Going Dippy for Conan Rpg in 2010

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
tarkhan bey
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Going Dippy for Conan Rpg in 2010

Postby tarkhan bey » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:32 pm

See Planet Mongoose.
Any thoughts or hopes gang?

I, for one, would hope that sourcebooks for Turan and Zamboula are finally on the agenda. :)
Mongoose Gar
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Gar » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:18 pm

Well, it looks like that 'Sack a Turanian City' 200+ page campaign got approved...
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:38 pm

Saw Planet Mongoose too... It just left me eager for more.
Well, it looks like that 'Sack a Turanian City' 200+ page campaign got approved...
Wonderful news! :D
I also hope we'll get at least a Turan book to support the campaign.

By the way, we'll starting Betrayer of Asgard tomorrow night. I bet there's gonna be blood on the snow... :twisted:
I talk to planets, baby.
Strom
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Strom » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:19 pm

This is exciting news for 2010! Matt mentions something about a regional atlas being put together in 2010 on the What Should Mongoose Publish Next? forum - that would certainly be helpful and maybe end the stigma of Mongoose, Conan and maps. :D
“Crom and his devils!”
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:28 pm

Great! I'll be there...
I talk to planets, baby.
sbarrie
Banded Mongoose

Postby sbarrie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:26 pm

Mongoose Gar wrote:Well, it looks like that 'Sack a Turanian City' 200+ page campaign got approved...
That. Sounds. Awesome.

We've been playing Trial of Blood, and its been great. My only quibbleis that the quest is a bit too "good", and may leave my players with the stench of modern heroism about them.

Hopefully this new campaign would be of a similar quality, plus be a bit more barbaric. And maybe have maps.
Scott
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:48 pm

If you want more a 'barbaric' adventure, check the excellent Betrayer of Asgard. Blood crazed Vanir berserkers, stern Cimmerian chieftains and dead hyperborean necromancers, it's all there!
I talk to planets, baby.
sbarrie
Banded Mongoose

Postby sbarrie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:09 pm

Hervé wrote:If you want more a 'barbaric' adventure, check the excellent Betrayer of Asgard. Blood crazed Vanir berserkers, stern Cimmerian chieftains and dead hyperborean necromancers, it's all there!
But does Betrayer have maps? :)

I've actually had Betrayer of Asgard on order from Amazon.ca for quite a while. Apparently it'll arrive mid-March, but we'll see.

Trial of Blood has lasted thirteen sessions so far, and I think it'll last three more. I'll run Mutants and Masterminds for a bit after that, and I have Bride of the Spider-God to draw upon for when I go back to Conan. Even if I don't get or don't like Betrayer I'm still well set up.
Scott
sbarrie
Banded Mongoose

Postby sbarrie » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:15 am

What a difference a year makes...

I assume that both the "Sack a City" campaign and "Save a Kingdom" adventure are dead and buried by now?

Pity. I'd kill a dozen civilized men and plunder their manors for that Sack a City book.
Scott
Bygoneyrs
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Bygoneyrs » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:41 pm

Conan is dead and gone!

Penn
Azgulor
Banded Mongoose

Postby Azgulor » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:30 pm

Bygoneyrs wrote:Conan is dead and gone!
... and it SUCKS.
LucaCherstich
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby LucaCherstich » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:01 pm

Just let me express the same feelings in my own native language: "...è una merda..."
Clovenhoof
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Clovenhoof » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:03 pm

Førbainnade jævelskap i haellvete ska plages!
Have I got a surprise for you. Come closer, I'll show you what it is.
rabindranath72
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:33 am

LucaCherstich wrote:Just let me express the same feelings in my own native language: "...è una merda..."
Or: "e che cazzo..." :)
--------------------------------------------------
Williams and Holland law:
"Everything can be demonstrated by statistical methods if you have enough data"
Der Rote Baron
Mongoose

Postby Der Rote Baron » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Or: "Was für eine Scheiße!"
Aurore
Weasel

Postby Aurore » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:23 pm

Why is it dead and gone? Not enough demand, or is there a license issue?
Bygoneyrs
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Bygoneyrs » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:14 am

Aurore wrote:Why is it dead and gone? Not enough demand, or is there a license issue?
Well the answer has never been fully defined why...but those that hold the control over the license seem to either want to move it to another company, and/or are upset with past issues with Mongoose over quality of books and editing job done by them. No one knows for sure, heck I am not even sure if Mongoose truely even knows either. I have read in another post of mine that Matthew stated that they will discover what the future holds for Conan with Mongoose. So we will all have to wait and see.

Penn
Last edited by Bygoneyrs on Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aurore
Weasel

Postby Aurore » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:41 am

Ah ok. Well one can never know whats going on in the background. The age of conan mmo may have increased the value of the license or encouraged offers for the license from others. Who knows. Usually that means an entirely new game system and lots of delays sadly.
LucaCherstich
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby LucaCherstich » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:38 am

I'm bored by the continous talking about possible hidden reasons why the line was stopped (the movie, the PC game, etc..) and the mixing of subjective and objective thinking...
Just let us stay to the facts!

OBJECTIVES REASONS:
From what I can remember from past posts/announcements by both Conan Properties and Matt the main reasons are two:

1) the idea of adding more systems (RQ e SW) IN THE LAST YEAR OF LICENSE (Conan properties do not care whether Conan is d20 or RQ, they just said it is dumb to switch systems at the end of the contract);

2) Series of Atlases. They would have been great (and by a great author: Vincent) but they are far beyond the limits of the contract.

As far as we know Conan Properties did not say Mongoose to stop publishing Conan books this year, but they simply said that their plans cannot be accepted.
So it was a Mongoose decision to stop publishing Conan books this year and deleting Empires & Thieves's C. (and give us just small bits of them in the S&P series).

Now, let me do some SUBJECTIVE thinking:
1) What a dumb moment to make such choices! If these decisions were taken couple of years ago (instead of giving us low-level books as Cities and KhitaI) their effect would not have been so devastating!

2) Multi-systems are proved to be failures (e.g. Alderac Rokugan d20). You must choose a system and believe in it.....if you chosed RQ I would be upset, but that was your choice, although we all know that d20 is not exactly dead...

3) The way they treated us customers last summer was, simply said, stupid. Deleting 2 products (which were ready to be published) without being sure of what they were doing, telling us to wait 4 months...and then the bad news!

I’m sorry for Mongoose but I will never buy any other of their products.
Conan was my game. I bought Mongoose products because of Conan, not the opposite.
I think that Mongoose people have both merits and faults.
They created the best Conan game ever....just to destroy it.
I completely dislike RQ (whose combat mechanincs are not adapt to the fast pacing of Sword & Sorcery). Without mentioning how they destroyed Empires (a product which was ready to be published…) and that we will possibly never see in its wholeness in the S&P issues.
Aurore
Weasel

Postby Aurore » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:12 pm

I don't quite understand your reply. You seem to suggest that mongoose wanted to switch to a new system. What plans was is that Conan Properties did not accept?

Can't think of a good reason to switch systems. Some prefer RQ some d20. The choice of systems when between these two is fairly dramatic, as by and large d20 allows for much more high powered games than RQ. RQ is fine for gritty realistic games where one bad die roll results in your head coming off, and no matter what you do you can only make this less likely, not impossible. This is fine for 'low fantasy'. For heroic fantasy, d20 lets you make powerful archmages, barbarian heroes that can take down a small army etc etc. Conan would work in either system, but a RQ based one would not have you playing heroes that could one day hope to compare to Conan himself, so depends on what people want. There is an argument for either. But once the choice is made, I dont see a reason to switch.