Purchasing a Tavern

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Dark Lord Skippy
Mongoose

Purchasing a Tavern

Postby Dark Lord Skippy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:09 pm

My PC group has gotten into their heads that they wish to purchase a tavern in Tarantia and use it as a sort of "home base". I know this wouldnt fit in some campaigns, but it does fit mine.

One problem though: How much should something like this cost? I'm really not quite sure what to tell them.

Any thoughts?
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." -Frédéric Bastiat
Sourcerer
Weasel

Re: Purchasing a Tavern

Postby Sourcerer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:22 pm

Core Rulebook p.160 wrote:Property
Hovel - 5gl
Small house - 50gl
Great house - 250gl
Manor house - 950gl
Choose the size, add a bit for furnishing and lots of beverages in the basement, and there you go.
Dark Lord Skippy
Mongoose

Re: Purchasing a Tavern

Postby Dark Lord Skippy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Sourcerer wrote:
Core Rulebook p.160 wrote:Property
Hovel - 5gl
Small house - 50gl
Great house - 250gl
Manor house - 950gl
Choose the size, add a bit for furnishing and lots of beverages in the basement, and there you go.
Ahhh... somehow I missed that in the book. Thanks.
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." -Frédéric Bastiat
VincentDarlage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby VincentDarlage » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:30 pm

I had a group do this, but instead of purchasing it, they were given it as a reward from a nobleman they helped (of course, they had give an Allegiance to this lord, pay rent, etc, but that just spurred on additional adventures). Since Aquilonia is feudal, giving property or a business as a fief is something that could happen.
Dark Lord Skippy
Mongoose

Postby Dark Lord Skippy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:51 pm

VincentDarlage wrote:I had a group do this, but instead of purchasing it, they were given it as a reward from a nobleman they helped (of course, they had give an Allegiance to this lord, pay rent, etc, but that just spurred on additional adventures). Since Aquilonia is feudal, giving property or a business as a fief is something that could happen.
Ahh... what an excellent idea! Thank you!
VincentDarlage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby VincentDarlage » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:09 pm

Yeah. Aquilonia isn't a capitalist nation, and wouldn't really go for someone "buying" a business, per se. With land comes power, and the aristocrats are loathe just to let commoners (and foreigners!) buy and sell power within their territory. They give it out as a fief and expect to profit thereby.

Sometimes it is hard for modern players to use the real economy of the age because capitalism is all we really know for an economic system. A feudal economy has a difficult time with such transactions. Even the concept of free townsmen was difficult for the aristocrats to swallow - and in order for someone to be a "free" townsman they had to be a citizen, which means they have to agree to man the walls, pay fees to a guild, do what the guild masters say, etc. Still, not something a non-Tarantian native is likely to be allowed to join, so the only way to get the tavern is to get it from a nobleman as a fief - which means swearing an allegiance, promising to serve in his armies (or send money in lieu of actual service), etc.

Plus, the nobleman and all his retinue, his friends and their retinues, will all expect to eat for free.

Plus, if it was granted by a nobleman, then the tavern guilds in Tarantia are going to HATE the PCs, and do whatever they can to sabotage their business.

Still, if one of the PCs is a Tarantia native, they could join the guild, but then they have guild responsibilities, and have to pay money to make sure other tavern owners can afford medical care, or that tavern-owner widows have a line of income, etc. This means the aristocrats no longer will trust the PCs because they are free townsmen and are outside of the proper order of things, which could cause political problems if the PCs have already had dealings with Tarantian nobles.
Voltumna
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Voltumna » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:12 pm

Our gang of knaves once had a tavern as their base of operations. I think in the end one of my fellow players' character ended up buying it, but for a long time it became our den because we had made a very good relation with the taverner. We took off his back a gang of roughs who were preying on him, and in return he let us be there, and it was as if we were the masters of the place.
Who dies first?
Spectator
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Spectator » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:08 pm

Hmmm, to avoid all issues of liability and such, next time have the parents of your PC thief be "Tavern-keepers in tarantia"

Kinda like real life during college.
"Hi Mom, I'm home and I brought some friends!.. Is dinner ready and I have this mess of dirty clothes that needs to be washed!"

At least in the Conan scenario you could toss them a couple of Gold Lunas for their trouble.