Lone Wolf Fantasy Battle rules

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Killer Katanas

LW fantasy battle

Postby Killer Katanas » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:35 pm

Winter Wolf wrote:
Anonymous wrote:There isn't much need to have boxed sets of all the armies. Dever created his world with historical counterparts.

For example, in the information he sent to me he said that the Summerlund army was based on 12th century English, The Euran were 13th century Italian, Lencian 13th century French and the Vassagonians were Ottoman Turks. These troops could be obtained from other historical lines. The BIG need is for Darklord stuff: Giaks, Drakkarim, Helghast, Gourgaz, Kraan, Doomwolves, dark magicians and also the kingdom of Bor.

Brian
I agree that there are good models to represent may of the 'historical' armies that form an important part of LW I did a bit of research a couple of months ago, I even managed to find some nice 15mm Eskimos for ice barbarians. I don't know if this would encourage Mongoose or not it does mean that they could probably approach a third party mini producer and sort out a rebadge very quickly. I agree with you one hundred percent on the availability of good fantasy proxies for Magnamunds more unusual types. The 15mm goblins and orcs that I have seen just don't cut it as Giaks and I haven't been able to find anything that works as Drakkarim either. The pictures of Drakkarim in the Darklands with very skull like helmets have really grown on me and that is the kind of thing I would like to see for a Drakkarim force. Bor is the same, no 15mm dwarves with guns.

Yes, the main area of need is definitely bad guys. For years I have looked for suitable smaller scale figures to represent giaks, doomwolf riders, Drakkarim (death knights) and several others. There isn't anything suitable out there--goblins on wolf figures do not look like giaks.

Personally my grudge with 25/28mm is the cost. I can get approximately 4 to 8 15mm figures for every 25/28mm figure. I also do not paint, so I contract most of my work out. I pay anywhere from $1.50-$3.00 for a 15mm paint job, it is about $4.00-$6.00 for a 25/28mm.

I'd welcome any rules, converting to a particular scale is no problem. In my KK rules It was written for 15mm, but for 25/28mm you just double all distances and for 6mm use centimeters. That solves the need to print up extra charts and allows all collectors to play with any scale miniatures they have.

However, given that MP has a 28mm line of LW out it would be reasonable to continue it. I have to say that the large size and potential cost has made me not buy any. I still hope for a smaller scale.

I would not be interested in any skirmish stuff--I'm a battle man and if I don't have a table covering with minis I get grumpy!

An alternative to us that wish a smaller scale is to use Eureka Miniatures P300 plan. We'd have to get consent, but any figure can be made there if there is at least 600 preordered and 12 interested persons. The figure would then be made with at least 3-4 variations--good way to make the giaks and deathknights.

Brian
Winter Wolf
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 7:30 am
Location: Yorkshire

Re: LW fantasy battle

Postby Winter Wolf » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:16 am

Killer Katanas wrote:Yes, the main area of need is definitely bad guys. For years I have looked for suitable smaller scale figures to represent giaks, doomwolf riders, Drakkarim (death knights) and several others. There isn't anything suitable out there--goblins on wolf figures do not look like giaks.

Personally my grudge with 25/28mm is the cost. I can get approximately 4 to 8 15mm figures for every 25/28mm figure. I also do not paint, so I contract most of my work out. I pay anywhere from $1.50-$3.00 for a 15mm paint job, it is about $4.00-$6.00 for a 25/28mm.
Matt did mention in the first post that some of the minis could well be plastic, probably rank and file that would reduce the cost a bit.
Killer Katanas wrote:I'd welcome any rules, converting to a particular scale is no problem. In my KK rules It was written for 15mm, but for 25/28mm you just double all distances and for 6mm use centimeters. That solves the need to print up extra charts and allows all collectors to play with any scale miniatures they have.

However, given that MP has a 28mm line of LW out it would be reasonable to continue it. I have to say that the large size and potential cost has made me not buy any. I still hope for a smaller scale.

I would not be interested in any skirmish stuff--I'm a battle man and if I don't have a table covering with minis I get grumpy!


I enjoy playing big battles with lots of minis but I enjoy smaller scenarios too. I find sometimes the only way I will get a game is to play a themed game with 12-15 minis. It's also a good way of getting people into the hobby especially from the Role-playing camp.
Killer Katanas wrote:An alternative to us that wish a smaller scale is to use Eureka Miniatures P300 plan. We'd have to get consent, but any figure can be made there if there is at least 600 preordered and 12 interested persons. The figure would then be made with at least 3-4 variations--good way to make the giaks and deathknights.

Brian
This sounds like a good solution if you could get the 12 people together that would be 50 minis each of each in mighty armies speak that would translate to 12 stands each which is a lot. If Mongoose don't do anything with a battle game depending on cost I would be interested in this. My initial interest in 15mm came about because I didn't think there would be a miniature game and as you say there a tons of historical figures out there that you could put armies together with. I would say give mongoose a few months but if we don't hear anything in that time then it may be worth putting this idea forward on Tower Of The Sun to see if enough people could be found.

As far as permissions I would think that if Giaks were produced as skinny "Goblins" and Drakkarim are produced as "Evil Knights" there would be no issue.

But I would give Mongoose some time to come up with something I would hate to shoot an official 28mm Lone Wolf battle game out of the water through impatience.

Kind Regard WW
Winter Wolf
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 7:30 am
Location: Yorkshire

Postby Winter Wolf » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:50 am

Brian

The Eureka 18mm man orcs look about right for Giaks if the scale isn't out. :)
Killer Katanas

Re: LW fantasy battle

Postby Killer Katanas » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:27 pm

This sounds like a good solution if you could get the 12 people together that would be 50 minis each of each in mighty armies speak that would translate to 12 stands each which is a lot. If Mongoose don't do anything with a battle game depending on cost I would be interested in this. My initial interest in 15mm came about because I didn't think there would be a miniature game and as you say there a tons of historical figures out there that you could put armies together with. I would say give mongoose a few months but if we don't hear anything in that time then it may be worth putting this idea forward on Tower Of The Sun to see if enough people could be found.

As far as permissions I would think that if Giaks were produced as skinny "Goblins" and Drakkarim are produced as "Evil Knights" there would be no issue.

But I would give Mongoose some time to come up with something I would hate to shoot an official 28mm Lone Wolf battle game out of the water through impatience.

Kind Regard WW[/quote]

Only problem with Eureka is that they are slow to move. I have had similar P300's done for 15mm Sikhs and Paraguayans--I gathered all the support, but many are not willing to hand over $$ on a preorder when there is no guarantee that the figure will come out. There has to be 12 registered preording people with a grand total of 600 minis--actually, if it was Giaks and Drakkarim I'd be good for about 300 of each.

Keep in mind though that all P300's hhave to meet the above requirements. Having a P300 for Kraan or helghast would not make it because I seriously doubt that there will be enough ordered to meet 600. However, things like Giaks on foot and on Doomwolves, plus Drakkarim foot and Zagganozod (Medium/heavy cavalry) are ones to consider since they are core elements in an army.

If MP does not come out with a game I am still willing to convert my KK rules over to the Magnamund world--given that there is interest.

Brian
Winter Wolf
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 7:30 am
Location: Yorkshire

Re: LW fantasy battle

Postby Winter Wolf » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:36 am

Killer Katanas wrote:If MP does not come out with a game I am still willing to convert my KK rules over to the Magnamund world--given that there is interest.

Brian
I'd be interested in that if we don't see something else. Please PM me when your new rules are released.

Thanks WW.
arathar

Postby arathar » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:09 am

I would also be interested, have you got any statistics, or army lists? Thank you very much
mortis52

Postby mortis52 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:24 pm

Does anyone remember the miniature battle of the sacking of the monasteries in the old Lone Wolf/Greystar? sourcebook. I think they were citidel miniatures too.
columbob
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:55 pm
Location: Québec

Postby columbob » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:15 pm

mortis52 wrote:Does anyone remember the miniature battle of the sacking of the monasteries in the old Lone Wolf/Greystar? sourcebook. I think they were citidel miniatures too.
I'm not sure that they were, those miniatures were part of Joe Dever's personal collection.
Citadel didn't do too many different miniatures for LW.

I believe you can see pictures of the old miniatures on the pages of Stuff of Legends:

www.solegends.com/
Up the Irons!
Winter Wolf
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 7:30 am
Location: Yorkshire

Postby Winter Wolf » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:08 pm

mortis52 wrote:Does anyone remember the miniature battle of the sacking of the monasteries in the old Lone Wolf/Greystar? sourcebook. I think they were citidel miniatures too.
Some of them probably were. Below is a link to another thread where Greg Smith a member of these boards was telling us about his experiences at one of Joe's battle days there are some pictures as well and quite a few of the none Lone Wolf models look like old citadel ones I spotted some of the old ranger models and some Chaos Knights.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB ... c&start=15

I think that the new Mongoose models are real nice though and I hope they do stack more.
Killer Katanas

LW Fantasy Battle

Postby Killer Katanas » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:51 am

arathar wrote:I would also be interested, have you got any statistics, or army lists? Thank you very much
No, not really. The only armies I could do adequately would be Giak, Drakkar, Lencia and Euran, since that was what I was asking Dever information for when I was doing my Cetza project back in the early 90's.

My proposal to Dever to do a LW fantasy battle supplement was back in 1998. Since Dever didn't have the time I dropped the idea and didn't develope my ideas futher. I'd need his assistance to make the armies and list historical for his world.

Brian
columbob
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:55 pm
Location: Québec

Re: LW Fantasy Battle

Postby columbob » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:00 pm

Killer Katanas wrote: No, not really. The only armies I could do adequately would be Giak, Drakkar, Lencia and Euran, since that was what I was asking Dever information for when I was doing my Cetza project back in the early 90's.

Brian
BTW, it's Eruan.
Up the Irons!
User avatar
Eternalknight
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 11:35 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: LW Fantasy Battle

Postby Eternalknight » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:27 pm

columbob wrote:
Killer Katanas wrote: No, not really. The only armies I could do adequately would be Giak, Drakkar, Lencia and Euran, since that was what I was asking Dever information for when I was doing my Cetza project back in the early 90's.

Brian
BTW, it's Eruan.
Picky picky! :P
Winter Wolf
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 7:30 am
Location: Yorkshire

Postby Winter Wolf » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:01 am

After all of the talk about which Magnamund army is best else where on the forum I thought I would throw it out to the rest of you to see what army you would like to see released for the battle game. I would think that the first two are a no brainer Darklands and Sommerlund. But after that what would evryone else like to see.

I would like Vassagonia and Bor. Vassagonia because they seem to have a wide range of capabilities and I would like to refight the battle of Raunon and Gnaags campaign. The dwarves because of the fantastic model Mongoose produced of a dwarven gunner in full plate lets have some more of these please.
arathar

Postby arathar » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:13 pm

Durenor, I think.
Guest

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:40 am

Winter Wolf wrote:After all of the talk about which Magnamund army is best else where on the forum I thought I would throw it out to the rest of you to see what army you would like to see released for the battle game. I would think that the first two are a no brainer Darklands and Sommerlund. But after that what would evryone else like to see.

I would like Vassagonia and Bor. Vassagonia because they seem to have a wide range of capabilities and I would like to refight the battle of Raunon and Gnaags campaign. The dwarves because of the fantastic model Mongoose produced of a dwarven gunner in full plate lets have some more of these please.
I don't think Vassagonia is a good choice because they are based on Ottoman Turks and these are easily gotten via historical lines. Even much of the other armies are based on historical armies. What would be needed first would be those troops that are not based off of any historical counterpart.

Darklords are definitely in that list as well as Bor, and I'd say Ice barbarians too. Shaadaki armies possibly.

Brian
User avatar
Balgin Stondraeg
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: Hampsire, England, United Kingdom

Postby Balgin Stondraeg » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:56 pm

Greg Smith wrote:Oooo! On the one hand I have too many unpainted minis and the likelyhood of actually playing it more then a few times would be small. :? But it's Lone Wolf and I gotta own it! :)

So that's a definite maybe from me. :D
On a related note...

Wargames generally sell better than roleplaying games. Wargames also help to get wargamers interested in the roleplaying games (so people who weren't aware of the roleplaying game might notice the wargame and discover the rpg through that).

Also a Lone Wolf wargame would need a wider variety of miniatures than the current Lone Wolf range and as such would provide us (the paying public) with a lot of models for use with the rpg which could also be used for tabletop stuff (and dual purpose models which can be used in many games are always better than those rare miniatures which are so game and setting specific as to be almost exclusively so).

Also there's almost no suitable models out there for Ice Warriors of Kalte (I'm looking to do some heavy convertions sometime soon).
I went to check the newsletters, and it seems the original LW Fantasy Battles game was supposed to be released in April of 1994.
Gary Chalk (and one of the other Lone Wolf artists( published a tabletop battle game called Fantasy Warlords sometime in the mid to late 90's. It had it's own setting but could've probably be adapted to fit Magnamund (and it used mostly recycled Lone Wolf art in it's rulebook). Could that be what you're thinking of?
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.
User avatar
Balgin Stondraeg
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: Hampsire, England, United Kingdom

Postby Balgin Stondraeg » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:29 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Winter Wolf wrote:I'd be happy with some Mighty army boxed sets but not just two. I'd like to see for a start.

Darklords(Giaks,helghast, doomwolves, kraan)
Drakkarim.
Sommelending.
Vassagonian.

There isn't much need to have boxed sets of all the armies. Dever created his world with historical counterparts.

For example, in the information he sent to me he said that the Summerlund army was based on 12th century English, The Euran were 13th century Italian, Lencian 13th century French and the Vassagonians were Ottoman Turks. These troops could be obtained from other historical lines. The BIG need is for Darklord stuff: Giaks, Drakkarim, Helghast, Gourgaz, Kraan, Doomwolves, dark magicians and also the kingdom of Bor.

Brian
Tom Meier's 30 mm armoured goblins with spears and shields make almost perfect giaks (IMO).
columbob wrote:
mortis52 wrote:Does anyone remember the miniature battle of the sacking of the monasteries in the old Lone Wolf/Greystar? sourcebook. I think they were citidel miniatures too.
I'm not sure that they were, those miniatures were part of Joe Dever's personal collection.
Citadel didn't do too many different miniatures for LW.

I believe you can see pictures of the old miniatures on the pages of Stuff of Legends:

www.solegends.com/
Many of the models in that photo are recognisable from old Citadel catalogs (the Empire & Bretonnian footknights of the 80's).
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.
columbob
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:55 pm
Location: Québec

Postby columbob » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:26 pm

Balgin Stondraeg wrote:
I went to check the newsletters, and it seems the original LW Fantasy Battles game was supposed to be released in April of 1994.
Gary Chalk (and one of the other Lone Wolf artists( published a tabletop battle game called Fantasy Warlords sometime in the mid to late 90's. It had it's own setting but could've probably be adapted to fit Magnamund (and it used mostly recycled Lone Wolf art in it's rulebook). Could that be what you're thinking of?
Nope, it's a different game that Joe was working on but which fell by the wayside apparently. If you go to Project Aon and read the old newsletters from the mid-90s, you'll see what I was talking about.
Up the Irons!
Winter Wolf
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 7:30 am
Location: Yorkshire

Postby Winter Wolf » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:31 pm

I don't know if Mongoose are planning on doing anything with the battle game. If I thought that they would I would'nt post alternative minis. These orcs by vendel are a good match for giaks in my opinion. There are even some wolf riders and you can buy the wolves seperately.

Vendel Orcs

See also Gripping Beast for

Later Crusades Good for Sommelending or Durenese.

Armies Of Islam and Moors Vassagonia.

Just some extra thoughts...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests