Why is the game such low level?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
August
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby August » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:54 pm

Point of note, I do not believe I ~ever~ said characters should not get to high levels. That would be rediculous. I encourage people to play long and hard enough to reach the upper echelons of power. I only stated that the main characters will not get to 20th level (more than likely) before the end of the basic series run. Personally, I find that very satisfactory, and here's why:

If the main characters are the most powerful people (and things) in the galaxy, the bar is too high for Player Characters to ever take that slot for themselves. I want to make sure that it is well within the realm of possibility that a Player Character to be 'more powerful' than one of the named NPCs. I don't think I am wrong in that, and I believe most Games Masters and Players would agree with me.

As for a PPG not being a threat, I think we are arguing at cross purposes, since we both appreciate the Damage Threshhold rule- albiet for different reasons. Your math and charts were very nice and they illustrated your point well, so I am content to leave it at that.

I accede your point about -1 not being dead, but that was not my point. -1 is the serious potential for death, especially since few shots will actually leave a character at -1. While stabilizing works differently in Babylon 5, Medical Kits weight 2 lbs. and very few characters carry them, making outside assistance a DC 19 skill check. As such, ~any~ negative hit point value is direly life threatening.

-August
"This is a blanket apology to every god I can think of and all the ones I don't know. I have no idea what I did or in which life I did it, but I am really sorry. Ummm, my bad."
Babylon 5 Aide
Banded Mongoose

Postby Babylon 5 Aide » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:00 pm

Thank you Mongoose August I appriciate your replies. Please note I wasn't flaming, just trying to get to the reasoning. I appriciate the time you spent on the post.

I am still anxious to see the Earth Force book so that I can see if the character generation is fleshed out some... I have yet to find anyone in the groups I know that game personally that like not getting at least something every other level.

Any help on that one I would appriciate. :)
What do you mean you need a container marked 'Vorlon bacterial waste'? And you need it delievered where? Ok ok ok yeah I know someone that can make it happen...
KDLadage
Mongoose

Postby KDLadage » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:25 pm

Mongoose August wrote:Point of note, I do not believe I ~ever~ said characters should not get to high levels. That would be rediculous. I encourage people to play long and hard enough to reach the upper echelons of power. I only stated that the main characters will not get to 20th level (more than likely) before the end of the basic series run.
Ah... ok, I misunderstood the intent of your comments (on several occations). Consider that point scrubbed.
Mongoose August wrote:If the main characters are the most powerful people (and things) in the galaxy, the bar is too high for Player Characters to ever take that slot for themselves. I want to make sure that it is well within the realm of possibility that a Player Character to be 'more powerful' than one of the named NPCs. I don't think I am wrong in that, and I believe most Games Masters and Players would agree with me.
I agree with you.
Mongoose August wrote:As for a PPG not being a threat, I think we are arguing at cross purposes, since we both appreciate the Damage Threshhold rule- albiet for different reasons. Your math and charts were very nice and they illustrated your point well, so I am content to leave it at that.

I accede your point about -1 not being dead, but that was not my point. -1 is the serious potential for death, especially since few shots will actually leave a character at -1. While stabilizing works differently in Babylon 5, Medical Kits weight 2 lbs. and very few characters carry them, making outside assistance a DC 19 skill check. As such, ~any~ negative hit point value is direly life threatening.
Sure. 'Nuff said on this topic, then...

;)
"It really doesn't matter what I think. In the end, I'm just one of a million insignificant cogs, and the machine is going to do what it meant to do. No matter what."
- Capt. Robert P. Hickey, USN, Commanding Officer USS RANGER
psyclonejack
Banded Mongoose

Postby psyclonejack » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:40 am

Darn,

I go away for a weekend getaway and I miss a big debate complete with wayback machines that I very rarely get to use. . . well tripple poopie!
Hmm, guess I can just mutter from the back quietly about a few things, and hope the thread isn't dead. Thanks for Jumping in August. Always good to hear from the source, and all. :)
KDLadage wrote:First, a PPG deals 2d6 (x2 crit); so a crit will deal a maximum of 24 points. On average a crit will deal 14 points.
what? boggle?
Mongoose August wrote:Besides, the way I do my math, a 20th level soldier can take -4- critical hits from an Auricon PPG pistol (8 (2d8 damage) x 2 = 16 x 4 hits = 62 points of damage)
Okay, I was looking at the right damage after all. That generic PPG does 2d6. Thought I was loosing it.
Question: (since we are number crunching) In three seconds can't the 20th level soldier can get 12 attacks with his PPG rifle? (rapid fire)

If 8 is average damage from a PPG bolt, then if all 12 hit we would have in 3 seconds a avg. damage of 96. (Minimum-24 Max-192) without any crits. 48 points if only half the shots connect.

And to that damage we would add in Weapon Focus, Weapon Spec, Point blank shot, improved critical, etc to the damage and attack rolls? Provided he had these, not trying to munchkin here just thinking about what feats a 20th level soldier would have. 50% accuracy rate would remove ALMOST all 20th level characters from active status. Prolly carried this a bit far but I suppose the point is we still see that the system represents how 3 seconds, or 1 combat round and be life or death.

I can't even imagine how Kosh 2 took all those PPG pistol and rifle blasts from the security team. Or the big Shadow fighter that soaked them up. Or the biotech guy from infection. Thats a lot of damage to soak.
KDLadage wrote:We still need to plan a trip to meet each other. Perhaps we can carpool to the next Gen-Con or something...
I have never been to a Gen-con. I steer more towards Sci-fi Cons. DragonCon down in Atlanta was the last one I visited. Walking around in my Galen outfit. Ran into Peter Woodward. Out of pure reaction to realizing who just walked past me I said, "Hey! Peter Woodward!" to my friend. Peter, of course, upon hearing his name, turned around. With a quick scan of my costume and with out missing a beat. He looked me dead in the eye, and with a Galen-ish flare said, "YES! and I KNOW who you are too!" I snagged some pictures of us. It was kewl moment. And the reason I will be going back again, great social dynamic, meet strangers and party. Of course all the barely clothed girls have something to do with it as well.

L8r,
PsycloneJack