Simulationist Combat

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Simulationist Combat

Postby Supplement Four » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:31 pm

Simulationist Combat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which RPG has the most simulated combat?

You know what I mean....each throw of the dice represents a particular hit, not an abstraction.
thelevitator
Stoat

Postby thelevitator » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:04 am

I haven't played every RPG out there, but from my experience, nothing comes close to the detailed minutiae of Rolemaster. Don't get me wrong, I had fun, but more because of the players, NOT the system.

I'd give 2nd place to GURPS, which I also enjoy playing.

I've really gone away from systems with slow combat resolution, because I want what should be the most exciting part of the game (combat) to feel that way, as much as is possible, at the table. :)
Jotenbjorn
Mongoose

Postby Jotenbjorn » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:25 am

If I remember correctly 7th Sea did a pretty good job.
Looking for a game in Tempe, Az. E6 Conan ftw!

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/hyborian-steel - Still looking for players!
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:39 am

Several systems do each individual strike and parry and remain fast moving

D100 - Strombringer , Runequest etc
Unisystem - Buffy, Angel etc

7th Seas (we are playing a campaign of this at present) is still somewhat abstract in that an attack can represent a series of blows or moves.

I seem to recall Deadlands measuring each move....
Vortigern
Banded Mongoose

Re: Simulationist Combat

Postby Vortigern » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:40 pm

Supplement Four wrote:Simulationist Combat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which RPG has the most simulated combat?

You know what I mean....each throw of the dice represents a particular hit, not an abstraction.
MRQII is actually really good for this I believe.

And, from my reading of the text, seems like it would flow rather well and give a very tactical and gritty feel to combat in a game.
V/R,
Vortigern

"Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil."
kintire
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby kintire » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:02 pm

The most simulationist game as opposed to "extremely complicated and even less realistic" (See Rolemaster) is Riddle of Steel.

Caveat, I found it a bit TOO realistic for game continuity. I won't try to describe the system in a board post, but lets just say that those people who think Rolemaster or WHFRP are lethal comabt systems have seen nothing yet!
Vortigern
Banded Mongoose

Postby Vortigern » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:16 pm

kintire wrote:The most simulationist game as opposed to "extremely complicated and even less realistic" (See Rolemaster) is Riddle of Steel.

Caveat, I found it a bit TOO realistic for game continuity. I won't try to describe the system in a board post, but lets just say that those people who think Rolemaster or WHFRP are lethal comabt systems have seen nothing yet!
I'm not familiar with Rolemaster or WHFRP, mechanically speaking, but I do own the core rules for Riddle of Steel. I rather agree with your assessment, it is an extremely lethal and realistic combat system. I've never 'played' it, so I can't say how it flows... but, it is certainly simulationist.
V/R,
Vortigern

"Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil."