Slaine, Dead?!

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
evilernie
Cub
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:09 am
Location: Missouri, USA

Postby evilernie » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:02 pm

Yeah, the woad thing won't happen again any time soon. Maybe sky-clad!
Don't knock on Death's door. Ring the doorbell and run; he hates that!
Ravelli
Mongoose
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:46 pm
Location: Under Annwn-day sun

Postby Ravelli » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:13 am

evilernie wrote:Rex is right. People didn't know Slaine, until they played it. Then they loved it. I am anxiously awaiting the "news" we were told would be coming. Slaine is not dead...
Ooh, really curious about this! Were you told to expect "news" in your capacity as a Mongoose Infantry guy, or have there been hints dropped publically somewhere?
Double Boibel !
You win again ...
Rex
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:05 am
Location: Kenosha Wisconsin USA
Contact:

Postby Rex » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:45 pm

Ravelli wrote:
evilernie wrote:Rex is right. People didn't know Slaine, until they played it. Then they loved it. I am anxiously awaiting the "news" we were told would be coming. Slaine is not dead...
Ooh, really curious about this! Were you told to expect "news" in your capacity as a Mongoose Infantry guy, or have there been hints dropped publically somewhere?
Evil Ernie has a better source then I do (My source, mostly being Evil Ernie when it comes to the rumor mill). However, I am sure if one leaves out a plate of milk and cookies he will pop back in and clarify.

~Rex
Every Problem in the World, can be solved easily with the Violent application of a baseball bat.
tarkhan bey
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: belfast n.ireland

Postby tarkhan bey » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi Ravelli, If you check out Matt's post on page 3 of "The Baileoisin update thread" you will find a small hint that something new is in the pipeline.
The thread is a bit further down this page. :)
Rex
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:05 am
Location: Kenosha Wisconsin USA
Contact:

Postby Rex » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:35 pm

tarkhan bey wrote:Hi Ravelli, If you check out Matt's post on page 3 of "The Baileoisin update thread" you will find a small hint that something new is in the pipeline.
The thread is a bit further down this page. :)
Yep, dig through that. It's the first clue! At least I would assume so I stink with clues. Still, that thread alone id a pretty good read.

~Rex
Every Problem in the World, can be solved easily with the Violent application of a baseball bat.
evilernie
Cub
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:09 am
Location: Missouri, USA

Postby evilernie » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:07 am

Matthew was very tight-lipped. I remarked that I was sad to hear of the demise of Slaine and he said something new was in the works. Of course my heart leapt and I inquired further, but could gain no advantage but he gave me to understand that something-Slaine is coming.

But news has a way of sprouting wings, so let fly the suppositions and wild ideas!

I think Gerard Butler is starring in a Slaine movie, with Courtney Love and Eric Idle.
Don't knock on Death's door. Ring the doorbell and run; he hates that!
Rex
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:05 am
Location: Kenosha Wisconsin USA
Contact:

Postby Rex » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:29 pm

I'm all for a Slaine Movie. Needs Jason Statham though.

~Rex
Every Problem in the World, can be solved easily with the Violent application of a baseball bat.
Standing-Stone
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:37 pm
Location: Australia

Postby Standing-Stone » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:52 am

Slaine film with Gerard Butler.

You made me look and he's doing voice character in viking anaimation about ffighting dragons.

Image
Rex
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:05 am
Location: Kenosha Wisconsin USA
Contact:

Postby Rex » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:15 pm

Standing-Stone wrote:Slaine film with Gerard Butler.

You made me look and he's doing voice character in viking anaimation about ffighting dragons.

Image
I could deal with Butler for Slaine. Still. Anything can be improved by Adding Jason Statham.

~Rex
Every Problem in the World, can be solved easily with the Violent application of a baseball bat.
Ravelli
Mongoose
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:46 pm
Location: Under Annwn-day sun

Postby Ravelli » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:09 pm

tarkhan bey wrote:Hi Ravelli, If you check out Matt's post on page 3 of "The Baileoisin update thread" you will find a small hint that something new is in the pipeline.
The thread is a bit further down this page. :)
Ah, cheers tarkhan bey! :) I'd actually read that thread but had forgotten Matt's little dropsie. I tell you, it's harder work mucking out the minotaur (see Slaine "Spoils of Annwn") than it is keeping track of all the hints Matt drops on various fora. :wink:

I mostly agree with your views in that thread, too, tb. I've got all the d20 Slaine stuff as well as the RQ version (complete with Mongoose in-house-printing bendy pages) and would rather not buy the same material again. However, the 'goose has returned to colour printing for some of its books, and I'd sacrifice my dwarf's right nut for a new full colour Slaine rulebook.

I think that printing the RQ version in b&w could only have adversely affected its sales. Using that new Clint Langley art was a grand idea, but not if you're going to print the blessed thing in such murky tones. That book could have had eye-popping potential but ended up looking decidely ugly. The d20 edition, with its b&w and colour, was much more visually arresting.

With RQ2 imminent, a compatible colour version that corrected some of the ommissions and odd rulings of the first version would be warmly welcomed by me. But not by my one-nutted dwarf! :twisted:
Double Boibel !
You win again ...
Ravelli
Mongoose
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:46 pm
Location: Under Annwn-day sun

Postby Ravelli » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:29 pm

evilernie wrote:Matthew was very tight-lipped. I remarked that I was sad to hear of the demise of Slaine and he said something new was in the works. Of course my heart leapt and I inquired further, but could gain no advantage but he gave me to understand that something-Slaine is coming.

But news has a way of sprouting wings, so let fly the suppositions and wild ideas!

I think Gerard Butler is starring in a Slaine movie, with Courtney Love and Eric Idle.
Cool, thanks evilernie! :) Marvelous hearing more from the horse's mouth, and all without smearing peanut butter on their gums! :twisted:

Butler, Idle and Love and in Slaine The Motion Picture ... Who's Courtney playing: Niamh, Nest, Medb, Scota... or Slough Feg?!
Double Boibel !
You win again ...
Daithi O'an tSionnaigh
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:10 am
Location: The Great White North

Postby Daithi O'an tSionnaigh » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:34 am

RQ2! Man I have hardly had a chance to play with all the RQ books I have now. I just cannot keep up with all these new versions of books. Just don't have the cash and frankly I am getting a bit soured on the whole RPGing thing when a lot of my favourite companies are bring new editions of everything and trying to cater to the MMO crowd. I hope Mongoose is not doing this.

I understand companies have to do this from time to time so I don't need the history lesson. But man sometimes new editions don't need to come so soon. However that being said IF a Slaine Hardcover RQ book was released and expanded in gorgeous Technicolour and Dolby Stereo Sound! Then I am game! :P
"Every wolf suffers fleas.....Tis easy enough to scratch!"

Image
Rex
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:05 am
Location: Kenosha Wisconsin USA
Contact:

Postby Rex » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:47 pm

I'd like to see it as a complete edition, instead of an Add-on, since, carrying all these books around at Conventions for the demo, well, Rex is getting Old.

Not Out and done though. Old like a Grizzly Bear or Silver Back Gorilla Old. :D Still, one book would be nice. Make it, Ptolus sized. Slaine deserves a book, you can use to brutal effect in a beat down.

~Rex
Every Problem in the World, can be solved easily with the Violent application of a baseball bat.
PrinceYyrkoon
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 772
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 12:02 pm

Postby PrinceYyrkoon » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:46 pm

I dont really want to buy ANOTHER Slaine rulebook. Yeah, ok, if it was self-contained and HB and colour, I'd buy, but it would feel like another attempt at a 'rebirth' rather than something progressive.

A nice colour sourcebook or mega scenario book would be good.

But, please god, not a Traveller version.
charliebananas
Mongoose
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:57 am
Location: england

Postby charliebananas » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:42 am

I'd love to see a Traveller version, but not at the cost of anyone elses fun, I don't think its going to happen but the whole 2000ad universe in Traveller editions would be cool. As for Slaine I have the d20 version but have never played it, not a big fan of d20, and I don't run BRP games, just play in them, but a Traveller version I would run, the rules are just great, but then I've a;ways wanted to see that Wanderer mock game.

When Strontium Dog comes out we will have a Traveller Magic/Sorcery system and if Mongoose don't do a Trav-Slaine then I may have ago. :wink:
PrinceYyrkoon
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 772
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 12:02 pm

Postby PrinceYyrkoon » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:32 pm

charliebananas wrote:I'd love to see a Traveller version, but not at the cost of anyone elses fun, I don't think its going to happen but the whole 2000ad universe in Traveller editions would be cool. As for Slaine I have the d20 version but have never played it, not a big fan of d20, and I don't run BRP games, just play in them, but a Traveller version I would run, the rules are just great, but then I've a;ways wanted to see that Wanderer mock game.

When Strontium Dog comes out we will have a Traveller Magic/Sorcery system and if Mongoose don't do a Trav-Slaine then I may have ago. :wink:
Theres no common position it seems!

I like Travellers simplicity, but I think its a bit 'broad brush' for something like Slaine. Tir Nan Og isnt a Sword World. RQ is perfect for Slaine, no doubt as far as Im concerned. Ive never seen a better fit for a world and game system than RQ with Slaine.

So, again, I dont feel that it needs another rulebook, unless its something special, ie, stand alone, colour and HB. It just needs a bit of TLC. A screen, for instance, would at least be something.
charliebananas
Mongoose
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:57 am
Location: england

Postby charliebananas » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:09 pm

Yeah I think that if they did a Traveller Slaine it would be a limited line, but as I say i don't think Mongoose are going to do that. As for Runequest I used to love Gloranthan BRP, much more than D&D back in the early eighties, but now I prefer the simplicity of Traveller and I agree it does use a broad brush, I think thats what I like about it.

Whatever the fate of Slaine I hope that it gets the TLC it needs, and that we are all happy with it. :D
Daithi O'an tSionnaigh
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:10 am
Location: The Great White North

Postby Daithi O'an tSionnaigh » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:36 pm

RuneQuest is the perfect fit for Slaine! And a little TLC would be nice. A players guide, GM screen, Even a new book every now and again would be nice. But to have products stop and start all the time gets old fast. Slaine is one of those games I could never get tired off. But an official PDF errata for RQSlaine would be nice!
"Every wolf suffers fleas.....Tis easy enough to scratch!"

Image
charliebananas
Mongoose
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:57 am
Location: england

Postby charliebananas » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:02 am

I guess the problem is, Runequest is a great fit for Slaine as long as you like the Basic Roleplay System, thing is some people don't like it, for them its not such a great fit. I think it's better than the D20 version but I still haven't bought it, and probably will never buy it while it's using BRP, it's just not a system I enjoy running anymore.
Rex
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:05 am
Location: Kenosha Wisconsin USA
Contact:

Postby Rex » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:02 pm

charliebananas wrote:I guess the problem is, Runequest is a great fit for Slaine as long as you like the Basic Roleplay System, thing is some people don't like it, for them its not such a great fit. I think it's better than the D20 version but I still haven't bought it, and probably will never buy it while it's using BRP, it's just not a system I enjoy running anymore.
And a system you do enjoy running is?

~Rex
Every Problem in the World, can be solved easily with the Violent application of a baseball bat.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests