[CONAN] Diabled

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

[CONAN] Diabled

Postby Supplement Four » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:38 am

I have an idea for a character to remain disabled longer. Doesn't it seem kinda strange that it only happens when damage = hp?

This idea goes hand-in-hand with something Gygax said in the 1E DMG: that the first few negative hit points represent an imparied character rather than an unconsciou one.

Over the years and editions, this idea has gotten watered down into 0 = unconscious (or the variant in the case of Conan).

Now, I wanted a House Rule that didn't steal the Diehard Feat's thunder, and I don't think this does.

Here's what I'm thinking:

When a character is reduced to -1 hit points or below, he recieves a Fort save. The DC of the save is equal to the number of negative hit points x 5. Thus, a -1 HP, the save is at a DC 5. At -2 HP, the save is DC 10. At -3 HP, the save is DC 15, and so on.

Those with the Diehard Feat are immune to this save and can, of course, choose to be disabled.

Thoughts?
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:32 pm

Nialldubh wrote:Was thinking, that the Save maybe a bit low...
I'm used to 1st level characters. Maybe I need to consider how high a 6th level character can throw a save, on average.

I thought 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 would be pretty good numbers. Thus, if a character is knocked down to -4 by a blow, it's a DC 20 Fort save. That seems pretty strong, right?

If he makes roll he act as if disable ?
Yep.
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:21 am

Nialldubh wrote:Still S4, once you get to -6hp, the DC is 30, even if you ever used a 20th lvl Character with a Fort of +12, the highest it can get and a good Con of 22 giving +6, they are in a lot of difficulty making the roll, they will need to roll 12+
That's the idea. I only want the first few points (say, -1 to -3 or so) to represent being disabled most of the time.

If a player wants a better chance, there's the Diehard Feat they can get.

I presume you not want it easy in the -5 to -9 range as that close to death, so lower DC at -1 or -2 is acceptable and give more chance of a Disable effect happening!

You Could use the Base DC as 12 +1 per -1, but that would mean -9 would be only be DC21.
The 5 points per system seems closer to what I want, and it's an easy to remember rule. I think it fits well.

I don't want to weaking the Diehard Feat.
Kev
Mongoose

Postby Kev » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:23 am

Supplement Four wrote:That's the idea. I only want the first few points (say, -1 to -3 or so) to represent being disabled most of the time.

If a player wants a better chance, there's the Diehard Feat they can get.
I brought this little option up with my group last Sunday. They all seemed to think it a pretty good idea. We're gonna roll with it for a couple of sessions and see how it plays.

Thanks for the idea, S4.
Alea iacta est
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:54 am

Cool. I'd like to hear how it plays. I haven't had a chance yet in my group to try it out.