Armor as healing?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
ReaperWolf
Weasel

Armor as healing?

Postby ReaperWolf » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:52 pm

I'm reasonably sure common sense should prevail here but when a character wears armor his Endurance increases by the armor value, have you ever witnessed a character low on Endurance donning armor to heal themselves? What if a character with 1 Endurance puts on a helm, gains the +2 Endurance then takes 2 Endurance. Technically the character has 1 Endurance at that point but what if the helm is knocked off by an enemy? The character suddenly loses 2 Endurance, is reduced to -1 Endurance (1-2 = -1) promptly keels over and dies. If memory serves Steve Jackson Games Car Wars worked in a similar manner.

I'm inclined to divide armor Endurance bonuses by 2 and simply subtracting this from any Endurance damage the character takes so long as the armor is worn.

>>ReaperWolf
SnowShadow
Banded Mongoose

Re: Armor as healing?

Postby SnowShadow » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:53 pm

Most players, and Project Aon, go by the ruling that as the character is not dead removing Armour will take the character down to a minimum of 1EP in these circumstances.
Lone Wolf House Rules here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=42027

Korlinium Scabbard - think of it as Sommerswerd's Fair Usage Policy.

Galdron Kyturai, "Kitty", Vakeros Bladerunner in Sidetracked-in-the-Stornlands
Pathwalker
Weasel

Postby Pathwalker » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:27 pm

What makes most sense to me is not adding the armour bonus to EP on a permanent basis. I see it as a temporary subtract-from-this-first while in combat kind of a bonus. Or, in other words, it doesn't add to your base endurance, but rather acts as a subtraction from the first damage suffered in each combat situation.
beowuuf
Banded Mongoose

Postby beowuuf » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:21 pm

I add the armour bonus to both. If you don't use up all the new EP before removing the armour, then you lose the balance of the EP. Otherwise, you only lose the maximum EP (and current EP) if it is above your max.

Putting on and off armour to heal is a metagame weirdness that is easy to rule against and sholuldn't force you to change the basic rules