Quick review of Adventures in the Hyborian Age

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
cbrunish
Banded Mongoose

Quick review of Adventures in the Hyborian Age

Postby cbrunish » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:42 am

Just recieved this today. Have to say that I was impressed. It is a compilation of short to mid length adventures. I felt that they were well written and can add to a campaign.

The only problem I had is that all the adventures are on the edge of the Hyborian lands. The only adventure actually in a Hyborian country is in Brythunia. But again, the book is an enjoyable read. I would give it 3 1/2 stars (out of 5). :)
"We shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"-Sir Winston Churchill
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:34 am

I didn't get my copy yet, but I noticed from the preview that two of the adventures had been published elsewhere, either on forums for Cursed Tomb of A'Amar or through the old Sons of Cimmeria program for Dark Altar of Katar. Anyway I'm glad to see these adventures back and I'm eagerly waiting to discover the new ones.

Having the adventures set outside the main hyborian lands is not a problem for me. Actually, most of my campaigns happen outside the hyborian kingdoms, which are too close to 'Traditional European Medieval Fantasy' for me.

On the other hand, the plains of Hyrkania, the sands of the Kharamun desert or the jungles of the Black Kingdoms are literally screaming for adventure!

A compilation of short unrelated adventures is a good thing after two heavy campaigns like Trial of Blood and Betrayer of Asgard.

As I'll be ordering the book from the french distributor, I guess it won't be at the shop until the end of next week. A far too long time for me to wait...
I talk to planets, baby.
LucaCherstich
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby LucaCherstich » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:07 am

The only problem I had is that all the adventures are on the edge of the Hyborian lands. The only adventure actually in a Hyborian country is in Brythunia.
Actually, I think this is more in line with REH original stories.
Considering all the published Conan stories by REH the Hyborian settings are definitevely less frequent than non-hyborian settings.
De Camp and Jordan wrote more Conanesque stories in Hyborian lands than REH ever did!
Even REH stories in Hyborian lands always have strong "exotic" elements, e.g. "the God in the Bowl", an Hyborian setting with an exotic, STygian monster.
Clovenhoof
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Clovenhoof » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:54 pm

Yeah, and I think that God in the Bowl was possibly the weakest of REH's tales and not published during his lifetime. Apart from that, I think the only REH tales set in the Hyborian lands are the ones where Conan is king. Not counting the adventures beyond Thunder River because that's not exactly Hyborian territory.

Personally I wouldn't be very interested in actual Hyborian adventures either. As Hervé has said, the setting is too standard medieval.
Have I got a surprise for you. Come closer, I'll show you what it is.
Demetrio
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Demetrio » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:26 pm

Rogues in the House? Is that not set in a Hyborian Kingdom?

I grant you the general point is sound regardless.
I loved you, so I drew these tides of men into my hands
and wrote my will across the sky in stars
DaveNC
Mongoose

Postby DaveNC » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:38 pm

I haven't received my copy yet, but I'm looking forward to the book. It's always nice to have a couple of quick, ready to go adventures easily accessable.
"The victim's body turned purple and then black, and within a few minutes he sank down dying, and the stench of his own putrefaction was in his nostrils even before death wrenched his soul from his rotting body."
-REH, The Hour of the Dragon
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:33 pm

My distributor (Millenium) got Hunters of Granbretan (which is credited as a March release), but Adventures in the Hyborian Age (a Febuary release) still won't be available this week.
I talk to planets, baby.
kintire
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby kintire » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:42 pm

Rogues in the House? Is that not set in a Hyborian Kingdom?
The setting of Rogues in the House is not given in the story. Best guess is probably Corinthia. But, like God in the Bowl, it has many exotic elements: Thak and Nabonidus' various devices and drugs.
Sting52jb
Mongoose

Postby Sting52jb » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:40 pm

I just got an email from Paizo about new releases and this book cover was in the preview and I would say it looks 100 times better then the one pictured on Mongooses page and am wondering why it wasn't used.

Demetrio
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Demetrio » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:49 pm

It is a much better picture. Can't go wrong with ape wrestling. Something about the girl's expression just kills the current cover picture stone dead.
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:38 pm

Chick or ape, they had to choose...
I talk to planets, baby.
Strom
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Strom » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:44 pm

Hervé wrote:Chick or ape, they had to choose...
It's the truth.. remember, the Thak cover was originally announced as the cover for the 2nd edition until CPI asked for a different cover (and we got the floating head montage.) Plus, if Mongoose used the Thak cover I could see people complaining that the Rogues in the House adventre is not included.

I'm excited to see the cover in person - it looks vibrant and alive if nothing else.
“Crom and his devils!”
Demetrio
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Demetrio » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:50 pm

Chick or ape, they had to choose...
Well they chose the chicken-brained option... strange since man is the most intelligent of the apes...

Actually even the Thog cover is not without flaws. Old Thoggy sor of looks like he's doing a ballerina stye pirouette. But the girl's vacuous expression on the official cover just ruins it for me - which is a shame because otherwise it's not bad at all. Ho hum. At least the artwork is the least important factor in an rpg book.
Strom
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Strom » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:08 am

Demetrio wrote:

Actually even the Thog cover is not without flaws. Old Thoggy sor of looks like he's doing a ballerina stye pirouette. But the girl's vacuous expression on the official cover just ruins it for me - which is a shame because otherwise it's not bad at all. Ho hum. At least the artwork is the least important factor in an rpg book.
A Thog cover would've been cool

Thak is the man-ape with the scarlet robe in Rogues in the House.

A thong is underpants resembling a G-string; worn by women especially under very tight pants:

:lol:
“Crom and his devils!”
Demetrio
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Demetrio » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:53 am

Thog, Thak, your thong, they're all better than the cover with the girl running. If only her expression could have been tweaked before publication. Oh well.
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:20 pm

The Children of Ishiti adventure refers to a Stygia-The Sands of Death book. Is it a misprint for the Stygia-Serpent of the South book, or is there really a new Stygia book underway?
I talk to planets, baby.