So, in Conan, what are you?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Rex
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

So, in Conan, what are you?

Postby Rex » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:47 pm

I started a similar topic, in a few other threads. Mostly as a side interest of mine for another writing project I'm putting together for some folks.

Out of Curiosity, and by no means must you reveal your secrets. In Conan, what do you like to play, and why? Is it all Cimmerian Saturday!, or shall we say, Aquilonian Thursday? Mixed Groups or homogeneous? What's worked for you, and against you, race and class wise?

Curiosity may have killed the cat but we all know how tough a cat can be in Hyboria. :D I'll toss in my particular favorite and reasons why if a few others step up first. Always a good time to see what and how others are thinking, within the structure of a Game as fun as Conan.

~Rex
Every Problem in the World, can be solved easily with the Violent application of a baseball bat.
zozotroll
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby zozotroll » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:33 am

Cimmerian Barbarian, although I have never played, only GMed.
Jeffreywns
Mongoose

Postby Jeffreywns » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:03 am

I've only GMed, but when Pirate Isles came out I wanted to run a Zingaran Pirate with Freebooters Fortune and other ship based feats. Still do.
zozotroll
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby zozotroll » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:02 am

That does sound tempting, but as I just got through with a RQ Pirates game, perhaps not yet.
VincentDarlage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby VincentDarlage » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:07 am

I don't play often, but when I do, I prefer either a southern Black Kingdoms barbarian (to have that exotic barbarian feeling without being a Cimmerian) or a Hyrkanian nomad/barbarian.

I don't think anyone in my groups have ever played a Cimmerian. I think they prefer to keep Conan unique.
treeplanter
Banded Mongoose

Postby treeplanter » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:29 pm

Too much! I would need ten games to play every character I want!

- Bossnian borderer (Playing now)
- South islander Barbarian
- Hyrkanian Nomad/thief
- Stygian thief (suck cause not a favored class but so cool, could be Scholar/Thief)
- Hyperborean Nomad/Soldier
- Nemedian knight (Noble/Soldier)
- Himelian Barbarian
- Hyrkanian Nomad/Pirate
Kill your ennemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women.
Rex
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Rex » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:56 pm

Anybody else on board with me and my Gunderman Pike Soldier?

The Pirate idea is interesting as well but I also do RQ pirates and I didn't want to split play time doing the same thing basically. Still, I think there is certainly room, for a Conan RPG Pirate demo as well.

I tend to avoid the Cimmerians myself, not out of dislike, more because I tend to lean Pict on one hand and Northman on the other.

Still, I'm having a great time with the Gunderman.

~Rex
Every Problem in the World, can be solved easily with the Violent application of a baseball bat.
warzen
Banded Mongoose

Re: So, in Conan, what are you?

Postby warzen » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:37 pm

Rex wrote:So, in Conan, what are you?
The DM.
8)
Rex
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Rex » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:05 pm

warzen wrote:
The DM.
8)
Well that's a given (at least for me it is) but if it weren't a given, what would you lean towards?

~Rex
warzen
Banded Mongoose

Postby warzen » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:08 pm

Rex wrote:
warzen wrote:
The DM.
8)
Well that's a given (at least for me it is) but if it weren't a given, what would you lean towards?

~Rex
I would go for a sorcerer from Kush, a shemit wine merchant or a knight from Pointan I guess.

W.
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:39 am

A Barachan pirate, probably...
I talk to planets, baby.
Korppis
Weasel

Postby Korppis » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:17 am

Zingaran swashbucler, noble/soldier (with maybe pirate level or two) with intricate swordsplay, improved disarm & improved feint.
jolt
Mongoose

Postby jolt » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:34 pm

A scholar from Khitai eschewing sorcery in favor of things like Unarmed Combat with a few levels from one of the more combaty classes. I usually call this character a Pilgrim (i.e. someone who values life...mainly his own).

jolt
Rex
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Rex » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:35 pm

Hmmm....seems to be a lot of Pirate leanings. The last couple have been interesting as well. I like the Wine Merchant and the Pilgrim ideas, definitely some use there and you can always use a real Non Impact orientated swashbuckler as well in about any game.

Still, I like my Gunderman in a land of Barbarians Pirates and Swashbucklers. I've noticed no one has mentioned wanting to play the Temptress? Or Tempter, I could see that causing a stir at the table.

~Rex
zozotroll
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby zozotroll » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:29 pm

Temptres could fit a certain style of game, just as I had one person play a preistess of Uleria in a RQ3 game. To make it very funny to me, her RW husband played a Humakti.

I dont see a lot of potential for a temptress in a band of cutthroats roaming the wilderness looking for placers to loot.
Rex
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Rex » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:34 pm

zozotroll wrote:Temptres could fit a certain style of game, just as I had one person play a preistess of Uleria in a RQ3 game. To make it very funny to me, her RW husband played a Humakti.

I dont see a lot of potential for a temptress in a band of cutthroats roaming the wilderness looking for placers to loot.
Well, they could BE the loot. Or. The Bait. It's actually, a rather effective class with a lot of potential.

~Rex
tarkhan bey
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby tarkhan bey » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:30 am

My character is the Zingaran Buccaneer-Escobar Da Kordava Alonso. He is self centred and backstabbing with an eye for the main chance. I imagine him to look like Basil Rathbone's character-Captain Levasseur from the classic "Captain Blood". Or possibly Rocheforte as played by Christopher Lee in "The Three Musketeers".
Majestic7
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Majestic7 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:58 pm

Right now, I'm playing Indiana Jones of the Hyborian Age in a Savage Worlds Conan game. He is a Nemedian scholar, who was thrown out from the university of Belverus. Now a freelance tomb robber. He has a delusion that the Acheronians were a noble and highly civilized culture and wants to start a personal collection of ancient relics. Mainly a trickster/talker scholar with a sword-arm to back things up if stuff goes the wrong way.

Other character ideas:

- Darfar Barbarian, who is a spiritual cannibal. Believes he gains supernatural powers by eating the hearts of his enemies. An icon of deranged strength combined with evil cunning.

- Vendhyan soldier who seeks to fix a stain on his karma by doing heroics. Has done something despicable in the past and seeks to play a hero to clear his conscience, but the old crime keeps haunting him.

- Fallen priest of Mitra, who has sold his soul to a demon. Completely delusional sorcerer, thinks the demon is an angel of Mitra. Going to fall in to a spiral of madness and corruption, rationalizing all the crap he does to the end with twisted version of Mitraic doctrine. A tragic figure, which might well go out in a blaze of glory in the end, sacrificing himself to save others when he understands his own nature.

- Valencio, the Gorgeous Idiot. Zingaran tempter/noble, who is a complete idiot but extremely charismatic, handsome and very good in social situations. Thus people assume him to be very good at pretty much everything, while he is really good only in posing and bullshitting. Might turn out to be a comical sidekick in other words.
Campaign log & house rules at Obsidian Portal:
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/conan-ae
Rex
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Rex » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:51 pm

tarkhan bey wrote:My character is the Zingaran Buccaneer-Escobar Da Kordava Alonso. He is self centred and backstabbing with an eye for the main chance. I imagine him to look like Basil Rathbone's character-Captain Levasseur from the classic "Captain Blood". Or possibly Rocheforte as played by Christopher Lee in "The Three Musketeers".
See if I mention, Captain Lavasseur, or Rocheforte, to my player base here all I get is a vapid look, and then a question asking me which James Cameron film they were in.......

Nice to see people reach to the real elements of the past for inspiration, especially elements as good as Rathbone and Lee. Again though the Swashbuckler types, seem to have the edge in popularity while my poor Civilized Gundarman is left in the dust, heh.

~Rex
LucaCherstich
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby LucaCherstich » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:59 pm

I like many combinations...
Vanir Barbarian or Pirate (Viking type! REH dis not day anything about viking-like Vanirs, later writers supposed that Vanirs did not regularly sail the sea, but I still feel that a viking-like culture in the Hyborean Age would be fine... )
Vendhyan Noble/Scholar (but with quite a martial attitude)
Turanian Soldier/Thief (not Subotai but a real civilized Turanian!)
Kothic Soldier/Thief (but not of a "high Dex" type...more a bandit-brute with high STR)