Conan Plans Unveiled - Deepest Apologies

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
PrinceYyrkoon
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby PrinceYyrkoon » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:22 pm

lastbesthope wrote:
PrinceYyrkoon wrote:
crazy_cat wrote: Godwins law proven once again.
No, its the first justiied use of the tactic on the internet.
In response to your original response to Ravelli, I do not think that word means what you think it means, or if it does you're using it wrongly.

On amore serious note (puts moderator hat on) keep it civil, everybody!

LBH
I am! No one understands my humour is all! Youre all fascists! :lol:
The King
Chief Mongoose
Location: City of Wonders, Valusia (before the major cataclysm)

Postby The King » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:01 pm

Can't you all go in a pub (or a bar) and discuss "openly" about pro and contra this or that system?
I'm sure it would end in a gigantic brawl in pure Howardian tradition.
An American-style kitchen is a kitchen in the living room.
A French-style toilet has toilet in the living room.
My neighbours combine both styles.
PrinceYyrkoon
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby PrinceYyrkoon » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:22 pm

The King wrote:Can't you all go in a pub (or a bar) and discuss "openly" about pro and contra this or that system?
I'm sure it would end in a gigantic brawl in pure Howardian tradition.
Oh, yeah? Sez who? :lol:
Nagisawa
Stoat

Postby Nagisawa » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:40 am

Me! *Throws random poster at Yyrkoon!* :mrgreen:
zozotroll
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby zozotroll » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:21 am

Nice to see we have maintained the intellectual tone of the thread.
Spectator
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Spectator » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:34 am

zozotroll wrote:Nice to see we have maintained the intellectual tone of the thread.
What was the original topic, the Shadizar map fiasco, or something?
warzen
Banded Mongoose

Postby warzen » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:43 am

Spectator wrote:
zozotroll wrote:Nice to see we have maintained the intellectual tone of the thread.
What was the original topic, the Shadizar map fiasco, or something?
"Is DD4 an RPG ?"

:)

W.
PrinceYyrkoon
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby PrinceYyrkoon » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:49 am

zozotroll gets a pie, meant for someone else, in the face.
zozotroll
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby zozotroll » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:56 pm

OOOOOhHHHHH What flavor?
PrinceYyrkoon
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby PrinceYyrkoon » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:17 pm

zozotroll wrote:OOOOOhHHHHH What flavor?
Custard!
zozotroll
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby zozotroll » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:09 pm

Apperently we are all having a slow day at the Conan forum.
David St-Michel
Mongoose

Postby David St-Michel » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:25 pm

So let me get this straight.

This whole plan was underway... and someone decided to pull the plug.

Please give me a name, adress, a plastic bag and some duct tape.

And a battleaxe.
"DM! What is best in life?"

"To crush your characters! See their sheets pile before you! And hear the lamentation of their players!"
David St-Michel
Mongoose

Postby David St-Michel » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:30 pm

Mr. Sprange,

IMHO You have no reason to apologise for anything. For what I've seen until today, I've received a fine product and met some fine people here in this forum. The system is great, the rules are flexible and the game is fun. And I've NEVER been part of an RPG forum where the producers and writers of said game were easily available.

I won't stop playing Conan. Period.

Curse you, Nemedian dogs! I was a man before I was king!
"DM! What is best in life?"

"To crush your characters! See their sheets pile before you! And hear the lamentation of their players!"
Darrin Kelley
Weasel

Postby Darrin Kelley » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:14 pm

I started with Conan OGL 1st edition, the extremely flawed book before the Atlantean Edition appeared. I mailed in to Mongoose to get the Atlantean Edition through the special deal they had made to do so. So you can see, I have been with the game since its very beginning.

CPI I think made it plain as day. That they thought the switch to Runequest was a massive disservice to the fans who already plunked down a couple of thousand US dollars for the OGL Conan books. That they would be essentially left flailing in the dust.

Also, the leather cover issue. Matt didn't mention whether Conan OGL would be getting a leatherbound rulebook, or only if that would have been Runequest. If it were Runequest only, it would have been a pretty big middle finger by Mongoose to the people who have supported this game line through two editions.

Fact is: If Conan was switching to Runequest exclusively, the game line would lose me as a customer. As I have no interest in Runequest at all. Same issue with Babylon 5 and Judge Dredd going to Traveller. I like the properties but loathe Traveller. Instant lost customer.

Runequest (and Traveller for that matter) has always been a niche game. It hasn't sold anywhere near as widely as OGL games have. And being a niche game means that support of it would bring quite a bit less of a profit margin to Mongoose and CPI. And yes, that's a serious concern for a company like CPI. A simple matter if, on the business level, it would be worth CPI's time and resources to allow to exist.

Also thrown into this is the fact that the person in charge at CPI actually worked for Chaosium, and saw for a fact how much commercial viability for that company Runequest actually had to the very company who originally created it.
flatscan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby flatscan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm

Darrin Kelley wrote:snip
Flatscan pops a bag o' corn and awaits the inevitable retaliation from all the RQ fans on the board.
Darrin Kelley
Weasel

Postby Darrin Kelley » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:40 pm

flatscan wrote:
Flatscan pops a bag o' corn and awaits the inevitable retaliation from all the RQ fans on the board.
The opinions of the Runequest fans don't matter to me one little bit. Conan OGL has been the game that mattered for two editions. That's where the money has been. Anything else is speculation and wishful thinking.
LucaCherstich
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby LucaCherstich » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:55 pm

Darrin Kelley wrote: Also thrown into this is the fact that the person in charge at CPI actually worked for Chaosium, and saw for a fact how much commercial viability for that company Runequest actually had to the very company who originally created it.
Good point!
PrinceYyrkoon
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby PrinceYyrkoon » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:56 pm

Darrin Kelley wrote:
flatscan wrote:
The opinions of the Runequest fans don't matter to me one little bit. Conan OGL has been the game that mattered for two editions. That's where the money has been. Anything else is speculation and wishful thinking.
Hee. The thread was waning a bit. Stoke more coke on the fire!

:roll:
Troll66
Mongoose

Postby Troll66 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:08 pm

Darrin Kelley wrote: Conan OGL has been the game that mattered for two editions. That's where the money has been.
...'has been'...being the operative words to describe Conan's relationship with OGL as far as I am reading d'em bones. Paradoc gut said they are ope to a new system but wnat that choice/decision to occur with a renewal of the license to ensure some longevity with the new game. A new Conan rpg game will come, it won't be OGL.

Thats just the way of it mate. It WILL be Savage worlds, RQ, an adaptation of Song of Fire and Ice engine by Green Ronin, adaptation of Warhammer 3rd ed by FFG (as long as that does well) or something else. Thats what d'em bones are saying...

You might well get a 'swan song' of OGL releases from Mongoose over the next year tho so buck up.
Azgulor
Banded Mongoose

Postby Azgulor » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:08 pm

Yep, them OGL games have been dead for years now!

(Intentionally averts gaze away from OGL games such as Fantasycraft, Pathfinder, Mutants & Masterminds) Yes sir, nothing to see here!

'Course that's the funny thing about readin' dem bones. It all comes down to the reader's interpretation...

Note: Could you be right? Yep. But it's a far cry from the forgone conclusion some people would like it to be.