Book 30: Dead in the Deep?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Eternalknight
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Book 30: Dead in the Deep?

Postby Eternalknight » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:43 am

I like the title :) Better than the title of the new Fighting Fantasy book anyway ;)
Coming soon: Adventurer, Solo Roleplaying Game

www.adventuregamesguild.com
Zorkaan
Stoat

Postby Zorkaan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Looking at the new map "The World of Magnamund", we can notice there's a deep trench in the Chai See called the "Chai Deep". As the events of LW29 will happen in Chai, we could suspect that the events of the next book could happen around and in the Chai Deep...

If not, well the Kraknalorg Chasm, with its colonies of Agarashi could be another good applicant.

Or the Chasm of Gorgoron in Dessi: after all, we learn in the Story so Far of LW 29 (published last year in S&P) that the Claw of Naar has not been destroyed yet by the Elder Magi after 18 years, and that the Eye of Agarash hidden in Pensei can be coupled with this artefact to increase its power. Perhaps the Nadziran in book 29 will finally manage to obtain the Eye of Agarash and will flee to Dessi to steal the Claw, then hide it in the Chasm of Gorgoron...

I can't wait to read those books!!!
WritingWolf
Banded Mongoose

Postby WritingWolf » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:47 pm

Hmm ... and I had assumed "the Deep" meant the sea. But a chasm seems a better idea.

And of course there is one chasm in particular where a legion of the dead are merely asleep ...
GreyLord
Shrew

Postby GreyLord » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:45 am

WritingWolf wrote:Hmm ... and I had assumed "the Deep" meant the sea. But a chasm seems a better idea.

And of course there is one chasm in particular where a legion of the dead are merely asleep ...
I thought the title indicated the sea as well...maybe it could refer to a chasm and sea. It could involve taking items back from Chai to Dessi?
Drake_NZ
Weasel

Postby Drake_NZ » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:06 am

An underwater adventure fighting undead - I love it! Just make sure to bring Ulnarius (even if is still damaged after book 27!)

As to progress, I appreciate Mongoose for all their efforts and expect they are going as fast as they can. Joe has obviously had health concerns and this has to come before his books.

We know that the book is very close to completion, but there is probably much to do in terms of polishing and playtesting etc (lets hope we don't get another pre-mongoose deathlord of ixia!!).

If I can wait a few more months for Diablo3 and a few more years for fabled lands 7 I'm happy to get book 29 whenever I can!! :)
SnowShadow
Banded Mongoose

Postby SnowShadow » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:29 am

That's if it takes place on Magnamund of course. We may even be off to the Plane of Darkness, Light (I hope, to find Grey Star?) or the Daziarn - Plane of water?

Dead may not even mean Undead, it might refer to a dead magic zone or perhaps the New Order Grand Master is missing, presumed dead - a bit like in the Omega Zone before Helmut Varken comes after you.
Lone Wolf House Rules here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=42027

Korlinium Scabbard - think of it as Sommerswerd's Fair Usage Policy.

Galdron Kyturai, "Kitty", Vakeros Bladerunner in Sidetracked-in-the-Stornlands
Zorkaan
Stoat

Postby Zorkaan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:40 am

SnowShadow wrote:(I hope, to find Grey Star?)
SPOIL: Grey Star has been found between LW28 and LW29 according to the Story so Far of LW29: he even helped to build the new Kai Monastery in the Isle of Lorn.
But yes, LW30 could also be in another plane.
GreyLord wrote: I thought the title indicated the sea as well...maybe it could refer to a chasm and sea. It could involve taking items back from Chai to Dessi?
SPOIL: According to Glory and Greed (I can't wait to read the sequel of this novel too!!!), the network of subterranean caverns and tunnels under Magnamund are very, very vast, and very, very populated...
Why not traveling underground from Chai Deep or Kraknalorg Chasm in Southern Magnamund to Dessi's Gorgoron Chasm in Northern Magnamund? It's probably entirely an Agarashi domain, perhaps the vastest one, and it could provide a very hard and long challenge even for a Kai Grand Master!
SnowShadow
Banded Mongoose

Postby SnowShadow » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:06 am

Zorkaan wrote:
SnowShadow wrote:(I hope, to find Grey Star?)
SPOIL: Grey Star has been found between LW28 and LW29 according to the Story so Far of LW29: he even helped to build the new Kai Monastery in the Isle of Lorn.
Must re-read that then - I didn't know that Grey Star had been found (thanks!) or that the new Monastery had been built yet.

I can see it now Magnamund-reality-TV's DIY horror story this week comes from the Isle of Lorn...
Grey Star "I like what you've done with the place."
Lone Wolf "Thanks, when we started there were these horrible black blobs everywhere!"

SnowShadow
Banded Mongoose

Postby SnowShadow » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:13 am

Zorkaan wrote:Or the Chasm of Gorgoron in Dessi.
You could be right - just looked at Bk 29 Story so far -

-5101: Shortly after the celebration of the Fehmarn, the Chasm of Gorgoron is shaken by earthquakes for weeks. When the earthquakes finally stops, the jungle of Dessi is swarming with Agarashi.

Zorkaan
Stoat

Postby Zorkaan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:19 am

SnowShadow wrote:
Zorkaan wrote:Or the Chasm of Gorgoron in Dessi.
You could be right - just looked at Bk 29 Story so far -
-5101: Shortly after the celebration of the Fehmarn, the Chasm of Gorgoron is shaken by earthquakes for weeks. When the earthquakes finally stops, the jungle of Dessi is swarming with Agarashi.
Exciting, isn't it?
Derje Boven
Cub

Postby Derje Boven » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:33 am

Copy-paste :
5089 [...] : Lone Wolf travelled to the Isle of Lorn. Assisted by Grey Star and Guildmaster Banedon, he made plans for the construction of a second Kai Monastery.
Signs & Portents 87 : Lone Wolf 29 Timeline & The Story So Far
Zorkaan
Stoat

Postby Zorkaan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:36 am

This Story so Far is a gold-mine!
SnowShadow
Banded Mongoose

Postby SnowShadow » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:08 am

Heh you could just go on and on...

Dead in the Deep
"1"

You rise early and to meet Supreme Master Lone Wolf in the Tower of the Sun. Guildmaster Banedon, Gwynian the Sage and Lord Rimoah are there waiting for your appearance. Your Magnakai sense of Divination starts to tingle in anticipation of a new quest as the three offer you gifts.

Banedon is the first, he has fully repaired your Kai Weapon and had the dwarves hone it using special techniques - it now adds +6CS (and the special property does an extra +1CS). As he hands it to you you note it is in a Korlinium Scabbard.

Rimoah offers you a Dessi Stone, when placed in your Wepaon it will inflict Double Damage against Undead.

Gwynian gives you a Platinum Amulet.

Lone Wolf enters with a concerned look on his face.

"Let me guess you wish me to undertake a mission of great importance," you say.

"Indeed my lord, your powers of Divination are growing stronger," Lone Wolf nods approvingly. "A recent series of tremendously powerful earthquakes have rocked the Chasm of Gorgoron in distant Dessi. Since then hordes of Agarashi have poured forth causing chaos and destruction."

"...And you wish me to go to Dessi and take care of it." You say.

"Oh no," says Gwynian. "We need you to go to Kaag..."

"...To retrieve the hide of Nyxator..." Continues Banedon.

"...And take it deep underground to the Earth's Core, find the skeleton of that great dragon and return it to him..." Says Rimoah gravely.

"...So that his spirit will be at peace and these earthquakes stop." Finishes Lone Wolf. "I want to go to Dessi, it's not often I'm allowed to use the Sommerswerd these days."

The Supreme Master sends a baleful look at Banedon

"The Korlinium Scabbard was for your own protection!" The wizard protests...

.......................................................................................................................

Dead = Nyxator!
Deep = Earth's Core?

:wink:

Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:37 am

What section do I turn to?

Only 349 more to go!

I can't wait! I want more!
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
SnowShadow
Banded Mongoose

Postby SnowShadow » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:55 am

If you wish to go to Kaag turn to 2
If you possess the Grand Master Discipline of Deliverance and have reached the Rank of Sun Thane you may use this instead to Exorcise Nyxator's spirit, turn to 350.

As you return to the Kai Monastery you are again greeted by the four who sent you on your quest.
Gwynian is holding yet another Platinum Amulet, Banedon is holding a Wooly Hat, and Rimoah has a pair of Skis.

"Let me guess," you say turning to the Supreme Master "Either I just won a Winter vacation for two or you want me to go to Kalte..."

"Couldn't you come up with something more original, "Banedon says to Gwynian out of the corner of his mouth.

"Mine offers better protection," retorts the sage.

Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:09 pm

By Kai's beard, I knew I should have chosen Deliverance. *turns to 2* :)
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral