If you are after a copy of any of the hardbacks, we can only suggest that you act as quickly as possible. If you are after one that has already been withdrawn, drop me a line at msprange@mongoosepublishing.com, and we will work something out with you - don't worry, we won't leave you in the lurch!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose
Posts: 19697
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:27 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby lastbesthope » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:45 pm

And will the paperbacks be free of the errors that plagued the hardbacks?

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
Cal Phoenix
Cub
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby Cal Phoenix » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:02 am

If you have already purchased a mega deal, will we still receive the hardcover editions of books 18 and on?
msprange
Site Admin
Posts: 14304
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby msprange » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:20 am

Cal Phoenix wrote:If you have already purchased a mega deal, will we still receive the hardcover editions of books 18 and on?
Of course.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
RatedRWolf
Weasel
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:12 am
Location: Italy

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby RatedRWolf » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:41 am

I have a question too. With the CE withdrawn and reserved to Megadealer's, what will future paperbacks include? Only the main adventure or the bonus adventure? Some years ago you stated that the paperbacks wouldn't have any bonus adventure inside, because this was what made the CE "collectible" in some sense, but now that the scenario has deeply changed I hope the paperbacks will show exactly the same content of the CEs...
Oiseau
Weasel
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby Oiseau » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:08 pm

And, will it still be possible for non-Megadealers to purchase hardcover books 17-28 when/if they come out ?
Eternalknight
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 11:35 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby Eternalknight » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:05 pm

Email sent Matt. I missed 15 and am worried I won't be able to get it now!
Coming soon: Adventurer, Solo Roleplaying Game

www.adventuregamesguild.com
WritingWolf
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:37 am
Location: Varetta, Norwich same difference!

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby WritingWolf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:27 pm

Just to echo Oiseau on that one Matt - I'm not a Megadealer (never had that amount of cash available all at once) so I've purchased all the hardbacks as they have come out. Are the unpublished ones gonna come out as a hardback first for awhile and then withdrawn with the paperback coming out a few months later?
msprange
Site Admin
Posts: 14304
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby msprange » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:52 am

WritingWolf wrote:Just to echo Oiseau on that one Matt - I'm not a Megadealer (never had that amount of cash available all at once) so I've purchased all the hardbacks as they have come out. Are the unpublished ones gonna come out as a hardback first for awhile and then withdrawn with the paperback coming out a few months later?
That is correct. You may need to be quick, but they will all be available on their own for a while at least.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Ningauble
Weasel
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:03 pm
Location: Göteborg, Sweden

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby Ningauble » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:26 pm

msprange wrote:First up, softback versions of the solo gamebooks are on their way, starting in September, and following a book a month thereafter. These will be available by mail order and via hobby distribution.
You just made my week! :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
WritingWolf
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:37 am
Location: Varetta, Norwich same difference!

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby WritingWolf » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:40 pm

Thanks for that Matt - I'll keep an eye out for them!
RatedRWolf
Weasel
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:12 am
Location: Italy

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby RatedRWolf » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:02 am

I would be grateful if I had an answer about the contents of the paperbacks... :wink:
msprange
Site Admin
Posts: 14304
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby msprange » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:59 am

The paperbacks will not have bonus adventures - there is no reason for the softbacks to have them.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
RatedRWolf
Weasel
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:12 am
Location: Italy

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby RatedRWolf » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:13 am

msprange wrote:The paperbacks will not have bonus adventures - there is no reason for the softbacks to have them.
Well, you can say YOU have good reasons not to put them in the paperbacks (I respect it, although I have a different opinion), but I'd never say something like that. Italian paperbacks, which unfortunately stopped at number 4, had them, could we say there was no reason? Even now that le CEs have ben drastically limited, could you say that there's still a reason to make paperbacks so different from (and less interesting than) CEs?

The only thing I can say is good luck. I'm quite pessimistic, but good luck anyway. :)
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose
Posts: 8762
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:58 am
Location: Kettering UK
Contact:

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby Greg Smith » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:42 am

There reasons I stopped buying the collectors editions were (in order):

1. The price.
2. The cost of postage from Mongoose (the only supplier) - which is still the price.
3. The mistakes.

The only reason I would buy the paperbacks would be the bonus adventure. I already have at least one version of each in paperback.
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
RatedRWolf
Weasel
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:12 am
Location: Italy

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby RatedRWolf » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:44 pm

I completely agree and that's why I'm not optimistic about it: CEs are much more expensive than they should (30$!), and many potential customers simply cannot afford the price, but could really choose to take advantage of a complete paperback edition. Nevertheless, a simple reprint of a 20 year old book (yes, there are some little changes, but how many? very very few, and the more you go on with the series, the less they are) is completely unuseful for the old fans, imho, and which new fan can they attract?

Not including the bonus adventures in the books, if maybe not a fiasco, would be at least a wasted opportunity.
msprange
Site Admin
Posts: 14304
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby msprange » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:56 pm

RatedRWolf wrote:Italian paperbacks, which unfortunately stopped at number 4, had them, could we say there was no reason?
Well, the fact they stopped at Book 4 is an indication as to why...
RatedRWolf wrote:CEs are much more expensive than they should (30$!),
I am afraid they are not - they are cheaper than they should be. We make very little on the CEs and, when you factor in time needed for editing, layout and art, nothing.

You will still have a chance to pick up the CEs when they come out, we are just not going to keep them in print forever. With paperbacks, we can do that, but something else has to give - in this case, book length.

At the end of the day, we either have to change what we are doing, or say there will be no more Lone Wolf books - and we don't want there to be no more Lone Wolf books...
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
RatedRWolf
Weasel
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:12 am
Location: Italy

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby RatedRWolf » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:09 pm

msprange wrote:
RatedRWolf wrote:Italian paperbacks, which unfortunately stopped at number 4, had them, could we say there was no reason?
Well, the fact they stopped at Book 4 is an indication as to why...
They clearly stopped because there was no reason to reprint the whole series without any insurance of seeing it completed with the last four books, and probably the lenght of the project has been another important factor.

I believe you when you say the CEs are cheaper than they should, and I'm sure you aren't making huge amounts of money on them, but we must calculate it with our wallets: 30$ for a (more or less) 20 years old reprinted book are far more than a 2012 standard purchaser can spend. I'm sad to see my collection stopped with book 12, but I'm not sure I'll buy paperbacks without bonus adventures, and it seems I'm not the only one. If at least there were some sort of convenient 13-20 Megadeal...
msprange
Site Admin
Posts: 14304
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby msprange » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:27 pm

RatedRWolf wrote:
They clearly stopped because there was no reason to reprint the whole series without any insurance of seeing it completed with the last four books, and probably the lenght of the project has been another important factor.[/quote]

Well, those are two possible reasons. There is another...
RatedRWolf wrote: I believe you when you say the CEs are cheaper than they should, and I'm sure you aren't making huge amounts of money on them, but we must calculate it with our wallets:
Which is why we try to reach a balance - it is not as if we are sitting behind pots of money, illicit gains from hawking solo gamebooks...

Incidentally, I am not sure why you think you cannot collect books beyond Book 12 - they will all eventually be made available for megadeals only, but there will be a good time when they will be available for everyone. And if you are after one or more of the books that have already been withdrawn, get hold of me straight away (msprange@mongoosepublishing.com). We kept some back specifically for those of you who may have missed a volume or two...
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
WritingWolf
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:37 am
Location: Varetta, Norwich same difference!

Re: Lone Wolf - New Books and Old

Postby WritingWolf » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi Matt

As long as the CEs keep coming (which it sounds like they will) then I'm happy - just let us know in advance so we can get a copy :D

Just out of curiosity, how long is each print run?

Thanks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests