Am I the only one who would play the Conan RPG sans Conan?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Jotenbjorn
Mongoose

Am I the only one who would play the Conan RPG sans Conan?

Postby Jotenbjorn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:56 am

I admit that the Conan name is the only reason I ever picked Conan D20 up, and I really wish Mongoose could keep the license, but I still wish Mongoose would continue on with D20. The rules for the Conan RPG kick DND's butt, and kicks the butt of every RPG this side of Alternity for that matter. If Mongoose stripped all references to Conan/Hyboria out and packaged it as their own RPG ala Pathfinder (either with or without their own unique game world), would anyone but me buy?
Looking for a game in Tempe, Az. E6 Conan ftw!

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/hyborian-steel - Still looking for players!
Rex
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Rex » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:06 pm

I'd buy it most likely but then I'd also Add a bunch to it as well and make it a true Genre RPG as opposed to a singular focused one. There is a lot of potential Material in that.

~Rex
Every Problem in the World, can be solved easily with the Violent application of a baseball bat.
Der Rote Baron
Mongoose

Postby Der Rote Baron » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:04 pm

I think Conan RPG is very well suited for Conan and could also be used for other campaigns of sword& (or without) sorcery like Lankhmar or a Crusades campaign but i would not be very interested in it as a generic setting.
Got plenty of generic systems, thank you.
LucaCherstich
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby LucaCherstich » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:08 pm

A generic S&S game (a.k.a. hidden Conan d20)????
YES, off course.
Definitevely more S&S than RQ.
superc0ntra
Banded Mongoose

Postby superc0ntra » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:47 pm

I love what they've done to d20. Even I can stand the d20 HP system in order to get all the other goodies.
Having a go at this film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084749/ would be a first outside Hyboria
bradius
Mongoose

Postby bradius » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:56 pm

I wouldn't buy it as a generic system. At this point, I'm only interested in more sourcebooks for geographic locations (e.g. Turan, Vendhya...). There are enough rules in the Conan D20 system already.
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:41 pm

Sounds like what we need is a good Conan fan depository web site where people can upload their adventures and supplementary material, keeping the gaming world of Hyboria going.

I too dislike the d20 system, but Mongoose really got it "right" with their version. It's THE definitive version of d20 as far as I'm concerned.
Malcadon
Banded Mongoose

Postby Malcadon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:42 am

Supplement Four wrote:Sounds like what we need is a good Conan fan depository web site where people can upload their adventures and supplementary material, keeping the gaming world of Hyboria going.
Or flood poor thulsa's mailbox. :wink:
Supplement Four wrote:I too dislike the d20 system, but Mongoose really got it "right" with their version. It's THE definitive version of d20 as far as I'm concerned.
Dame strait!
Jotenbjorn
Mongoose

Postby Jotenbjorn » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:34 am

Supplement Four wrote:Sounds like what we need is a good Conan fan depository web site where people can upload their adventures and supplementary material, keeping the gaming world of Hyboria going.

I too dislike the d20 system, but Mongoose really got it "right" with their version. It's THE definitive version of d20 as far as I'm concerned.
That would be so great. If I was internet-savvy I'd set up a wiki, like the multiple DND wikis floating around out there. Or the now-lost Birthright.Net. That was a great site.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/hyborian-steel - Still looking for players!
SnowDog
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby SnowDog » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:38 am

Without Hyboria I wouldn't buy it. As much as I liked what Mongoose did for d20 to get the Hyborian feel to the game I would still go with the FantasyCraft for a d20 fantasy rules.
"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."
Azgulor
Banded Mongoose

Re: Am I the only one who would play the Conan RPG sans Cona

Postby Azgulor » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:57 pm

Jotenbjorn wrote:I admit that the Conan name is the only reason I ever picked Conan D20 up, and I really wish Mongoose could keep the license, but I still wish Mongoose would continue on with D20. The rules for the Conan RPG kick DND's butt, and kicks the butt of every RPG this side of Alternity for that matter. If Mongoose stripped all references to Conan/Hyboria out and packaged it as their own RPG ala Pathfinder (either with or without their own unique game world), would anyone but me buy?
I'm with you. I purchased Conan initially just to have a swords-n-sorcery RPG engine sans the D&Disms. My appreciation for Conan came after purchasing the RPG. Conan OGL remains my go-to-engine for S-n-S gaming goodness.

On a somewhat related note, a Conan RPG sans Conan/Hyboria would work well with the Pathfinder setting of Golarion IMO.
Jeffreywns
Mongoose

Postby Jeffreywns » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:22 am

With my limited rules knowledge I would pick this over Palladium , Gurps and D&D as my S&S rule system. If you have an interest in the "Sword & Blaster" Genre Adamant put out the Mars RPG using the Conan D20 rules. They also released it in Savage Worlds.
Jotenbjorn
Mongoose

Re: Am I the only one who would play the Conan RPG sans Cona

Postby Jotenbjorn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:36 am

Azgulor wrote:In a somewhat related note, a Conan RPG sans Conan/Hyboria would work well with the Pathfinder setting of Golarion IMO.
I'm not too familiar with Golarion. I've been curious about it, but Pathfinder addressed DND's balance issues by powering up all the classes. That's the opposite approach I would take, but I'll probably give it a chance eventually. Anything but 4e, it and HERO are the only games I absolutely won't play.

cbrunish
Banded Mongoose

Postby cbrunish » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:06 am

I purchased Conan because of the name. I was playing D&D 3.5 and enjoyed it. But our group also dropped the rules we either didn't like or in the interest of speed of play.

But in Conan I really felt the feel of REH. Especially in the realm of magic. It seems that the Goose really got that feel right. The only bitch about them changing (or not, now) was that I didn't want to have to change systems. I only have a certain amount of money and now that I'm married, I can't just purchase every Conan supplement. To change systems would be out of my financial realm now.
"We shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"-Sir Winston Churchill
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:02 pm

I onnly really buy Conan for the fluff and flavour as I don't use the system - so unless the new setting is iteself very interesting I would not buy - I have plenty of Fantasy worlds already..................
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:08 am

I have enough rule systems at bay to play for a millenia, so I wouldn't need a new one, especially another D20 variant. The Conan rules have some good points over standard D20 for a S&S game, but also gigantic flaws its bigger brother hasn't.

Anyway most everyone here knows what I think of the D20 engine, especially of classes and feats. Without a single Conan goodie in it, I wouldn't have bought a single book.
I talk to planets, baby.
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:14 am

Hervé wrote:The Conan rules have some good points over standard D20 for a S&S game, but also gigantic flaws its bigger brother hasn't.
Hey Herve,

I got back from France in early October. You have some georgeous women over there. So do the Itallians.

Curious, though. I think the Conan d20 version is superb. What, in your opinion, are those "gigantic flaws".

Maybe you've seen something I haven't.
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:32 am

Hi S4! Glad you've enjoyed your European Trip.

As for the gaps in the Conan rules, I was mostly thinking of the everlasting Two-handed Weapon/Power Attack/Massive Damage problem, as well as the armour rules that, from my opinion, completely unadapted to a level based system like the D20, as well as a some other annoying details. Actually, most of the rules changes from the standard SRD seemed to have lacked playtesting. As I've said before, the D20 is a very intricate system that is very hard to tweak without unbalancing it. That's really too bad, because most of the rule changes were heading the good way to capture the Conan feel.
I talk to planets, baby.
warzen
Banded Mongoose

Postby warzen » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:59 am

Supplement Four wrote: Curious, though. I think the Conan d20 version is superb. What, in your opinion, are those "gigantic flaws".
A lot is explained here:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB ... hp?t=37094

W.