Review: The Rangers

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
mthomason
Cosmic Mongoose

Review: The Rangers

Postby mthomason » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:51 pm

The Rangers, MGP 3346, August Hahn

Using the now standard 128-page sourcebook layout, this book contains enough material to make creating a Ranger campaign a breeze, or simply to give the GM more info than they'll ever need for NPC Rangers in their game.

A good portion of the beginning of the book is devoted to the history of the Anla'shok, including some very nice extrapolation on their creation by Valen and their involvement with Babylon 4 (plus stats for B4 after it's refit by the Minbari!). The chapter progresses to detail the Anla'shok throughout the ages, finishing off with what may come in a possible future.

The next chapter deals with who the Anla'shok are, what they do, why and how they do it. Details of their training are disclosed, and the graduation ceremony is covered also. Consistent with how the rest of the book doesn't automatically assume you're playing in "modem" times, the roster of the Anla'shok fleet for six different eras is presented. We also learn of Ranger protocols and ranks (with insignia artwork).

A Technology chapter covers weapons, equipment, and vehicles used by the Anla'shok. Yes, those long-awaited Ranger spacecraft stats are here, along with ground and air vehicles. This chapter includes a mixture of civilian vessels designed not to draw attention, customised Minbari warships, and enough White Star variants to warrant a book of their own (six, if you're counting, including the "Miniature White Star" Superheavy Fighter variant). Nearly 8 more pages (including a diagram) cover the interior of the White Stars.

Tuzanor, the City of Sorrows is mapped and detailed in the next chapter - one which covers sites important to the Rangers. The training world of Kaddora is presented, and we are introduced to the concept of Anla'shok Caches - secret equipment stores and refuges mysteriously seeded around the galaxy.

The penultimate chapter revises the Anla'shok Ranger class, and introduces the ISA Ranger, Denn'bok Master, Anla'shok Officer, Ranger-Infiltrator, and some new feats.

Finally, a small section helps GMs fit the Rangers into their game, either as background NPCs or in running a Ranger campaign.

This is a fantastic book full of long-awaited material. The amount of material detailing previous eras makes this a book you can happily take away and read just for the heck of it. Great work, August!
Eryx
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Eryx » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:27 pm

Sounds great! *Wonders where his pre-order copy is?*
A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the equality of his actions and the integrity of his intent.
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:39 pm

Can't wait until this gets into my local FLGS

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
Aramanthus
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Aramanthus » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:43 pm

Sounds pretty awesome!
Londo to Vir: "What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?"
EricRoss
Mongoose

Re: Review: The Rangers

Postby EricRoss » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:26 am

mthomason wrote:The Rangers, MGP 3346, August Hahn
...Consistent with how the rest of the book doesn't automatically assume you're playing in "modem" times, the roster of the Anla'shok fleet for six different eras is presented...The penultimate chapter revises the Anla'shok Ranger class, and introduces the ISA Ranger, Denn'bok Master, Anla'shok Officer, Ranger-Infiltrator, and some new feats...
all I can say is: sweet...Sweet...and SWEET!
can't wait to get one! :D
"If one listens more often then they speak, they often have their questions answered before they are asked"
Dek Soran-Jedi Master
qstor
Banded Mongoose

Postby qstor » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:24 pm

Yeah I pre ordered one too :)

Are the White Star stats different from the ones in the Minbari sourcebook?

Mike
"Hate is baggage. Life's too short to go around pissed off all the time" Edward Furlong - American History X
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:31 pm

Hopefully they'll at least have the White Star ACC/DEC stats corrected!

LBH

Mongoose Accolades
mthomason
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby mthomason » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:53 pm

qstor wrote: Are the White Star stats different from the ones in the Minbari sourcebook?
lastbesthope wrote:Hopefully they'll at least have the White Star ACC/DEC stats corrected!
The stats for the original White Star are the ones from the Minbari sourcebook with the addition of an EM Shield, plus the ACC/DEC stats have been corrected to 14 :)

The other variants in the book are the slightly ugpgraded WSC-2 (second production run), WSC-A (carrier for WSC-L/Nail/Shial fighters), WSG (Gunship), WSC-L (superheavy fighter variant), and WSC-O (Command Variant)

Re: Review: The Rangers

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:33 am

mthomason wrote:This is a fantastic book full of long-awaited material. The amount of material detailing previous eras makes this a book you can happily take away and read just for the heck of it. Great work, August!

How did you manage to get a copy mthomason? Since rangers doesn't seem to be out yet.
mthomason
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby mthomason » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:38 am

I had one on pre-order direct from Mongoose,, this was one I didn't want to wait for ... I guess I just got lucky if I got mine before the other pre-orders :)

Going on past experience retail copies will be out the middle of this month.
Defender
Shrew

Postby Defender » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:25 am

Nice. I'm definitely swiping this bad boy when it arrives at my FLGS. How's the interior/art? Any cool quotes or pieces of RP advice?

-Def.
qstor
Banded Mongoose

Postby qstor » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:17 pm

I pre ordered mine too. Hopefully it will come this weekend :)

EDIT: I just noticed that your in the UK hopefully it will make it across the pond soon :)

Mike
"Hate is baggage. Life's too short to go around pissed off all the time" Edward Furlong - American History X
mthomason
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby mthomason » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:24 pm

Interior art is up to the same standard as the rest of the B5 books, mostly stills from the show, but there's also a few of what I can only describe as "D&D Rulebook-style" line drawings of weapons and other items of Ranger equipment
qstor
Banded Mongoose

Postby qstor » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:17 pm

I got mine yesterday from UPS. :) Looks great.

I had one question, I guess for August or someone in the know :)

There was a reference to a Shadow vessal appearing at the Battle of the Line? Is this from another source or created for the book?

Just wondering..

thanks

Mike

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:28 pm

I ordered my copy a couple days ago, so hopefully I will have my copy soon.
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:52 pm

Mine should be at my FLGS waiting for me to collect it at the weekend (along with Crucible)

LBH

Mongoose Accolades
August
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby August » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:29 am

Thanks for the kind words, all. The Rangers is a book near and dear to my heart.

To answer the earlier question, the appearance of a Shadow vessel at the Battle of the Line is an extrapolation of matertial from JMS. It was never specifically stated as such but it is a logical deduction from certain pieces of source material.

-August
"This is a blanket apology to every god I can think of and all the ones I don't know. I have no idea what I did or in which life I did it, but I am really sorry. Ummm, my bad."
Aramanthus
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Aramanthus » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:14 am

I picked up mine today at my FLGS. It looks pretty impressive. Now we have to wait for the ISA source book!
Londo to Vir: "What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?"

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:23 pm

Mongoose August wrote:Thanks for the kind words, all. The Rangers is a book near and dear to my heart.
You're welcome August,

my words will be even kinder once I have my copy in my grubby little mitts!

:lol:

LBH
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:34 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Mongoose August wrote:Thanks for the kind words, all. The Rangers is a book near and dear to my heart.
You're welcome August,

my words will be even kinder once I have my copy in my grubby little mitts!

:lol:

LBH
Don't you just hate it when you think you're logged in . . . .

:oops:

LBH

Mongoose Accolades