Ronnie James Dio: RIP

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
cbrunish
Banded Mongoose

Ronnie James Dio: RIP

Postby cbrunish » Tue May 18, 2010 8:10 am

Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) died on the 16th of May. He will be missed. I played many of roleplaying sessions to his music.
"We shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"-Sir Winston Churchill
Spectator
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Spectator » Tue May 18, 2010 11:51 am

Wow, what a shame!
He was a bad-ass!
"Rainbow in the Dark" is still one of the hard rock legends that can never be duplicated!
R.I.P.
cbrunish
Banded Mongoose

Postby cbrunish » Wed May 19, 2010 5:16 am

Yeah! First concert was DIO on August 13, 1984. Twisted Sister opened up.
"We shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"-Sir Winston Churchill
Stygian Devout
Stoat

Postby Stygian Devout » Wed May 19, 2010 9:58 am

... there was always a peculiar link between DnD and Dio music... not that I minded!

Indeed, Ronnie was one of the greats. sad.
Spectator
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Spectator » Thu May 20, 2010 1:55 am

Dio (the band) had some incredible cover art!
I love the Demon swinging the chain on the cover of Holy Diver.
cbrunish
Banded Mongoose

Postby cbrunish » Thu May 20, 2010 6:51 am

My personal favorite was the Last in Line cover with the Egyptian setting. At the time my favorite module was I3 The Pharaoh. I loved playing that album and Iron Maiden's Powerslave album when DMing that module.

Ah...Those were the days!
thelevitator
Stoat

Postby thelevitator » Fri May 21, 2010 6:47 am

cbrunish wrote:Yeah! First concert was DIO on August 13, 1984. Twisted Sister opened up.
No way! I saw that tour as well! In fact, I got to see Dio twice in the span of about 3 days. I had some friends in Minneapolis who had gotten me a ticket for Dio there in Minneapolis. When I got back to Wisconsin, I found out some of my friends back there were going to see Dio at the Rosemont in Chicago, so I went with them and saw him a second time.

He was easily one of my biggest musical influences, and I have never gamed a session without at least one Dio track playing in the background. \m/
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Tue May 25, 2010 7:51 pm

Ronnie finally managed to catch the rainbow...
I talk to planets, baby.