[CONAN] The sideways spear....

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

[CONAN] The sideways spear....

Postby Supplement Four » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:21 pm

I'm thinking that a staff, gripped in the middle so that a warrior can swing right or left with it, should be used as if the character were using a weapon in each hand. A full round action would allow two attacks using the normal two-hand weapon rules.

Agreed?

So, what about a one-handed hunting spear or any weapon that is about the same length and not overly weighted on one end or the other (as most of the long weapons are with big, heavy blades on one end).

The Hunting Spear is fairly balanced since it is normally gripped mid-shaft and used one-handed.

Don't you think that a warrior should be able to grip the spear like a staff and use it with the two-weapon rules?

I tend to think so, but at lowered damage because the spear is no longer using it's point to hit. The hunting spear is a 1d8 weapon. I'm thinking, if used as described as a staff, then it should deliver either 1d4 or 1d3 points of damage (and I lean towards 1d3 + STR mod per blow).

Thoughts?
kintire
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby kintire » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:01 pm

I wouldn't get too focussed on how a weapon is used. Weapons are much more flexible objects than many roleplaying games seem to believe: as Niall syas, spear techniques already include use of the shaft and butt. That d8 damage does not necessarily mean you've stabbed someone with the tip, at any rate not as your first move!
Nyarly
Weasel

Postby Nyarly » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:14 pm

About the staff:

In 3.x D&D a staff has no reach, but is a double weapon.

In Conan a staff has reach, but isn't a double weapon.

It seems a bit strange by the rules to allow a reach weapon to be used as a double weapon, the length makes it a bit unwieldy.

On the other hand, I have no problems to imagine that a staff is used just like that. Maybe you can make a rule that a staff can be used either a reach weapon or as a double weapon, but not both at the same time. And switching between the two modes should be very fast, most likely a swift action.
Iä ! Iä ! Nyarly fhtagn !
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:00 am

Nialldubh wrote:True Nyarly, I rule that weapon is used as 3.x in Conan with a two-weapon Combat style and also as reach as user can slide the pole through his hands much like snooker player may do and thrust it at opponent!
I thought about doing that, but there is a Combat Maneuver called Long Reach in the Barbaric Warrior supplement that takes care of it. Prerequisite is Martial Weapon Proficiency and BAB +4.
kintire
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby kintire » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:57 pm

markrusell
Shrew

Postby markrusell » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:10 am

Well Weapons are much more flexible things than numerous roleplaying sport appear to believe: as Niall syas, spear methods currently encompass use of the shaft and butt.