Grapple and Trip

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
treeplanter
Banded Mongoose

Grapple and Trip

Postby treeplanter » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Hello;

Just wondering how you guy would handle a trip attempt during a grapple?

it's not in the book, but it make sense that a character can attemp a trip while grappling. Maybe it should be reserved for character with improved trip. I would replace the melee attack with opposed grapple, and give +4 for improved grapple and +4 for imp. trip.

If you succed you're opponent is proned and you are not grappling anymore.

other tought?
Kill your ennemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women.
Clovenhoof
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Clovenhoof » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:14 pm

Ah, "rolling in mud and glass shards".

Here is what WotC writes on the matter:

Throw Your Foe to the Ground: This works just like a trip attack except that you don't make an initial touch attack (because you're grasping your foe already) and you and your foe make opposed grapple checks to resolve the trip attack. If you win, you and your foe fall prone in the space you both share, but you're still grappling. At your option you can take a -4 penalty on the opposed check; if you win you break your foe's hold on you and you throw your foe to the ground in a space adjacent to the space you formerly shared. (You stay on your feet.) Your foe's movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity, nor does it count against her movement for the current turn (or her next turn).

If you lose the opposed check, your foe gets a chance to trip you by making an opposed grapple check, just as described above.
Have I got a surprise for you. Come closer, I'll show you what it is.
Jotenbjorn
Mongoose

Postby Jotenbjorn » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:13 am

Throw Your Foe to the Ground yoinked.
Looking for a game in Tempe, Az. E6 Conan ftw!

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/hyborian-steel - Still looking for players!
Clovenhoof
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Clovenhoof » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:06 am

Ah, just for clarification, note that this is not a Feat or anything, but just a combat option that anyone can try while grappling.
Have I got a surprise for you. Come closer, I'll show you what it is.
treeplanter
Banded Mongoose

Postby treeplanter » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Ok I like it

so it's basicly opposed grapple check. I would give +4 to the guy with improved trip since it's a trip attempt. So +8 for imp. grapple and imp. trip.

thank you!
Kill your ennemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women.